Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 08:12 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,076,609 times

Advertisements

The Times has an article today on the destruction of the final housing project in Atlanta (Atlanta is the first city apparently to destroy all of its centralized public housing). I'm an avid Times reader but the article illustrates perfectly what frustrates me about that paper sometimes -- the two sides of the argument presented are "good for poor people to not be around only other poor people" vs. "unfair to make poor people move". Never was the negative effect on stable middle-class communities mentioned. I guess the Times is too PC to discuss that.

While I think it is obviously ridiculous to go so far as to say that Section 8 has ruined the country, that argument of the negative impact on stable communities should be addressed by any reasonable analysis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 08:51 AM

1,014 posts, read 3,586,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
The Times has an article today on the destruction of the final housing project in Atlanta (Atlanta is the first city apparently to destroy all of its centralized public housing). I'm an avid Times reader but the article illustrates perfectly what frustrates me about that paper sometimes -- the two sides of the argument presented are "good for poor people to not be around only other poor people" vs. "unfair to make poor people move". Never was the negative effect on stable middle-class communities mentioned. I guess the Times is too PC to discuss that.

While I think it is obviously ridiculous to go so far as to say that Section 8 has ruined the country, that argument of the negative impact on stable communities should be addressed by any reasonable analysis.
I agree with you that section 8 had negative impacts on stable thriving areas and that most certainly needs to be addressed.

Old 06-21-2009, 05:52 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times
Folks want to isolate poor people in 'concentrated, high-rise projects'? I think Section 8 is far superior to us re-building new Robert Taylor's or Pruitt-Igoes. At this point our society sure knows what does not work.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:21 PM

333 posts, read 1,147,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Folks want to isolate poor people in 'concentrated, high-rise projects'? I think Section 8 is far superior to us re-building new Robert Taylor's or Pruitt-Igoes. At this point our society sure knows what does not work.
Right, so instead spread the vermon and criminals all over nice neighborhoods and make all the good, hard working residents deal with these problems. Gee, that sounds fair.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:24 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,076,609 times
Yes, quite a few folks would like to go back to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Folks want to isolate poor people in 'concentrated, high-rise projects'?

Old 06-21-2009, 08:41 PM

49 posts, read 100,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by promis1 View Post
But look at statistics- almost all of the gangbangers and thugs are black and hispanic- lets not sugar coat this.

All of the big three had white male CEOs, so white men can't run car companies. "Let's not sugar coat this." See how foolish that sounds.

Please remember all rectangles are not squares. Maybe because of your thinking is why programs such as section 8 exist. If people did not discriminate and prejudge more individuals would have a fair shot at life.

I take it you would not want to live near someone with section 8 assistance. If you were in position would you offer a job to that same individual?

Old 06-21-2009, 09:23 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,850 times
Maybe this is not particular to the thread, but I have a question...

What did people do before section 8 and government assistance? Has the government always supported the poor? Was there ever a time that it was your own damn prerogative to find a place to live and warm meal? Isn't this what the community and family is for?

I'm not saying government assistance is right or wrong- just asking a question. If Section 8 were to not be in existence, where would all these people go? Be bums roaming the streets?

Old 06-21-2009, 09:32 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoroc View Post
All of the big three had white male CEOs, so white men can't run car companies. "Let's not sugar coat this." See how foolish that sounds.

Please remember all rectangles are not squares. Maybe because of your thinking is why programs such as section 8 exist. If people did not discriminate and prejudge more individuals would have a fair shot at life.

I take it you would not want to live near someone with section 8 assistance. If you were in position would you offer a job to that same individual?
no worse than saying if the CEO's were black the car companies would have no problems.
if it were me i would be far more concerned about black flight --that is the affuent well educated successful black people leaving chicago.
this does far more harm than the "gentrification people" packing up.
people dont move bek they are offended by skin tone--- they move because they are offended by violence.
a chicago native.
and former resident
s side cicero.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:41 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,445,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
people dont move bek they are offended by skin tone--- they move because
Which came first, the chicken or the egg? Examples of your theory can be found just as examples of white people picking up and moving at the first sight of a black face on their block can be found. Whites definitely seem more prone to move when blacks move in than when Puerto Ricans and Mexicans do, though, and the latter can also bring gangs and violence in to previously safe neighborhoods.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:34 AM

49 posts, read 100,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
no worse than saying if the CEO's were black the car companies would have no problems.
if it were me i would be far more concerned about black flight --that is the affuent well educated successful black people leaving chicago.
this does far more harm than the "gentrification people" packing up.
people dont move bek they are offended by skin tone--- they move because they are offended by violence.
a chicago native.
and former resident
s side cicero.
[SIZE=3]From my understanding “flight” in this sense means to escape. Also you’re inferring that the same race is solely responsible for those in their group who are less fortunate instead of the entire population (no one should be).[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Lastly, I do not believe middle class blacks “escape” from other blacks. Actually it seems they look for areas that have a sizable black population when moving becomes an option.[/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago