Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 09:38 PM

128 posts, read 307,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slanderous View Post
Why do you post here if you apparently don't like Chicago?

First, is it required that I like the city of Chicago to post? I don't feel one way or another about it.

The reason I check in? Well it started out we were looking to possibly relocate there. Also to people watch I guess. The people on this Chicago forum seem pretty short fused and impatient if you don't drool over the "big city life". They seemed mad that we were a little apprehensive about moving to a big city.

Last edited by whinniethezen; 09-03-2009 at 10:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 09:43 PM

374 posts, read 1,129,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
If you really want to see a pervasive "chip on the shoulder" mentality, go to Cleveland.
I second that

Old 09-03-2009, 09:46 PM

367 posts, read 1,210,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whinniethezen View Post
It's also interesting to watch their NY inferiority complex unfold. It's like they are perpetually stuck in the awkward teen years or a high school clique. Chicagoans can dish it out, but Chicagoans can't take it.
Who would post comments like this, chosen only to elicit an angry response without adding any new information or new viewpoint? Only a troll.

I'm done with you, whinniethezen.

IGNORE!!

Old 09-03-2009, 09:48 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,231,742 times
Quote:
First, is it required that I like the city of Chicago to post? I don't feel one way or another about it.
Reason? The people on this Chicago forum seem pretty short fused if you don't drool over the "big city life". It's also interesting to watch their NY inferiority complex unfold. It's like they are perpetually stuck in the awkward teen years or a high school clique. Chicagoans can dish it out, but Chicagoans can't take it.
I didn't say it was required to like Chicago, just asked a question.

Most of the posters here are heavily invested in their city and want to help out others on this site. If they don't agree with something someone says about their city, of course they are going to defend it. I don't agree with personal attacks, however, but see how they can come about.

I'm hoping to move to Chicago in the next year or 2. Reading this site has helped me gather information about many of Chicago's neighborhoods. I hope to experience this so called "most stressful city." I've definitely enjoyed it when I've visited.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:01 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,995,536 times
Default Yes..

Quote:
big shouders? big? shouldn't it be broad shoulders? hehe
city that works? Did not your city govt. shut down last month due to budget constraints and will have to again? Athens of America? lol. I will monitor the downfall of Chicago from my surfboard's radio, dude.
..it should be "big shoulders"..Ever hear of Carl Sandburg? No, I guess not, you're from San Diego, you only read the back of Coppertone tubes..

I live in Boston; my city's budget is just fine, but a hearty "thanks" for your concern..

Old 09-03-2009, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatpuff View Post
Who would post comments like this, chosen only to elicit an angry response without adding any new information or new viewpoint? .

IGNORE!!
The new information was that you need to not take yourself so seriously. In fact, you are proving my point. You feel angry? OK.?? People have insulted me here before, I don't cry troll and run away.

Last edited by whinniethezen; 09-03-2009 at 10:14 PM..

Old 09-03-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slanderous View Post
I didn't say it was required to like Chicago, just asked a question.

Most of the posters here are heavily invested in their city and want to help out others on this site. If they don't agree with something someone says about their city, of course they are going to defend it. I don't agree with personal attacks, however, but see how they can come about.

I'm hoping to move to Chicago in the next year or 2. Reading this site has helped me gather information about many of Chicago's neighborhoods. I hope to experience this so called "most stressful city." I've definitely enjoyed it when I've visited.

Go back about ten posts. The guy who explained that living in the city and visiting are two very different things. But you should do it anyway. Iowa is "boring" according to most Iowans and Chicagoans alike.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
..it should be "big shoulders"..Ever hear of Carl Sandburg? No, I guess not, you're from San Diego, you only read the back of Coppertone tubes..

I live in Boston; my city's budget is just fine, but a hearty "thanks" for your concern..

Come one. Chicagoans are not avid readers on a whole, that's just silly. Too busy on message boards blowin' wind or watching the Cubs lose.
Oh that's right you are from Haavahd yaaahd. Did you just get home from tha baaaa? Crash tha caaaa?
Sandburg, was he the one who hated Chicago? Or was that Hemingway? Kipling?

Last edited by whinniethezen; 09-03-2009 at 10:20 PM..

Old 09-03-2009, 10:19 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,231,742 times
Quote:
Go back about ten posts. The guy who explained that living in the city and visiting are two very different things. But you should do it anyway. Iowa is "boring" according to most Iowans and Chicagoans alike.
I saw that post and I know living and visiting are vastly different. I'd have to deal with cost of living, which is high (although not high compared to some areas). However, I figure if I'm making a good salary and keep saving that won't be too much of a problem.

Things like density, weather and roads don't bother me so much. Last time I visited I squabbled with my girlfriend over parking the car in one of the 24 hour lots because I didn't want to drive in Chicago, period. Yes, winter sucks, but it doesn't last that long and Iowa winters aren't exactly a walk in the park. Density isn't a problem either, but I know it is for a lot of people. Since I currently live in a bedroom community, I definitely wouldn't mind seeing more people around.

A good majority of Iowa is boring, as is Illinois and many other states. However, I love Iowa City's vibrant nightlife and the city in general (excluding the SE side). There's also a decent amount to do in the Quad Cities. Moline and Rock Island both have nice downtowns and downtown Davenport is starting to come around.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:21 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,995,536 times
Default Nice post..

Quote:
Come one. Chicagoans are not avid readers on a whole. Now you are just being silly. Oh that's right you are from Haavahd yaaahd. Did you just get home from tha baaaa? Crash tha caaaa?
Sandburg, was he the one who hated Chicago? Or was that Hemingway? Kipling?
..."Come one. Chicagoans are not avid readers on a whole".

I'll just let the Chicagoans on this board sit back and admire this statement. I think you'd better adjust the tinfoil on your surfboard--you're about due for some bad reception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago