Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 04:35 PM

894 posts, read 2,383,813 times

Advertisements

Another cop charged in towing scam

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/01/another-cop-charged-in-towing-scam.html (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 05:15 PM

179 posts, read 481,367 times
Lately? Looking back on the colorful history of the CPD scamming can probably be considered an improvement.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:18 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,220,382 times
Nothing new with the CPD - just seems like they're cracking down on them more. May have something to do with all of the precinct commanders being replaced last year.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:18 PM

467 posts, read 875,121 times
To my disbelief I have to agree with everything that has been said here...

When will be the time when Chicago gets an independent civilian complaint review board?

Old 01-28-2009, 09:21 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,826,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocatusdiavoli View Post
To my disbelief I have to agree with everything that has been said here...

When will be the time when Chicago gets an independent civilian complaint review board?
I suspect it will happen after some well-connected white people get a dose of police abuse...

Old 01-28-2009, 10:47 PM

179 posts, read 481,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I suspect it will happen after some well-connected white people get a dose of police abuse...
If you get abused you're obviously not well-connected enough.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:11 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,358,196 times
any way we can get that 14yo kid back in uniform and on the job? he seemed quite willing to do the actual job.

Last edited by eevee; 01-28-2009 at 11:13 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 01-29-2009, 07:42 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,826,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage Control Freak View Post
If you get abused you're obviously not well-connected enough.
There was an incident in Uptown a few years ago where some cops were basically gay-bashing a guy. He was a white professional man. The same could be said for the guys at that bar downtown that got into a fight with the cops. White businessmen. But obviously, they weren't "connected" well enough to avoid this treatment. Or perhaps no one is safe from these thugs.

New York's most publicized cases of police abuse occurred during the Giuliani era, which was a time of rapid decreases in crime. If our cops are beating the hell out of innocent citizens, shouldn't we at least get a lower crime rate out of the deal?

Old 01-29-2009, 07:57 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,965,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
any way we can get that 14yo kid back in uniform and on the job? he seemed quite willing to do the actual job.
haha agreed.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:24 AM

467 posts, read 875,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Usually lawsuits and settlements are great incentives. After a while the city realizes that it is just to costly to keep "unbalanced" cops on the force and makes changes. Otherwise, what incentive do they have ti improve? Public opinion?

What was really funny is when I read about Daley bashing the PD for the 14 years old affair in yesterday's Sun-Times. It looks like he is trying to distance himself from the department that he is running as part of the city government. It is pretty funny, he is the mayor, he appoints the commisioner and then he bashes his own department instead of apologizing to everyone for the snaffu.

CPD overall does not resemble an advanced police force. For starters cops uniform regulations are pretty lax as some wear headgear, some don't, the uniforms are kind of sloppy looking and undefined with plenty of department issued different shirts, hats, pants etc etc. You see cops with visible tattoos, long hair and beards: they just do not look sharp at all. I think CPD needs to start with improving its internal discipline, it has to shape up it is ever going to deal with the crime in the city. As the data shows in current state it is not able to do it. Wild-west lone ranger mentality has to go. The city needs a well organized, equipped, trained and disciplined department.

Unfortunately, seems like Daley's efforts are half-assed: he assigns a new commisioner, he makes some top level personnel changes but it all seems like an attempt to do as little as possible, just to appeas the public. Half-assed efforts usually bring half-assed results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago