Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 11:02 AM

838 posts, read 3,097,029 times

Advertisements

yeah, expect the winter temp to dip into 25 below zero worst case with wind chill, but mostly its in single digits or teens for much of the winter time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 11:58 AM

335 posts, read 424,057 times
I went to the UofC for undergrad, majoring in Chemistry.

I was robbed once, in my third year. A young African-American man told me to give him money or he would blow my brains out. It happened a block outside my dorm, MacLean House.

Old 12-10-2008, 02:42 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,740,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siobhandem View Post
I went to the UofC for undergrad, majoring in Chemistry.

I was robbed once, in my third year. A young African-American man told me to give him money or he would blow my brains out. It happened a block outside my dorm, MacLean House.
I'm sure that must have been extraordinarily frightening.

But, on the other hand, I don't think that is indicative of U of C in particular. Most college campuses are considered prime crime targets, and without you giving any more details of your experience at the University it's tough to figure out what you are saying.

I would just say to the OP that I wouldn't let one person being mugged influence where you want to go to school. Stuff like that happens at most college campuses in most areas. The University has excellent security and excellent services available to get students home safe. Your job is to develop some street smarts, be aware of your surroundings, and not make yourself a target.

What are your other college choices, by the way? Unless you have offers from much better schools, I think it would be crazy to not go to U of C because of weather or crime.

Old 12-10-2008, 02:58 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times
After graduating from the U of C (three years when I did not own a car and took public trans everywhere and at all times of day) I've been in Hyde Park for about 30 years. Never a problem. Never. I wear my game face. In that time my next door neighbor was mugged, as was my wife. The sum total lost was less than $100.

I've lost three lawn mowers out of my garage, however. They must be running away. So now I hire a service to cut my miniscule lawn for me.

I did get accosted by a drunk recently, however. That happened on the NU campus in Evanston. I beat him up. Where was my catalytic converter stolen? Lincoln Park.

Be alert. Wear your game face.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:03 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,076,609 times
25 years on and off in Hyde Park and no one has ever bothered me either. My stuff gets stolen and my car used to get messed with all the time, though.

Personally, I know every square inch of HP and mainly just avoid being totally isolated after dark. Otherwise, I feel as safe there as anywhere. I was assaulted once west of Washington Park in the 80s (stupid place to be in that era at night) and once in Jackson, MS.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:35 PM

734 posts, read 2,053,919 times
The winter really isn't bad- just don't stand outside for a long time. After being in the military no cold is very bad if you can go inside within 15-20 minutes. If you're gonna be out that long, dress warm. If you're not gonna dress warm, don't go out for more than 5 minutes (I mean, you can get your mail in shorts if you're just running in and running out).

The worst part about Hyde Park is it's total lack of nightlife, but if you got into U of C that probably doesn't bother you too much.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
The winter really isn't bad- just don't stand outside for a long time. After being in the military no cold is very bad if you can go inside within 15-20 minutes. If you're gonna be out that long, dress warm. If you're not gonna dress warm, don't go out for more than 5 minutes (I mean, you can get your mail in shorts if you're just running in and running out).

The worst part about Hyde Park is it's total lack of nightlife, but if you got into U of C that probably doesn't bother you too much.
Someone should inform the CTA of that... would be nice if buses kept that in mind for their schedules in the winter, lol! S

Old 12-12-2008, 08:04 AM

5 posts, read 11,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix2college View Post
Hi I'm 17yr old high school student who just found out through a likely acceptance letter that I've been accetped to the University of Chicago. As far as academics go the college is really unbeatable, small class sizes, a rigorous core curriculum, and a rich intellectual atmosphere. However, there are two things that I'm a bit concerned about, winters in Chicago and crime so I'd like some input to help me make a more informed decision.
First how bad are Chicago's winters really? I was born and raised in Chandler, AZ, a suburb of Phoenix, and our winters are just beautiful but I'm wondering how hard the adjustment will be to Chicago's climate. Also since Hyde Park, U Chicago's home neighborhood, is located along the shore of Lake Michigan, is the temperature more moderate than that of a few miles inland or is it more wild? Is the wind speed faster or calmer along the shore than further inland?
My second question is about crime in the area. In Chandler the worst it gets is some wannabe cholos and wiggers, they're really harmless but I'm guessing just want to stand out, but it's my understanding that the South Side of Chicago isn't home to wannabes but the real deal, a real ghetto. Is this true? Is Hyde Park safer than the rest of the South Side? Is Hyde Park a pretty neighborhood or is it run down and gritty?
Oh and this isn't really a big concern of mine but I'll ask anyway, how are the people in Chicago? Are they more Midwestern friendly or more like the people on the East Coast, rude and always pissed off? I know the East Coast reference is a gross generalization but whenever I've visited family in Boston the locals have been so mean.
You sound as though you're fromm mayberry. I also have a hard time believing you were accepted to u of c. Please don't move to chicago. We have an overabundance of your type here. They are not apreciated by natives. Galoshes? lol

Old 12-12-2008, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenwood5 View Post
You sound as though you're fromm mayberry. I also have a hard time believing you were accepted to u of c. Please don't move to chicago. We have an overabundance of your type here. They are not apreciated by natives. Galoshes? lol
Don't listen to this person, Phoenix. If anything, Chicago has an overabundance of elitist jerks.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:18 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenwood5 View Post
I have a hard time believing you know squat about the admissions process at U of C given that you can't spell appreciated or use proper capitalization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago