Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 10:55 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,216,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
I know some yuppies will be offended but I would argue your stuff is more likely to be stolen out of your car in Lincoln Park or that type of area than Humboldt Park, at least the part where I live north of grand (non blacks don't go south of grand generally).
I've had similar experiences. The only 2 times my car has been broken into have been in Lakeview and Lincoln Park. I don't keep anything of value in my car - one time they took some change I keep for parking meters and another time I think someone broke the window to get a pack of smokes (it was an empty pack on the seat and it was on the street when I returned to find my window smashed). I've had no problems in Logan Square.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 11:00 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,874,923 times
Default NY Rules

You don't think you get the most bang for your buck stealing jewelry (most likely costume jewelry) from Wal-Mart where the most expensive ring might be $500. I am going to have to check the jewelry section of the Austin in Wal-Mart. I am guessing there is nothing over $200, but will let you guys know.

I have yet to have them ask me for my receipt while walking out of that Wal-Mart in Austin in over 2 years of shopping there. Yet, virtually everyone else (mostly mexican and black) gets asked. What is ironic is that the vast majority of those working there are black.

Thieves will target anyone they can get stuff from easily. If I leave my car unlocked in a bad area like Englewood or Austin for an extended period of time I have no doubt someone will take the change out of my change area by the gear shift or possibly try to steal my car.

I was on date last night and I made a comment to my date that they were much more likely to try to take her 2007 Lexus than my 2001 Lincoln.

I have had people in Humboldt Park break in and take whatever they could from my garage including a weed wacker and a lawn mower, which they might have been able to get $50 for if they are likely at some pawn shop.

Thieves are in every neighborhood but the thieves will higher skills will focus on better targets in more affluent areas.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:36 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,963,505 times
out of curiosity... For everyone that has had their car broken into in the city how much does a new window cost and how long does it take for a shop to put in? Just in case I ever have this problem. I live in a pretty ****ty part of town and park my decently nice car outside 2 nights a week or so. Knock on wood no one has broken into it yet in the city

Old 10-27-2008, 06:39 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,079,974 times
I call Gerber. They show up within an hour and take care of it on the spot for 200-350 depending on the window. I've called so many times I think they recognize my voice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
out of curiosity... For everyone that has had their car broken into in the city how much does a new window cost and how long does it take for a shop to put in? Just in case I ever have this problem. I live in a pretty ****ty part of town and park my decently nice car outside 2 nights a week or so. Knock on wood no one has broken into it yet in the city

Old 10-27-2008, 06:59 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,467,387 times
1. As the economy gets worse, so will crime. That's why you're noticing an uptick in Lincoln Park. There's probably an uptick everywhere.

2. The best way to keep your windows from getting smashed by a thief is to leave the car unlocked. If you think it'll get stolen, put a Club or similar device on the steering wheel.

For much of my life, I lived in urban fringe areas. When times are hard, more people steal. If you keep nothing in your car that's worth stealing and leave the doors unlocked, the windows remain intact. Your car door may be ajar one morning, but on that morning, everyone else's windows will be smashed. (Speaking from experience.)

Also, unless you have some unique cherry car, car thieves are opportunists who don't want to get caught. They're out trolling for something easy to steal. If your Honda has a Club on the steering wheel, it's not worth their effort, since there are more Hondas without Clubs on the next block. Think of it this way: Most car thieves are teenagers. Fortunately, most teenagers are lazy.

Lastly, a warning about a year early: If times get bad enough, "smash and grab" will make a comeback. Don't keep anything valuable on the seat next to you when you're driving. Put it under your legs or in the trunk. If someone dicey is hanging out on the curb and you're approaching a red light, there's no law that says you have to drive up to the red light. Take your time getting there or don't get there at all.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:10 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,636,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohdane View Post

...2. The best way to keep your windows from getting smashed by a thief is to leave the car unlocked. If you think it'll get stolen, put a Club or similar device on the steering wheel.

...If you keep nothing in your car that's worth stealing and leave the doors unlocked, the windows remain intact. Your car door may be ajar one morning, but on that morning, everyone else's windows will be smashed. (Speaking from experience.)...
Are you insane? Yeah, leave your doors unlocked so someone can hide in the back seat possibly and rob you or worse. Or perhaps you want to get to your car one day and find a stinky homeless person sleeping in there.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:32 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,963,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohdane View Post
If someone dicey is hanging out on the curb and you're approaching a red light, there's no law that says you have to drive up to the red light. Take your time getting there or don't get there at all.
that is some good advice. In sketchy areas I never try to get close to a light or the car in front of me in case something like happens or if a car comes behind me to block me in-that happened a while back to me.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:36 PM

62 posts, read 274,941 times
Quote:
I dropped my car off at safelite this morning and picked it up in the afternoon. My passenger front window was $100 for materials and $60 for labor.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:50 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,045,691 times
Better still, don't keep a car at all. Just ride the transit.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:50 AM

184 posts, read 766,699 times
Quote:
I've had windows replaced twice while living in South Shore. Once for a side window broken by vandals, and once for a cracked windshield. In the 5000 - 7000 south Western Ave. auto repair district, a used windshield cost $105, and a used side window cost $75. Both were installed while I waited, and installation was included in the price. BTW, both windows looked brand new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago