Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2009, 10:27 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Aragx,

Avengerfire's comment is not that big of a deal. There are worse things. Maybe, "sweetheart" was unnecessary, but Avengerfire makes a good point.

It is almost entirely blacks and hispanics that are driving around shooting each other, not whites or asians.

White shootings are much much less, even including domestic situations. Whites involved in gang shootings are almost non-existent.
Yeah it is a big deal and you wouldn't do it in person if you know what's good for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 10:33 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
I think the only thing that will save many outer city neighborhoods and inner suburban neighborhoods is the death of automobile-centered transportation (which may or may not happen in our lifetime--but that's another topic). As long as it's easy to just go further out, people will do it to escape whatever reall or imagined threats they see. It's a hassle now to live on the suburban fringe, but what if it were a physical impossibility?

White flight is a scary phenomenon because the decline of a town can be rapid and emotionally jarring, but it will continue to be a game of cat and mouse until our mobility is limited in some respect. To me, the long-term trends point toward more scattered minority populations, and I suspect many suburbs will have a "good part of town" and a "bad part of town" in the future--as the city does now. City neighborhoods will either gentrify and improve, or depopulate and decay like Detroit (note that many city neighborhoods with 90% plus black populations are losing residents rapidly). But it does seem to me that the days of "black city/white suburbs" are coming to an end.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
Lookout stated that there's only a certain amount of black people to go around so eventually they'll run out. I'm saying that is not the case when you consider the black population is growing at a faster rate than the white population. We've all heard that by 2050, whites will be a minority in this country. Which proves my point.
Now I'm curious. I've read several times that the black population in Chicago proper is declining, but what about the entire metro area? Does anyone have stats on this? How has the balance of white/black changed in the metro area over time?

Old 01-30-2009, 11:08 AM

As an architect, I feel compelled to bring up a very significant factor in "white flight" that has been largely ignored so far on this forum: housing stock. Factors like crime, racism, and declining schools certainly do contribute to "white flight"... But sometimes something less insidious, like the declining demand for the predominant housing type in a neighborhood, is an equally important factor.

As we know, the average size of the American single-family home has nearly doubled since World War II. Tastes for housing have changed heavily in favor of larger homes with master baths, walk-in closets, and all of the bells and whistles. Most neighborhoods that experience "White Flight" have an aging housing stock of smaller homes that aren't as appealing as they were when they were first built. These homes were new and shiny when they were first inhabited by white residents, but now show their age and are often considered obsolete. Many people just want more space.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:34 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,871,502 times
Default Sweetheart

Aragx,

You seem like an intelligent person and though you are more liberal than me I basically like you.

That being said, I would not hesitate to call you "sweetheart" in person if I felt like it. It's not that big of a deal. I don't use words like "sweetheart" so you will never have to worry about me calling you that, but I still don't see it as being that bad.

Yeah it is a big deal and you wouldn't do it in person if you know what's good for you.

Unless you plan on shooting me in the head like some of my drug dealing neighbors have threatened to do to me on occasion I would not take such a comment seriously.

I think Avengerfire's comment was not the best, but nothing to get so upset about.

Sometimes, I feel on this forum that I am attending one of those stupid sensitivity course they make you take at work or in college.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:37 PM

968 posts, read 2,665,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
As an architect, I feel compelled to bring up a very significant factor in "white flight" that has been largely ignored so far on this forum: housing stock. Factors like crime, racism, and declining schools certainly do contribute to "white flight"... But sometimes something less insidious, like the declining demand for the predominant housing type in a neighborhood, is an equally important factor.

As we know, the average size of the American single-family home has nearly doubled since World War II. Tastes for housing have changed heavily in favor of larger homes with master baths, walk-in closets, and all of the bells and whistles. Most neighborhoods that experience "White Flight" have an aging housing stock of smaller homes that aren't as appealing as they were when they were first built. These homes were new and shiny when they were first inhabited by white residents, but now show their age and are often considered obsolete. Many people just want more space.
Yeah, I forget who coined it, but there's a saying that goes something like :
" There's no new lower income housing getting developed..just older middle income housing .."

Old 01-31-2009, 09:36 AM

333 posts, read 1,147,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Aragx,

Avengerfire's comment is not that big of a deal. There are worse things. Maybe, "sweetheart" was unnecessary, but Avengerfire makes a good point.

It is almost entirely blacks and hispanics that are driving around shooting each other, not whites or asians.

White shootings are much much less, even including domestic situations. Whites involved in gang shootings are almost non-existent.
Great point- that is the bottom line.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:25 PM

3 posts, read 6,248 times
clearly RACE is an issue to some...

First off-
Illegals is such an ugly term. I can only ask you refer to them as immigrants.
Yes, I know they break the law, but they don't do it in a Manson Family type of way, so let's not dehumanize them.

Language can pose problems, but it is not the problem.
Language is part of a culture. Let's be welcoming instead of frightening.

REALiTY--
Let's look not look so much at the little guy "buying" a home, but at the big guy "lending" the money.

The AMERICAN DREAM died when it was bought and sold.

And as for those struggling in poverty in such a rich (definition in this context: having an abundant supply of desirable qualities and resources) city-

Who is supplying the guns?
Who is selling the cars?

How can this even occur in the first place?!

Who round up all the poor people into housing projects?
Today--in whole neighborhoods?

Segregation and isolation from everyone.
How else are people supposed to act and react?

The lack of education and resources can hurt anyone.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:31 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Oh shut up.

Old 02-01-2009, 05:50 AM

333 posts, read 1,147,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Oh shut up.
Thank you for quieting down that absurd post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago