Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 02:24 PM

7 posts, read 16,049 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

as I have just heard of this restaurant in San Francisco and L.A. where you can eat in the dark, I was wondering if Chicago does have such a restaurant? Anybody knows something about that?

Thanks for your help...

Jen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 02:33 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,644,182 times
What is so fun about that? Ever been through a power outage?

What will these people come up with next?

How in the hell do the servers make it to the table without falling?

This concept makes no sense.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:54 PM

Well, the concept is to create work for people who are blind. So therefore they can be independant and have their own salary. As you might know, people who are blind have more intense senses such as getting from A to B without even seeying. I have been to a restaurant like that in Switzerland and it was a great experience. You taste the food at its best level...but probably you won't get this! )

Old 09-28-2008, 03:01 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,644,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talitha20 View Post
Well, the concept is to create work for people who are blind. So therefore they can be independant and have their own salary. As you might know, people who are blind have more intense senses such as getting from A to B without even seeying. I have been to a restaurant like that in Switzerland and it was a great experience. You taste the food at its best level...but probably you won't get this! )
Why cant they just make a place that has the lights on and have blind people work there? Oh wait, the wealthy elites would not want to ruin their dining "experience" by having to see blind people walk around.

I would think being in a place where blind people are your servers would be a very unique and satisfying "experience" to begin with. I would go to a place like that. No need to turn the lights off.

BTW- Are the washrooms in the dark too? Now that would be a true "experience."

Last edited by Avengerfire; 09-28-2008 at 03:11 PM..

Old 09-28-2008, 03:37 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,639,141 times
That sounds like a pretty lame gimmick.

As far as food as a true once in a lifetime type experience goes, Alinea is probably the best bet. But I'm not sure if thats what you're looking for..
http://www.alinea-restaurant.com/index.html

Old 09-28-2008, 03:44 PM

"via chicago"

thank you for the link, that what I was looking for...something like that!

Old 09-28-2008, 04:08 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,639,141 times
Quote:
"via chicago"

thank you for the link, that what I was looking for...something like that!
if you are interested, be forewarned that its very pricey a dining experience can last up to 4 hours

Old 09-29-2008, 08:20 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,218,413 times
Quote:
Not sure what the deal was in Switzerland, but in the US it had NOTHING to do with providing work for the blind. It was done a couple times in NYC and SF to create a dining experience where someone would supposedly focus more on taste by depriving themselves of one of their senses. The waitstaff was sighted in NYC at least. I think it was tried once or twice in Chicago a couple years ago, but the concept never took off. I'm not sure it is being done anywhere in the US anymore.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:17 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,367,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
That sounds like a pretty lame gimmick.

As far as food as a true once in a lifetime type experience goes, Alinea is probably the best bet. But I'm not sure if thats what you're looking for..
Alinea Restaurant

Alinea is great. There is also a "cheaper" alternative at Moto m o t o | c u i s i n e : 2007 (http://www.motorestaurant.com/flash/index.html - broken link)

Old 09-29-2008, 04:01 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,421,586 times
This whole conversation reminds me of that incredibly lame show on VH1 with Brett Michaels called "Rock Of Love" or something like that. Anyways, they went to a restaurant in L.A. that was pitch black inside. What a friggin idiotic experience to have to feel around the room to find everything. Lame concept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago