Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 07:49 AM

18 posts, read 28,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc2 View Post
Sorry I meant Broadway and Lawrence.

Need Freedom, I actually meant Logan Square. I love Lincoln Square but many of the hipsters and *genuine* struggling artists I know live in Logan Square. Have you looked there yet?
Yeah, I've looked into Logan Square, but I'm still doing my research. LS is the main place that I'm considering right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 09:51 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
What does anyone think of the South Shore? it doesn't get much word of mouth with the tech-savvy crowd, but it's probably more car-friendly some some areas, still has trains to downtown, and has some of its own culture. I wouldn't want to recommend it myself because I don't have enough direct knowledge of it, but I've always though it should get more press than it does.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:56 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
...South Shore? it doesn't get much word of mouth...
It is not mentioned because it is kinda shady and there really is not much to do. Not to mention it is not really "diverse"-at all.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:12 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times
Pilsen, Logan Square, West Town, Ukrainian Village. Humboldt Park and Little Village are doable but a little rougher. Bridgeport used to be racist but it's mostly a thing of the past. I know a black couple who has an apartment down there and they don't have any problems. I think the racist violence was out of fear of the black people taking over the neighborhood during the second great migration, but now that the influx of black people to the city has stopped and it is no longer as easy and profitable to turn a neighborhood black overnight, there's not much of a cause for racism anymore.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:01 AM

1 posts, read 827 times
Honestly, a lot of places in a big city like Chicago can be dangerous or have crime occur. I know more people in Wicker Park that have been robbed/broken into than I have in Logan Square. It's hard to put blanket statements over whole neighorhoods. Lock your windows, lock your doors, watch your back, be aware, don't walk by yourself at night, play it safe. Yes, stay away from certain neighborhoods, but overall, you'll be fine. Look at places in Logan Square or north/east Humboldt Park (right near Armitage & Humboldt, Armitage & Kedzie, Armitage & California....don't go much further west or south than that). Logan is starting to get expensive but you can still find some good deals. Do a room-mate search on craigslist, you can find something for $300-$350 a month, but it may not include utilities. The more roommates, the cheaper it will be.

GET RID OF THE CAR! If there's one thing this city doesn't need, it's more cars. Parking is a *****, insurance is expensive, gas is expensive, etc. You'll be better off not paying for all of that and buying a monthly $86 CTA pass.

This is all just my opinion, of course. Good luck..I hope you've actually found something by now...but if not, good luck...

Old 03-30-2010, 11:15 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Actually, most of my car-defensiveness comes from being a musician. You can't take the CTA home from a gig that ended at 2 am in Uptown with guitars, amps, drums, etc. Cabs can be an option, but depends on the size of your rig. Every working jazz musician knows that double bass player who always needs a ride for him/her and that gargantuan instrument (which we love so much we deal with, mind you).

Just keep one thing in mind about "hipsters" - while they all at least claim to be into local music, good luck getting most of them to actually pay even a nominal cover to support it. Most live music venues in Chicago are really just bars using music to sell booze. Not saying that's a huge problem, but it's as hard for a venue to make it in the long run as a musician here, sadly, booze pays the bills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago