Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 10:30 AM

107 posts, read 358,839 times

Advertisements

I am from New York City and it is true that New Yorkers have this superiority complex. They think that even places like Chicago and Philadelphia are "bush-league". But most New Yorkers only engage in activities that they could to in Chicago (or even Milwaukee for that matter). Unless you want to go to a place like Studio 54, or absolutely need an ocean-based beach, Chicago will fit the bill just fine. And it is a lot cheaper to boot.

And even if New York City is more exciting, unless you make a truckload of $, you are going to be far away from the action. In Chicago, you can be in a hipper neighborhood for the same price.

Last edited by kuvopolis; 08-13-2008 at 10:32 AM.. Reason: none
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 01:14 PM

304 posts, read 904,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuvopolis View Post
In Chicago, you can be in a hipper neighborhood for the same price.

yea "hip" to a midwesterner...

L.A and NYC have auras about them, a coolness factor that cant be matched.

chi=honda civic

l.a=lamborghini gallardo

Old 08-13-2008, 01:23 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineKnownAsLosAngeles View Post

chi=honda civic

l.a=lamborghini gallardo
New York = Mercedes Benz SL65AMG (Top of the line, with the performance and price tage to match. Out of reach for most of us.)

Chicago = Acura RL (Performs with the big boys, but more affordable. Slightly awkard styling at times.)

L.A. = PT Cruiser (No style or class, but flashy. Thinks he's cooler than he is, but really only appeals to morons.)

Old 08-13-2008, 01:34 PM

107 posts, read 358,839 times
Quote:

chi=honda civic

l.a=lamborghini gallardo
How do you know? Have you ever lived in both NYC and Chicago? Have you even been to NYC or Chicago?

In Ravenswood in Chicago, you can get a servicable studio for $700. You are within 1/2 mile of quite a few cool bars and cultural activities. The loop is 40 minutes away. You can get even closer to the loop if you do not mind a little grittiness.

For the same price in New York City, you are going to be in a roach motel in a ghetto neighborhood at least an hour from down/midtown. No hip bars for a long stretch. So you go to Manhattan for your action, and you meet some "hip" people. Alas, they are from the other side of town.

I have never been to LA, but for $700 I assume you will get even less. I am guessing a gang-ridden area. With traffic, how long will it take you to get to a "hip" area? Can anyone back me up on this one?

That is if you rent. If you buy, the differences are even more pronounced.

I do not buy that "aura" malarky. It sounds very vague. OK, so most of the celebrities go to NYC and LA. But that is fantasy land. I will admit that NYC and LA are somewhat cooler but the Lamborghini/Civic comparison is hyperbole. Maybe Lamborghini/Accord. No, not that either. Most New Yorkers do not take advantage of most of the amenities of NYC, so they would be well-served by a smaller city.

Last edited by kuvopolis; 08-13-2008 at 01:43 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-13-2008, 01:47 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
You can keep your frou frou aura... I mean what does that mean at the end of the day?

I loved this definition of aura:
Quote:
A subtle invisible essence or fluid which emanates from human and animal bodies, and even from things. It is a psychic effluvium, partaking of both mind and body. It is electro-vital, and also electro-mental.
or it means you're about to have seizure

Old 08-13-2008, 02:04 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:

chi=honda civic

l.a=lamborghini gallardo

Yeah, L.A. is a Gallardo alright. Driven by pricks who use it for image only, and in the meantime you can get something better and faster for a cheaper price elsewhere.

Chicago is like the Dodge Viper ACR of the bunch. Big and fast like NYC and L.A., but cheaper. More for the thinking man who is wise with his money, still wants to have fun, and who doesnt need to make up for his small pecker size. Hangs with the cars that cost 3 times as much, and often beats them in many categories.

NYC is the Ferrari Enzo. The fastest Ferrari currently offered. Does everything well, is the envy of others who thinks cars are a status symbol. Nevermind the outrageously laughable price of it.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:06 PM

21 posts, read 44,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
You can keep your frou frou aura... I mean what does that mean at the end of the day?

I loved this definition of aura:
or it means you're about to have seizure

Ahh...that just cracked me up

Old 08-13-2008, 05:44 PM

102 posts, read 376,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Yeah, L.A. is a Gallardo alright. Driven by pricks who use it for image only, and in the meantime you can get something better and faster for a cheaper price elsewhere.

Chicago is like the Dodge Viper ACR of the bunch. Unrefined and unlivable on a day to day basis. Pointless excess (especially in a city with 0 non 90 degree turns); trades class and beauty for industrial power.*

NYC is the Ferrari 599.* The fastest Ferrari currently offered. Does everything well, is the envy of others who thinks cars are a status symbol. Nevermind the outrageously laughable price of it.
*Fixed. Although that's more my opinion about the car than the city!

Old 08-13-2008, 06:47 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,798,905 times
Quote:

chi=honda civic

l.a=lamborghini gallardo
Where I'm glad I don't live.... LA

Old 08-13-2008, 08:10 PM

595 posts, read 2,743,042 times
Quote:

chi=honda civic

l.a=lamborghini gallardo
Oh, fantastic! I see you have found the Chicago forum!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago