Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 04:04 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,163,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
Hahaha i absolutely loven the conversation!

How are the women in Chicago... I'm sure there are many pretty ones but are the women there into only their own crowd or do they go out and try new things. I'm indean and I have no interest in Indean women(i get hell from family members lol) and wanted to know if the women in Chicago go out with other races and dont mind getting away from their own social group. Even though people say that its diverse in Houston there are almost always groups of different race groups; Asians hang out with asians, Indeans hang out with Indeans, White people hang out with other whites etc. Hopefully that wont be the case in Chicago.

I really appreciate the help
Really depends upon socio-economics...more "ethnic" minorities...those who heavily self-segregate in certain parts of a city/suburbs, no matter how upscale...tend to be less well-educated

My father attended Stanford for engineering grad school in '70s...his PhD classmates (and faculty) were a motley crew of Indians, Chinese, Jews, Germans and other Euros and random white Americans....back then, perhaps 60% of his Indian classmates married non-Indians

In more recent times in NYC or SiliconValley's I-banking/hedge fund industry, much of crowd is Jewish, US-born Indian-Americans, US-born EastAsian-Americans, random non-Jewish white guys, etc etc...much cross-cultural socialization...people tend to live/play in whichever suburb/part of city they can afford and enjoy...and date whomever is interesting, no matter race/religion, etc etc

Chicago offices of financial firms tend to have a less cosmopolitan crowd than counterpart offices in NYC or SiliconValley, but suspect the tolerant ethos is largely same in any industry (or part of a city) w/high education and income levels
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 07:51 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Huh?

Old 01-16-2009, 08:20 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,663,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I'm starting to think you're making this stuff up. For all we know, you could be a balding middle-age sanitation worker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Am wondering the same thing.... IMO most beautiful confident Chicago women don't feel the need to try so hard. Wearing revealing cocktail dresses and designer stilettos in sub-zero weather sounds more like a male fantasy to me... But who knows...
Nope. I don't even live in Chicago anymore. Balding middle aged sanitation worker? I know several, if it helps I don't feel that I have anything to gain by telling you this information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
kinda sounds like a drag queen to me....
Oh no, we already have the forum drag queen.

The point to be made, though, is that being well dressed is possible... Even in the heart of winter. It's not something I think I could do every night, but it does work.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:49 AM

734 posts, read 1,080,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Really depends upon socio-economics...more "ethnic" minorities...those who heavily self-segregate in certain parts of a city/suburbs, no matter how upscale...tend to be less well-educated

My father attended Stanford for engineering grad school in '70s...his PhD classmates (and faculty) were a motley crew of Indians, Chinese, Jews, Germans and other Euros and random white Americans....back then, perhaps 60% of his Indian classmates married non-Indians

In more recent times in NYC or SiliconValley's I-banking/hedge fund industry, much of crowd is Jewish, US-born Indian-Americans, US-born EastAsian-Americans, random non-Jewish white guys, etc etc...much cross-cultural socialization...people tend to live/play in whichever suburb/part of city they can afford and enjoy...and date whomever is interesting, no matter race/religion, etc etc

Chicago offices of financial firms tend to have a less cosmopolitan crowd than counterpart offices in NYC or SiliconValley, but suspect the tolerant ethos is largely same in any industry (or part of a city) w/high education and income levels

What; you might have to talk a little more in lay-mans terms.

But I do catch a glimpse of what your saying. It was more feasable and common to have interracial couples; partially because of the lack of the same race being prevalant in those days. But now it has become so much more multi cultural that there are people of the same race and you can truly find people like you within the same race.

And another addition to that is the fact that back then people that were from distant places were considered "rare" and were probably the only one of their race at their school/work. But now these places are very muti-ethnic and easier to classify people.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:45 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
Quote:
If u want "company", I'm sure there are a lot of paid "services" for this (or walk into most bars at 1 am)...
Don't forget the beer goggles and your skills to survive "Coyote Ugly".

Old 01-21-2009, 08:10 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Am wondering the same thing.... IMO most beautiful confident Chicago women don't feel the need to try so hard. Wearing revealing cocktail dresses and designer stilettos in sub-zero weather sounds more like a male fantasy to me... But who knows...
They do in St. Charles! I swear by all thats holy that Ive seen it on several occasions. My wife always comments on how stupid they are, too. It can be 0 degrees outside, and we'll see some girls come out of the bar in short dresses with high heels, trying to look as suave as can be. Deep down inside you know theyre thinking to themselves "**********!!!!!!!!!!"

Old 05-26-2009, 02:11 PM

2,618 posts, read 6,163,797 times
Here's the best way to meet friends in Chicago:

Find an interest, hobby, sport, etc that you are interested in. Chicago is a big enough city that no matter what you're into, you can find others with similar interests. Join a sports team or rec league, join a club, sign up for classes, whatever you like. You will find there are plenty others who share this interest and are very open to making new friends as well.

I personally didn't have many friends my first year except through work. Then I joined a baseball team and some of my best friends today I met from that team, including my current roommate.

I even passed this advice to a new transplant roommate of a friend of mine about joining a group, and he's made some good friends through an improve-class he joined.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:27 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,883,929 times
if you are (or think you could be) musically inclined, the Old Town School of Folk Music group classes are a great way to meet folks.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:35 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,446,874 times
^^ Good for the adults maybe but the class I do with my little one is filled with nannies and posh wasps who give me serious squirrel eye.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:30 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,883,929 times
the kids classes are way different from the ones for adults and teens - I've done some of the wiggleworms classes, I kinda know what you mean (a slice of diversity, they ain't).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: