Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2007, 08:18 AM

647 posts, read 3,341,705 times

Advertisements

We just found out last night that we have a potential job opp in Chicago. We've been planning to move, but were focusing on NC or SC, which are relatively warm places. I'm REALLY worried about what looks like, on weather.com, to be about 6 months of cold weather every year.

Are there things to do inside with young kids during those months, since zoos and parks wouldn't be options? How do you keep kids entertained? I'm not worried so much about myself - I lived in New England and can deal with long winters. It's keeping the kids occupied that worries me. I don't want to be stuck in the house for months with young kids

How do you parents handle the issue of weather with the kids?

Thanks very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 08:45 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,091,867 times
I grew up here and Lincoln Park Zoo is open all year round, I've been there in the winter, it is actually sort of fun, and if you've lived in New England, it really isn't that much different (I've got family in New Hampshire). I was bundled up and played outside in the winter every year, it was only on the truly cold days (10F or so) that my mom would make me stay indoors. Oh, and schools do recess outside all winter unless it is unsually cold.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:48 AM

841 posts, read 4,840,850 times
That is such a funny question, and I understand it completely. Being stuck in the house with young children is torture.
I grew up in Michigan, which of course, used to have very long, snowy winters. If you have a yard and it's full of snow, your kids will play outside for hours. We entertained ourselves by making igloos, trails to play tag, built snowmen, sled down hills, etc. Our neighbors also had a skating rink in their backyard so we skated every night after dinner. We were always outside, out of my parents' hair. They must have loved it. There's plenty to do if there's snow on the ground. If it's just gloomy out with no snow, be sure you have purchased a house with a basement. We used to play down there for hours, too. It's a lot quieter for adults when there's a basement vs. just sending the kids upstairs to play.
You'll be fine, and sane!

Old 02-02-2007, 02:07 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,741,511 times
We have indoor picnics, blanket on the floor, pack a picnic basket ...

Push comes to shove, we go to the mall that has an indoor playground. I schedule lots of playdates with friends, join a mom's group ...

And yes a backyard filled with snow means tons of fun!

Seriously though, if the mere thought of Chicago weather is giving you the heebeejeebees ... you will probably not like it in the Chicago area, one of those self fulfilling prophecy things.

Old 02-02-2007, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
We have indoor picnics, blanket on the floor, pack a picnic basket ...

Push comes to shove, we go to the mall that has an indoor playground. I schedule lots of playdates with friends, join a mom's group ...

And yes a backyard filled with snow means tons of fun!

Seriously though, if the mere thought of Chicago weather is giving you the heebeejeebees ... you will probably not like it in the Chicago area, one of those self fulfilling prophecy things.
Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if there were malls with indoor play areas in the Chicago area, and I was a bit embarrassed to ask b/c it sounds kind of dumb to be worried about a lack of mall play areas. I'm originally from the DC area where play areas at malls aren't common, but they have them everywhere here in AZ and they're a sanity-saver in the summer when it's 110 outside. I'm a SAHM and there are many days when my creativity is tapped out and we just head to the mall, or playland at McD's. So I'm glad we'd still be able to do that in Chicago.

As for the self-fulfilling prophesy thing - I totally get your point there. But, aside from the cold, Chicago seems to have everything else we're looking for. No place we move will be perfect, though I've tried like heck to find one

At any rate, I appreciate your feedback. Oh, I'm also glad to know that mom's groups are popular there. My groups here have been wonderful and I'm hoping to join one or two when we move.

Old 02-02-2007, 03:03 PM

Thanks for the reminders about the joys of snow. I guess it's been so long since I was a kid, that I only think of snow from the adult perspective as a pain to deal with. You guys are right, though - we had a blast playing in the snow as kids and I'm sure my kids would love it too.

It's good to know that the zoo is open all year too. Though the zoo on a 10 degree day doesn't sound terribly fun

Thanks for the feedback!

Old 02-02-2007, 03:08 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,741,511 times
There are Gymborees and other gyms ... most park districts have children's programs. There are a couple childrens museums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: