Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 06:27 AM

364 posts, read 1,568,411 times

Advertisements

...says the person who spends so much time sitting on their ass that they average 350 posts a MONTH, just on here alone...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 07:36 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,983,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkkt6 View Post
...says the person who spends so much time sitting on their ass that they average 350 posts a MONTH, just on here alone...
He has so many posts because he's always helping people..

Old 11-20-2008, 07:49 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,340,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkkt6 View Post
that's b/c, unlike you, there are posters here who spend their time actually posting HELPFUL advice to the people who post here. don't know what's your hang up over how much people posts. don't you have your own life to tend to? if people want to spend some time posting on a forum, why do you freaking care so much?

go away already; you've already posed 56 posts in 11 days, and most of them were BS (since you're so caught up on post counts)

ETA: your not going to last long on online forums if you don't put any effort into answering some of your own easy questions. people here aren't always going to hand over answers on a silver platter. people, it's called a "search function", use them, both for the internet at large and the search function on this site

Old 11-20-2008, 08:27 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,613,768 times
OK guys enough is enough. Back on topic... or is there even anything left to say? LOL ...

I'll say this: To me, it's not the sales tax or the income tax that will make me leave Chicago. It'll be property taxed -- they are horrific.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:15 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,258,305 times
I think it's a look at total cost of living. Taxes are big part. Housing costs, utilities, fuel, groceries, clothing, education and recreation. Also factor in long-term job market and earning power. Did this last spring comparing with Texas. Overall cost of living was lower in Texas. However, utilities seemed to be as much if not more because of needing more A/C. Of course with the volatility of Natural gas prices sometimes heating in winter costs more than cooling during a TX summer. Texas board is full of valid post about high property taxes. Using % of home value, they are more than Chicago area. Overall, if you stay in house under 3300SF, they are lower becasue homes are overall significantly cheaper for same size house. They also have no state income tax. I do know the Chicago job-market is relatively stable and pays well. I percieve that some industries pay less in TX. Then comes final consideration which is personal preferences and happiness. Chicago has a tendency to promote the growth of very strong roots for those who have lived here a while or grew up here. Despite my beefs with the winter cold & gray (getting older sucks & I'm not even "old" yet) this is a very liveable and desirable area. Family, good suburban school systems, good job opportunities and wonderful summers keep me here. Higher cost of living compared with many areas of the country I would seek to live in (that excludes most of the coasts)the inept Il & Cook County political fiefdom, and the winter climate stir my wander-lust to leave. I hope all of us who are concerned about taxes and cost of living will remember this in 2010 when county and state elctions are held. The Chicago Tribune is reminding us every day on the bottom of their editorial page with a ticker that states how many days we have paid more sales tax and how many more days until we can do something about it via our vote.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:51 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,422,206 times
Chicago vs Rest of USA.
- income tax is 1/2 of average being 3% most being 6% like MO and WI.
- Sales tax in Cook County obscene; Downtown, Ludicrous.
- Property taxes also bad. Numerous other fees as well
- Traffic awful same as NYC, CA, ATL. Parking is ludicrous.
- Weather is terrible
- housing and Utilities very high but not as bad as some other places CA again
- Politics corrupt beyond belief. We are a national joke and the politicians barely hide it anymore. We are worse than New Orleans and Detroit. Despite paying more and more the government particularly in Cook County offers less and less. State and Cook county gov's nonfunctional.

I have lived here all my life, but now that I am beginning my career I am leaving. I wouldn't mind living in IL but away from Chicago.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:18 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,779,208 times
Compared to WI, our property taxes are quite low. My parents' house and my condo have a similar value, and I pay about HALF of what they pay--and I'd say they have a much lower level of services in return than a typical Chicagoland resident.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:37 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,248,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Compared to WI, our property taxes are quite low. My parents' house and my condo have a similar value, and I pay about HALF of what they pay--and I'd say they have a much lower level of services in return than a typical Chicagoland resident.
Help me understand what that last statement means. What kind of additional services could a Chicagoland resident expect above that of a WI resident?

Old 11-21-2008, 03:20 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,600,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Help me understand what that last statement means. What kind of additional services could a Chicagoland resident expect above that of a WI resident?
Better and much more frequent snow clearing from roads.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,725 times
Default tax

hi my name is lionel i want to know why the sales tax is 10.25 keep it like 8.25 or 9.25
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: