Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 01:35 PM

537 posts, read 1,034,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydbarrett View Post
Someone that has been familiar with Portage Park for a few decades would, which I trust you have not been.
What part of my not that PART of Portage Park did you miss? Sure the southern edge between Addison and Belmont has gotten worse, but not the far northeast corner. This leads me believe either you didn't look at the address or you're not as familiar with Portage Park as you think you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 01:35 PM

427 posts, read 463,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
One that is that new? The place is only seven years old or so and it looks like it won't need any significant work for decades.
Just because something is a few years old does not mean it was constructed properly.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcho View Post
What part of my not that PART of Portage Park did you miss? Sure the southern edge closer to Addision has gotten worse, but not the far northeast corner. This leads me believe either you didn't look at the address or you're not as familiar with Portage Park as you think you are.
The part of Portage Park around Six Corners is going down too, not as fast as down by Addison, but it is going down just the same. Wait till you see what it is like in ten years.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:59 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,525,348 times
Quote:
Just because something is a few years old does not mean it was constructed properly.
Oh, I agree, but barring evidence that the townhome in question may be poorly constructed, I do wonder if you'd find an older home that is totally renovated from top to bottom for that price, which looks as good as that one and which has all modern conveniences, in an area as reasonable as that. I mean, it's no Old Irving Park, but it's not Englewood or North Lawndale, either.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Oh, I agree, but I do wonder if you'd find an older home that is totally renovated from top to bottom for that price, which looks as good as that one and which has all modern conveniences, in an area as reasonable as that.
Maybe not, but the money saved on the purchase could be spent to make improvements. Look at this place for 186k:

4939 West Warwick Avenue, Chicago IL | MLS# 07844790 - Trulia

I would take it in a heartbeat over that condo and be happy without making any improvements.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:13 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,525,348 times
Quote:
Maybe not, but the money saved on the purchase could be spent to make improvements. Look at this place for 186k:

I would take it in a heartbeat over that condo and be happy without making any improvements.
I've always thought that the area where this bungalow is located is stable enough, alright, if maybe a little more hit or miss than the streets immediately to the north, across Irving Park. It's just an impression that I've been left with, however, and it may well be wrong. Whatever the case may be, this place is also a very good deal.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
I've always thought that the area where this bungalow is located is stable enough, alright, if maybe a little more hit or miss than the streets immediately to the north, across Irving Park. It's just an impression that I've been left with, however, and it may well be wrong. Whatever the case may be, this place is also a very good deal.
It is sketchy around there. I just used it as a quick example of finding a really good SFH for far less money than that condo.

Old 07-20-2011, 04:19 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:

And you'd pay more per square foot for it than you would for a brand-new townhouse needing no updates at all and in a better part of PP. Yet you don't recognize the townhouse as a bargain.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:06 AM

537 posts, read 1,034,844 times
Quote:

You would take that place in a substantially worse section of Portage Park? That makes no sense at all.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcho View Post
You would take that place in a substantially worse section of Portage Park? That makes no sense at all.
Sure I would, because in a few years Six Corners will be just as bad as Addison and Cicero.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago