Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are your thoughts on graffiti?
Graffiti is a crime. It is breaking the law. Plain and simple. It shouldn't be allowed. I never driven 56 in a "55 MPH" zone. 15 36.59%
Graffiti is a crime... but there are a few people who deserve to showcase their spray painting somewhere. 12 29.27%
Graffiti is a crime, but a part of (mostly) city life. There isn't much we can do about it without infringing on other people's rights. 0 0%
Graffiti has it's place, and can be awesome... But it doesn't have to go away completely. It just needs to show some respect for others. 11 26.83%
Graffiti? F------------ the Man! I'm down with it! 3 7.32%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 09:58 AM

1,312 posts, read 1,874,343 times

Advertisements

Like life, I think this is a complicated issue.

It can be boiled down to black and white, but that, to me at least, takes an overly simplistic and easy approach to it. I think there is tons of gray left in the reduction.

On the whole, I don't think it is something that should be outright condoned. It is still illegal. But then graffiti can also be a medium for a message that wouldn't, or couldn't, be brought through the "proper" legal channels.

I don't think that "tagging" (initials or a name) just for the sake of tagging should be acceptable anywhere. It is the equivalent of pulling out your D------- and P--------- your name in the snow. It may be "cool" or build "cred" to do so, but it is still just a matter of, "I want to, therefore, I do". And just doing something because a person wants to, disregarding other people's "I want to..." promise of life in America, is reprehensible.

But then again, some of the graffiti has real skill and talent behind it. Artists with an idea, thought, or message that can't or won't be displayed to an audience that it is intended for. Spray pairing a mural or design on a Dan Ryan overpass may be the only way a person(s) can reach the intended audience without all the (unnecessary) bureaucracy that comes with the "legal" channels of expression.

What are your thoughts?

I would like to see areas set up throughout the city that are designated "graffiti" areas. Get students or aspiring artists to draw up ideas for graffiti ready structures and statues that are solely intended to be spray painted. Amorphous concrete statues/structures come to mind. They would be works of art in themselves, but would allow people to spray paint what they wanted on these plain gray structures.

Put video monitoring equipment around these parks and keep track of who is showing up, and who is taking part. Think the "free zone" from "The Wire", but graffiti instead of heroin. Get a bead on gangs. Funnel the "turf wars" into one area, and have police on standby to arrest malcontents.

I don't want to see graffiti completely gone from the city, but I do want the needless "P---------- in the snow" to stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 10:03 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,685,066 times
I can see a time and place for things like this:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_8o0K6rar8h...OBS-Crew_2.jpg

I can do without this:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_xAIPlt0aZQ...ti.preview.jpg

Old 04-12-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
I can see a time and place for things like this:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_8o0K6rar8h...OBS-Crew_2.jpg

I can do without this:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_xAIPlt0aZQ...ti.preview.jpg
That's what I'm saying. The second is nothing but a, "I was here!" legal infraction. It serves no legitimate purpose.

At least give those type of people the option to do that S----------- in a designated area that police watch and can catch any other illegal activities happening there.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:22 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,999,765 times
I don't care for graffiti and if it was all or none, I would definitely choose none.

I personally don't care if someone has "a message" and can't figure out any other way to share it with others; that does not give them any right to deface property that isn't theirs. I don't understand why someone can't paint their art on a board or on their own property. That said, I think that when graffiti is done artfully it's alright to look at. I'm still not a huge fan but I can deal with it.

I think if someone has a compelling message that they just desperately need to get out they should find a way to do it that doesn't deface the property of others. Why not think outside of the box and get permission first?

Old 04-12-2012, 02:55 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,176,868 times
I don't have any thoughts on graffiti.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:57 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,789,456 times
Well said Niki.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I don't care for graffiti and if it was all or none, I would definitely choose none.

(1)I personally don't care if someone has "a message" and can't figure out any other way to share it with others; that does not give them any right to deface property that isn't theirs. (2) I don't understand why someone can't paint their art on a board or on their own property. That said, I think that when graffiti is done artfully it's alright to look at. I'm still not a huge fan but I can deal with it.

I think if someone has a compelling message that they just desperately need to get out they should find a way to do it that doesn't deface the property of others. (3) Why not think outside of the box and get permission first?
1. Like I said, defacing property is still a crime, and something I don't think is right in itself.

2. Because people might not look at "their property". A Dan Ryan overpass gets more viewers than a house on a secluded block in the middle of a neighborhood off a one-way street. And I'm not sure about Illinois or Chicago law, but there could very well be something that prevents someone from turning their own property into a giant canvas.

3. That statement makes no sense, to me at least. Getting permission to do something is "outside the box"? So the person that has a negative message they want to convey about the mayor needs to ask the mayor for his permission to express it? Outside the box? I think not.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:14 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,999,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
3. That statement makes no sense, to me at least. Getting permission to do something is "outside the box"? So the person that has a negative message they want to convey about the mayor needs to ask the mayor for his permission to express it? Outside the box? I think not.
Well, it isn't as though graffiti is the only way someone can express their thoughts. If a person hates the mayor they can protest, start a petition, start a website, etc. There are plenty of legal ways to express yourself. I just don't see the need for graffiti, regardless of a person's message.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:15 PM

400 posts, read 959,210 times
I agree that Graffiti does play a role in the city and will always be around,
but it shouldnt completely saturate an area. And I like nicer pieces, freehand or stenciled stuff. Gang Graffiti is something I ALWAYS cover up. It ugly and creates an unsafe environment. If Graffiti looks okay I leave it alone.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:57 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,959,498 times
Tagging or graffiti is defacing private or public property and should be a crime. I do believe there are street artists who should have their work shown and I would support a program where they could showcase their works somewhere legally. This is different than somebody coming and putting gang signs on my house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago