Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 12:52 PM

668 posts, read 2,358,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenwood5 View Post
You sound as though you're fromm mayberry. I also have a hard time believing you were accepted to u of c. Please don't move to chicago. We have an overabundance of your type here. They are not apreciated by natives. Galoshes? lol
Yeah your right, we don't like outsiders, so why don't u go back to where u came from and quit actin like u from 5 different places. u phony b**ch.

Keep my city's name up out ur mouth.

Last edited by Banx; 12-12-2008 at 01:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 04:30 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,989,184 times
I got my degree from U of C. My first year there, 78-79, was the snowiest and 2nd coldest on record. I saw people cross country skiing down the streets of Hyde Park. If they cancelled classes at all (I can't remember for sure) it was for only 1 day. We had continuous snow cover for 100 days.

If you live in a dorm, you probably won't be more than 10 or 15 minutes from your classes. I loved studying in Harper Library, but at least at the time, you needed gloves inside in the winter. I never needed a car and have never ever needed a down coat. You'll probably be so busy that you won't have that much time for exploring the rest of the city.

You probably will want a couple of coats for varying weather. I have a leather jacket and a faux shearling that weighs a ton, so I wear it on only the coldest days. I also have several lighter jackets that I can layer underneath. Layering is your friend in winter. So is wool. Don't wash your wool sweaters in the washing machine - I saw some guy do that, they were doll sized when he took them out.

You need good boots. The little orientation book that they mailed to us made a point of telling the kids from NYC that they shouldn't wait for winter quarter to bring their winter coat, that they would need it in November and December. On the other hand, I remember playing softball on the Midway in March a couple of times.

Make sure you are really serious about academics. I was kind of a slacker my first year and I'm very disappointed with how poorly I did that year.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:25 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banx View Post
Yeah your right, we don't like outsiders, so why don't u go back to where u came from and quit actin like u from 5 different places. u phony b**ch.

Keep my city's name up out ur mouth.
Hmm I thought you live in Florida now?

Old 12-12-2008, 11:02 PM

668 posts, read 2,358,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Hmm I thought you live in Florida now?
I'm still in the process of deciding. I've been down in West Palm Beach n Miami since Thanksgiving, but I'm headin back north on Sunday. Depends on schools n what not, n where I can get accepted.

Still doesn't change the fact that that guy's a damn tool and a troll.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:27 AM

11 posts, read 20,655 times
Well thanks to everyone who replied to my thread. I haven't really been on this site very much in the past 2 weeks, but I already withdrew my applications from all of the others colleges that I applied to last week and I've reserved a seat for the class of 2013 at the UChicago! Wow, I've been so happy it's amazing. I visited Notre Dame, Georgetown, New College of Florida, Hampshire College, and Reed and I think I made the right decision. At UChicago it just seemed as though everyone, as in students, faculty, and administrators, lived lives of the mind and just enjoyed discussing really deep issues, whereas at the other collegees, other than Reed, there was just either a really nasty drug culture or a choking preprofessional atmosphere, but Chicago was just awesome. And I was also amazed at picturesque the campus was, I felt like I was stepping into Hogwarts and that is an environment that I could do some deep thinking in!
Also, the city of Chicago was again, wonderful. It was so clean and imposing. Sorry for the rather lame teenage references but I felt like I was walking down the street of Gotham, from the Batman universe. The cold was really bitter and it was the worst type of cold I'd ever experienced in my life and probably ever will experience, but the city was so pretty and I was so bundled up that it just didn't seem to matter all that much. I just came back to Chicago again, for another visit to the city paid for by my ultra-proud grandparents, and I can see again why I chose this place over Georgetown, although the campus is completely dead due to winter break. So thanks to everyone who posted! Good Night and Merry Christmas, although I'm about 25 hours too short lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago