Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 09:52 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,815,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Yeah. The Dems promised that after 2000.They ran off that promise to gain control.

They have control of congress now. Have they tried to do it? Nope. They need to be held accountable.

I do not think it has been brought up in session since 2000.

The electoral college might very well put their man in this year.

Therefore they are in no hurry to get rid of the electoral college.
Changing the Constitution is no easy task. It takes more than slim Congressional majorities to do it--and it should be a bi-partisan issue anyway. It could potentially hurt both parties to not have a popular vote determine the President, though the Dems were the most recent victims of this outdated system.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:55 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,641,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Changing the Constitution is no easy task. It takes more than slim Congressional majorities to do it--and it should be a bi-partisan issue anyway. It could potentially hurt both parties to not have a popular vote determine the President, though the Dems were the most recent victims of this outdated system.

The House is not under "slim" majority-the Senate is however, but I have not seen the Dems even bringing the electoral system at all after 2001.

What is good for the goose is good for the gander indeed.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:49 PM

184 posts, read 766,781 times
It makes no sense for the Dems to push for the popular vote when there's so much vote-count and disqualification cheating going on by the republicans. Once the cheating gets under control I'm all for getting rid of the Electoral College.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:08 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,641,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel2000 View Post
It makes no sense for the Dems to push for the popular vote when there's so much vote-count and disqualification cheating going on by the republicans. Once the cheating gets under control I'm all for getting rid of the Electoral College.
HUH?

Old 10-29-2008, 11:19 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,251,821 times
Let's either keep this related to this forum (Chicago) or take it back to P&OC where you can continue to debate.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:41 AM

233 posts, read 701,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Getting rid of the electoral college would be a start.
I don't want to live in a democracy, this country was not intended to be a democracy ("a republic if you can keep it") and the day they abolish the electoral college is the day I quit voting.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:52 AM

2,522 posts, read 4,394,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Yeah. The Dems promised that after 2000.They ran off that promise to gain control.

They have control of congress now. Have they tried to do it? Nope. They need to be held accountable.

I do not think it has been brought up in session since 2000.

The electoral college might very well put their man in this year.

Therefore they are in no hurry to get rid of the electoral college.

Sad, but true.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:54 AM

233 posts, read 701,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
I concur and would like to add Todd Stroger son of John, Emil Jones, son of Emil Jones, Dan Lipinski son of Bill Lipinski just for starters. I spent a lot of my life in Chicago, and there's not a day that I don't miss it, but would not want to go back to that corrupt feudalistic environment. In my youth Chicago was much more prosperous and liveable, despite the endemic corruption. Now the hassle just outweighs everything that once made the place great. The Republican Party has just been blown off the map, not just in Chicagoland, but pretty much the whole state. Chicago and Illinois resemble the old Politburo. Now you're poised to export this to the rest of the country. Wonderful.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:55 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,243,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAI126 View Post
I don't want to live in a democracy, this country was not intended to be a democracy ("a republic if you can keep it") and the day they abolish the electoral college is the day I quit voting.
Let's see... the Senate race in Illinois is a foregone conclusion (can anyone even name Durbin's opponent?) and so is the Congressional race in my district. And so is Illinois electoral college delegation. Absent the latter, at least I might have some reason to vote, so it's the electoral college that has ultimately caused me to not bother voting this time around. That and I've decided to stop pretending like government acts in anyone's interest but its own.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:09 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,815,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAI126 View Post
Why? That makes no sense whatsoever. The Electoral College is largely symbolic now, and is just a bad way to tally votes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago