Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2008, 03:55 AM

4 posts, read 12,919 times

Advertisements

Hey folks
I'm moving to Chicago in two weeks to take a professor position. I have someone on my credit who is NOT me. Her first name is one letter different and her SSN is one digit different! She's had 11 court judgements! I found this out when I was buying a home and paid a company to have it removed. She's back and I'm worried sick about getting an apartment. I have a good work history and rental history. I've talked to a couple of leasers and I can tell they think I'm lying. Will I be living in a shack or paying an exorbitant deposit? Any suggestions?
Doc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 10:23 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,268,382 times
First, many private landlords don't do credit checks. Just bring proof of employement, etc. That being said, you need to contact the credit bureaus and an attorney ASAP because people really won't believe you!

Old 07-31-2008, 10:41 PM

38 posts, read 106,415 times
well there are 3 companies that run credit checks right? I think you need to file a dispute with each one to get those things removed from your credit record As for fixing the problem in the long run............ I have no idea

Old 08-01-2008, 07:16 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,074,342 times
Yes, you need to file disputes with all three credit bureaus. Be prepared to provide evidence that your identity has been compromised and keep after them. There is no reason for you to suffer because someone else can't pay their bills. Google the credit bureau companies and their addresses in your area to send the letters IN WRITING. They have 30 days to reply to you and request additional information. This is a very good thing to accomplish sooner rather than later because the longer that you put it off, the harder it will be to correct. Getting a mortgage with that stuff on your credit is going to be close to impossible, so, get busy!

Good Luck!

Old 08-01-2008, 07:50 PM

Default Thanks, but . . .

I'm looking for input on getting an apartment with a bad credit report not how to get it off my credit report. This time I am hiring a company that has a good reputation. Yes, ya have to pay out the nose but I've realized it is definitely worth it.

I think the fact that I have a PhD, steady work history, and a good rental history will suffice. Surely, leasors see this periodically. It keeps me up at night but the reality is that I will not be the only person in Chicago with a bad credit report--legitimate or not.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:05 AM

38 posts, read 106,415 times
I can only think of two things that will give you an edge. From what it sounds like, I'm sure you can convince people that you're a worthy tenant, so don't stress!

1. If you actually get to talk to the owner, you get a chance to make a good impression and explain things personally. I think that can do alot for you. Alot of apt companies go through MLS listings and find other apartments that are represented by another agent, and in that situation, the personal touch could get lost. But basically, if you can talk to the owner, it can help.

2. Sometimes there are huge developments owned by one company, trying to rent out their units. I'm not sure what your price range is, but I talked to left bank at k station and echelon at k station, and they gave me the impression that they really wanted to rent to people ( they were discounting rent, offering to take no security deposit, etc..) my point is, companies like that need to fill units, and might be willing to forgo the percieved risk of bad credit. Of course, if they're desperate to fill units there might be other reasons you wouldn't want to live there. for example I've heard awful things about presidential towers.

anyways, best of luck, I think if you get to talk to the owner, you'll probably be in pretty good shape. esp with the other stuff you mentioned. congratulations on the job.

btw which company are you using? most of the ones I've looked at don't charge you, they charge the landlords, that cost may be transferred in terms of higher rents, but you don't pay them anything.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:00 AM

Default Rentsmart

Thanks! I'm using RentSmart but don't ask me why. I guess because a rep was really fast in responding to my email and very polite. I spelled it all out in my email and he didn't directly address it in his response but indicated he had some apartments on the north side that I might like . . . small dog, granite, stainless, $1300.

Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugoshi View Post
I can only think of two things that will give you an edge. From what it sounds like, I'm sure you can convince people that you're a worthy tenant, so don't stress!

1. If you actually get to talk to the owner, you get a chance to make a good impression and explain things personally. I think that can do alot for you. Alot of apt companies go through MLS listings and find other apartments that are represented by another agent, and in that situation, the personal touch could get lost. But basically, if you can talk to the owner, it can help.

2. Sometimes there are huge developments owned by one company, trying to rent out their units. I'm not sure what your price range is, but I talked to left bank at k station and echelon at k station, and they gave me the impression that they really wanted to rent to people ( they were discounting rent, offering to take no security deposit, etc..) my point is, companies like that need to fill units, and might be willing to forgo the percieved risk of bad credit. Of course, if they're desperate to fill units there might be other reasons you wouldn't want to live there. for example I've heard awful things about presidential towers.

anyways, best of luck, I think if you get to talk to the owner, you'll probably be in pretty good shape. esp with the other stuff you mentioned. congratulations on the job.

btw which company are you using? most of the ones I've looked at don't charge you, they charge the landlords, that cost may be transferred in terms of higher rents, but you don't pay them anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago