Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 07:36 AM

734 posts, read 1,082,626 times

Advertisements

Hey,

I just wanted to post this thread to find out how the transplant are handling themselves in this big city that is Chicago. I currently live in Houston and will be looking to move to Chicago in the near future; I was wondering how individuals are coping to the city life. How is the safety and neighborhoods treating you. How are local Bars and clubs treating new transplants. Are the people as friendly as where you came from?

Sorry if a similar thread was already started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 07:38 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,102,314 times
While i'm not a transplant, I just wanted to point out that there are quite a few resources for newcomers and transplants such as meet-up.com and various online groups that are devoted to connecting people who are new to the city. When you get here I suggest you make use of them, I've heard reports that it is a very good way to meet people.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:47 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,843,971 times
I had no problem adjusting. But I moved here from nearby Milwaukee, my girlfriend (now my wife) already lived here, I had been coming to Chicago for years to hang out with friends, and my Mom is from an inner suburb. So Chicago was really quite familiar to me before I changed my zip code.

Last edited by Lookout Kid; 01-15-2009 at 09:52 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-15-2009, 11:09 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,555,545 times
I moved from Florida... loved it... I am now out of Chicago again... but looking for a reason to move back
But I like the urban feel though, you might not... The south lacks this urban life in general... I also like other big cities and for me Chicago gave a less hectic, cleaner version of this at a more affordable price than places like NYC and SF.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:15 AM

328 posts, read 1,398,576 times
Default Took some getting used to

The biggest change for me (and for most people, unless you live in NYC) was getting used to walking. Lots and lots of walking.

As much as I love not owning a car and all the hassles that come with it (cost, parking, etc.), I do sometimes miss the convenience. When you live in Chicago (at least, where I live, in Lakeview), you have to plan your grocery trips and trips to Target/other stores. I have to remember to get my "Granny Cart" to lug it over to Jewel to buy food. And if I see something I want at Target, I have to take a bus 2-3 miles to get to the closest one. I REALLY need to want something in order to invest 40 minutes to go roundtrip to a Target...

Everywhere I have ever lived I owned a car. When I moved here carless, I had a lot to learn...I had to write down what Bus to take and when to press for the bus to stop. It's funny looking back, that I used to write what direction was North and South on the Red Line for using that as well.

The best advice I can give anyone moving here reading this? Buy comfortable shoes (and comfortable flip flops in the summer). It REALLY helped me to use my BlackBerry with Google Maps to get around, since it showed me exact streets and intersections so I knew where to get off with public transportation.

Unless you are coming from New York City or another place with great public transportation, you will have a big learning curve. But, Chicagoans are friendly, and whenever I needed to ask for directions, people helped...and now? I help the others when they need it!

Old 01-15-2009, 11:54 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,963,419 times
I was a Chicago transplant but moved to Houston. Chicago is a great city to live in, especially if your single and have a decent job. Very walkable, and tons of public transport. Many people there are not originally from the area, many midwesterners. Like Houston, its kind of a melting pot for the area. One thing is cost of living...to get a condo somewhere like the south loop you will pay in the area of $225/sqft, while its half that in Houston (Midtown/montrose).

Old 01-15-2009, 12:50 PM

838 posts, read 3,100,966 times
south loop is one of the more affordable neighborhoods in Chicago. Try $700/sqft in near north side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I was a Chicago transplant but moved to Houston. Chicago is a great city to live in, especially if your single and have a decent job. Very walkable, and tons of public transport. Many people there are not originally from the area, many midwesterners. Like Houston, its kind of a melting pot for the area. One thing is cost of living...to get a condo somewhere like the south loop you will pay in the area of $225/sqft, while its half that in Houston (Midtown/montrose).

Old 01-15-2009, 01:05 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,843,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnparker View Post
south loop is one of the more affordable neighborhoods in Chicago. Try $700/sqft in near north side
Units in Trump were selling for almost $1000/SF. The Spire was selling at $1200/SF--which is the highest yet for Chicago. Considering my Buena Park condo was $200/SF and I can be on the doorstep of Trump Tower in fifteen minutes by car, I don't see the benefit to paying that much.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:28 PM

734 posts, read 1,082,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaystraveling25 View Post
The biggest change for me (and for most people, unless you live in NYC) was getting used to walking. Lots and lots of walking.

As much as I love not owning a car and all the hassles that come with it (cost, parking, etc.), I do sometimes miss the convenience. When you live in Chicago (at least, where I live, in Lakeview), you have to plan your grocery trips and trips to Target/other stores. I have to remember to get my "Granny Cart" to lug it over to Jewel to buy food. And if I see something I want at Target, I have to take a bus 2-3 miles to get to the closest one. I REALLY need to want something in order to invest 40 minutes to go roundtrip to a Target...

Everywhere I have ever lived I owned a car. When I moved here carless, I had a lot to learn...I had to write down what Bus to take and when to press for the bus to stop. It's funny looking back, that I used to write what direction was North and South on the Red Line for using that as well.

The best advice I can give anyone moving here reading this? Buy comfortable shoes (and comfortable flip flops in the summer). It REALLY helped me to use my BlackBerry with Google Maps to get around, since it showed me exact streets and intersections so I knew where to get off with public transportation.

Unless you are coming from New York City or another place with great public transportation, you will have a big learning curve. But, Chicagoans are friendly, and whenever I needed to ask for directions, people helped...and now? I help the others when they need it!

Wow guess I'm gonna get a big slap in the face when I move. But as Oildog alluded to; I'm looking to move while im stilll single and would love to experience the Bachelor lifestyle in Chicago. The walking will obviously need some getting used to, because in Houston, people almost spend a quarter of the day inside of their cars.

As for all those hardships you mentioned; Hopefully, i will be making enough to where I live within the loop and a decent distance from a Grocery store. How much do the apartments in the Loop cost? Is it safe?

I dont mind walking as long as there are others doing the same thing and I am not the lone one(in Houston nobody walks and often you see only one or two people on the sidewalks).

However the main opposition from Houstoners about moving to Chicago and up North in general is the fact that the winters are unbearable; getting groceries would be a monumental task. but to me, I wouldnt mind seeing some snow!

Old 01-15-2009, 01:41 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,177,533 times
You don't want to live in the loop. The loop has no grocery stores at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: