Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2009, 02:34 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,239,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsThaBadGuy View Post
I'm moving in a few days, and I bought my last seven day pass a few days ago- it was a great feeling to finally say to yourself "this is the last penny the CTA will ever steal from me, ever again." I, and many others, have depended, and continue to depend, on the CTA, but I can't help but really wish the worst for the CTA and, for the most part, all their lazy, incopetent, and whiny employees.
ok, have fun with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 02:42 PM

27 posts, read 40,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
ok, have fun with that.
ok please, like you don't.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:44 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,636,074 times

Old 11-12-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
He lost my vote the minute he said he wouldn't revoke Blago's cute free ride bonanza.
Then we have this:

"It's not official yet, but Sneed hears Gov. Quinn will give a "thumbs up" to construction of the Illiana Expy., a 30-mile superhighway that could cost $1 billion!"

Where in the world is the money for that going to come from?

Thumbs up to new expressway? :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Michael Sneed (http://www.suntimes.com/news/sneed/1880189,CST-NWS-SNEED12.article - broken link)

Old 11-12-2009, 03:25 PM

Here are a few cuts I do not get:

56 Milwaukee (Why would you cut back on a bus that travels the whole length of the north part of the city on an angle? They will lose a huge amount of fares by cutting this route.)

Current start 3:40 am. Proposed 4:30 am.
Current end 1:50 am. Proposed 10:30 pm.

8 Halsted (Really smart. Cut back greatly on a bus that travels through neighborhoods that combined have about half or more of the citys population. They will lose a huge amount of fares by cutting this route. Sometimes I wonder if some of the great minds at the CTA have their hands in the taxi cab industry. Also, great way of encouraging more people to drink and drive since there are a huge number of bars on or near Halsted all over the city.)

Current start 2:45 am. Proposed 4:00 am.
Current end 2:20 am. Proposed 12:30 pm.

Eliminate X80. (They should be making the whole route express and getting rid of the normal buses. Morons.)
Eliminate X3,X4,X9,X20,X49,53AL,X54,X55. (Ditto as above.)

Last edited by Avengerfire; 11-12-2009 at 04:05 PM..

Old 11-12-2009, 04:02 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,928,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post

56 Milwaukee (Why would you cut back on a bus that travels the whole length of the north part of the city on an angle? They will lose a huge amount of fares by cutting this route.)

8 Halsted (Really smart. Cut back greatly on a bus that travels through neighborhoods that combined have about half or more of the citys population. They will lose a huge amount of fares by cutting this route. Sometimes I wonder if some of the great minds at the CTA have their hands in the taxi cab industry.)

Eliminate X80. (They should be making the whole route express and getting rid of the normal buses. Morons.)
Cutting the X80 is ridiculous. As if riding on a bus during rush on Irving Park isnt frustrating enough as it is...

Old 11-12-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
Cutting the X80 is ridiculous. As if riding on a bus during rush on Irving Park isnt frustrating enough as it is...
I will tell you what. When traffic is not bad or there is little traffic X80 is one of the best buses to ride in the city.

I have made it from Broadway to Harlem (and the other way around) in a little over a half hour. Many times I can make it between Broadway and the Brown Line in less than 10 minutes and about 20 minutes to the Blue Line.

The CTA should be making many routes express only. (Other people have mentioned this as well in this forum.) It would solve many issues with their service.

================================================== ================================================== ============

They really need to create an Addison Express bus for Cubs games (in addition to the one that already runs from the remote parking lots.) The amount of Cub fans that get on and off the regular Addison bus at the Brown Line,Blue Line, and near the Metra MD-N Grayland (as well as a few north south streets like Western) bogs it down on game days. Try getting on an Addison bus east of the Blue Line between 5pm and 8 pm on a game night. Most times there is no room to get on.

They could make the stops for that Addison express bus first stop Kilbourn,Milwaukee,Pulaski,Blue Line,Kedzie,California,Western,Damen,Brown Line,Ashland, last stop Clark.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 11-12-2009 at 04:46 PM..

Old 11-12-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:

8 Halsted (Really smart. Cut back greatly on a bus that travels through neighborhoods that combined have about half or more of the citys population. They will lose a huge amount of fares by cutting this route. Sometimes I wonder if some of the great minds at the CTA have their hands in the taxi cab industry. Also, great way of encouraging more people to drink and drive since there are a huge number of bars on or near Halsted all over the city.)

Most of the Milwaukee route runs parallel to the Blue Line. That's probably the rationale there. Remember two years ago, it was going to go away completely.

I'm not really sure on Halsted. Alot of Halsted in the areas where there are lots of bars runs pretty closely with the Red/Brown, maybe that's some of the rationale.

I can't argue with the X problem, you're right. Really, all buses really should only stop every half or quarter mile, not every block like many do, except for areas with lots of elderly and nursing homes i.e. my neighborhood.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Then we have this:

"It's not official yet, but Sneed hears Gov. Quinn will give a "thumbs up" to construction of the Illiana Expy., a 30-mile superhighway that could cost $1 billion!"

Where in the world is the money for that going to come from?

Thumbs up to new expressway? :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Michael Sneed (http://www.suntimes.com/news/sneed/1880189,CST-NWS-SNEED12.article - broken link)
Savings from eliminating senior free rides.
... oh, wait.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Like I have said before all they have to do is reduce the frequency of the buses. Many routes have way too many buses, too often, with not very many people riding them. The CTA could keep operating hours on all of the routes they are talking about reducing the hours of, as well as save money by just adjusting the frequency of buses in the schedules. All they are doing is tugging at the heartstrings (and wallets) of people in order to get more money to waste. The city and state need to bring in an outside auditor and consultants on how do make the CTA more efficient. I have no confidence in most of the buffones that make the decisions at the CTA.

For example, I would much rather have to wait 20-30 minutes for a Halsted bus at 2 pm then not be able to get on one at all at 2 am.

Also the Halsted bus not only effects the north side. It effects the UIC area,Greektown,West Loop, Bridgeport, and areas further south. Those areas are much further away from north/south train service than the northside north of North Ave.

================================================== ======================================

Last edited by Avengerfire; 11-12-2009 at 05:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago