Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2009, 10:49 AM

445 posts, read 1,344,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Whiting happens to be a suburb noted for harshness toward any different type of ethnic group trying to move in, however.
Does "any different" consider the 25% of the population that's made up of Hispanics, who live right there along white people in near total harmony?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 12:00 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPlayer1 View Post
Does "any different" consider the 25% of the population that's made up of Hispanics, who live right there along white people in near total harmony?
When you consider that Whiting borders on Hammond and East Chicago (which have large black populaces) and had a neighborhood insurrection when a black person slept overnight in a Whiting residence in the seventies, yes, there is evidence that different folks are highly suspect. I worked basic steel in East Chicago which required me to pass through Whiting twice a day and which had a strong representation by folks from Whiting so I am familiar with the area and its denizens.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
and had a neighborhood insurrection when a black person slept overnight in a Whiting residence in the seventies
Good to see you're using up-to-date information!

So, for the record, if someone was born on the very day this event occured, they would now be too old to perform on American Idol; today, at this very minute, the person who was born during the "Whiting Neighborhood Insurrection Of The 1970's" would be older than this American Idol contestant.

http://gossipgalore.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/taylor-hicks-jordin-has-more-spark-may-23-2007.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-28-2009, 06:56 PM

So, is all of that to say I am in error? Address the issue, why dontcha?

Old 05-28-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
So, is all of that to say I am in error? Address the issue, why dontcha?
I did "address the issue".

The imperative isn't on me to prove that something "isn't happening" in the face of a claim that it is. That's called trying to 'prove a negative' and is pointless. The imperative is on you to support your claim of racial hostility with something other than 'hunch' or citing historical data from 30+years ago.

You made a claim that Whiting is hostile to outsiders of other races.
I called BS.
You cited something that happened in the 1970's.
I noted that you're using hilariously outdated information.

The ball's in your court.
You get a bit of a pass since such things are very organic and qualitative so trying to quantify them can be tough, but seriously. About Whiting, you're wrong. Hell, I'm not even all that opposed to open racial hostility in order to preserve the standard of living in a particular community. I'm just saying that when you say it's going on in Whiting, you're incorrect. There are a small handful of communities where it does still go on, Whiting isn't one of them. If Whiting residents still took that hard-ass line about the neighborhood and it translated into a durable fear amongst ghetto trash when it came to their moving into Whiting, I'd probably consider buying/living there. Until I hear of Section 8'ers getting burned out or something a bit solid, I just am not seeing what you are.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:26 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,076,609 times
Swx

Old 05-28-2009, 07:36 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,076,609 times
please ignore. that was the work of a toddler -- I don't think it has any deep meaning. Manigault, you're still up.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:56 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPlayer1 View Post
Hell, I'm not even all that opposed to open racial hostility in order to preserve the standard of living in a particular community.
How nice.

I think I'd like to hear more about this. Exactly what kind of "open racial hostility" are you condoning? Pray tell.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
please ignore. that was the work of a toddler -- I don't think it has any deep meaning. Manigault, you're still up.
All I have is first-hand testimony from Whiting residents who spoke to me. Plus my observance of the conditions in Whiting for years (I was there today!). Folks consider that type of info unreliable so forget it!

Old 05-28-2009, 11:32 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
I think what will happen is eventually not every township will "turn" when the Section 8 influence and (likely) crime picks up. Maybe PP is right that Hegewisch will (his argument is solid), but lots of near-in and relatively near-in suburbs e.g. southwest of the city will just become more racially diverse, or have pockets of minorities and/or section 8'ers alongside working class people. Look at Oak Lawn, Evergreen, Summit, Alsip, etc. There are only so many places to go and so many bad people to chase them away. Many areas, even blue collar ones, will become more mixed. People will have to learn to deal with each other.

Of course if you have money you can always escape. I'm talking specifically about working class.

It seem like some people are trying to move away from certain people that the escape routes are getting lesser and lesser every 5 years. You might as well deal with it or move so far that you are out in the boondocks having squirrels and cows as your neighbors. When it comes to race and ethnicity, Chicagoland is a strange place. There are so many South suburban towns and schools that went from predominately one race to being diverse, and now is predominately of one race again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago