Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 07:53 AM

211 posts, read 947,522 times

Advertisements

Are kids legally allowed to be in bars? I've noticed this trend developing since the smoking ban went into effect. We have a neighborhood bar that we enjoy eating at. Since the smoking ban went into effect people have been bringing children in. We were there a couple of weeks ago and an acquanitance stopped by to talk to us and said the word sh*t and a woman with a child next to us said "we don't use that word". It's a bar. Isn't this just about the only place adults can go to be adults. It's not just one occasion, everytime we go there someone brings in a kid or two. Once there was a group of adults with about 5 kids. So maybe I'm just being petty but I really always looked at bars as an adult place to go for adult conversation. Some of the conversations can get pretty "interesting" after some drinks and I think if you don't want your kids hearing that, don't take them to a bar. Sorry if I offended anyone. I do not hate kids, just want an adult place to grab a bite and relax after working all day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 08:07 AM

132 posts, read 460,946 times
If it serves food and families are there at dinner time, I wouldn't have a problem with it. After 8 or so, I would think any bar is inappropriate for families. I say that as a mom who has taken my kids to a bar for dinner. I wouldn't correct someone for saying s***, though. I say worse things on a daily basis.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:09 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,615,463 times
Kids should not be in bars period, smoking or not.

But that being said, there are a lot of "bar and grill" type places. I figure if they have a full menu and it's pre-8 p.m., it's probably not a big deal.

That does not mean some haughty woman can tell you what words "we" do and don't say. I know I wouldn't have been able to hold my tongue in that situation; I definitely would have been a smartass.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:17 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
Kids are only allowed in "bars" that have a restaurant component to them. But even then, I think parents with kids should probably stick to the earlier hours if they can help it. Usually they have to anyway because of bed times!

Go to any "bar and grill" type place in Lincoln Square any day of the week, and you will see multiple kids around the 5:00-7:00 dinner hours.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:24 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,083,905 times
Indeed, kids are only allowed in bars that serve food. I sometimes hang out at my corner bar, that does not serve food, and it always amazes me when people walk in with an infant. Are they for real?

Old 08-28-2008, 09:21 AM

76 posts, read 219,897 times
I'm guilty of bringing my infant to a bar. However, it's only if my hubby is playing a show. I want her to be exposed to music and she loves watching her daddy play. I do think there are limits though. You won't see me bringing her when she's older (18 months+).

Old 08-28-2008, 09:26 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
I do it all of the time as well with my daughter, as do my friends. You really have to be careful about the specific place and time of day, however. But I would never complain about someone else saying "****". That's just annoying.

Places like the Hop Leaf have a no-kids policy, and I'm fine with that. It's their choice. I couldn't imagine bringing kids into that mad house anyway.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:27 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,746,107 times
When I was a kid sometimes my old man would take me with him to the corner tavern on a Saturday afternoon, not often but a few times. Once in awhile other kids would go to taverns with their dads. Still it was uncommon to see kids in taverns.

If some finger-waggin' schoolmarm tried to correct my speech in a tavern she'd get an earfull back, oh man.

Places with restaurants are different though, then the rules are different and I see no problem with kids and I wouldn't curse. Where my daughter lives on Erie near Ashland there's a bar-restaurant on the corner and it's nice to take the family in there in the afternoon for lunch. And very "neighborhoody", know what I mean?

Old 08-28-2008, 09:30 AM

127 posts, read 442,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cd771 View Post
Are kids legally allowed to be in bars? I've noticed this trend developing since the smoking ban went into effect. We have a neighborhood bar that we enjoy eating at. Since the smoking ban went into effect people have been bringing children in. We were there a couple of weeks ago and an acquanitance stopped by to talk to us and said the word sh*t and a woman with a child next to us said "we don't use that word". It's a bar. Isn't this just about the only place adults can go to be adults. It's not just one occasion, everytime we go there someone brings in a kid or two. Once there was a group of adults with about 5 kids. So maybe I'm just being petty but I really always looked at bars as an adult place to go for adult conversation. Some of the conversations can get pretty "interesting" after some drinks and I think if you don't want your kids hearing that, don't take them to a bar. Sorry if I offended anyone. I do not hate kids, just want an adult place to grab a bite and relax after working all day.
I think that these kids get in the bars because some of the owners or just some of the staff don't care if they young or not, they only care about the money they get from the customers no matter the age

Old 08-28-2008, 09:31 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,083,905 times
Oh, I have no problems with kids in a 'bar and grill', on more than one occasion, I was brought to one of those as a child for a meal, as in the past, is was less common for diners and 'family style' places to serve up a beer, to my dad, who wanted a beer. I remember drinking 'shirley temples' to this day and I didn't find it odd at all.

I don't recall hearing anything too inappropriate except for the occasional obscenity or dirty joke, but I had heard all those on the schoolyard, so it didn't phase me too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago