Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2008, 10:03 AM

17 posts, read 102,558 times

Advertisements

I posted this question in the Northwest Indiana section... but you Chicago folks just may be able to help me as well

OK, I want to shop on the Magnificent Mile in Chicago, but I don't know what stop to get off on the South Shore, or if I will have to use the Metra, after that or something...

Does anyone know which stop? Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 10:43 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,602,442 times
Get off at the end of the line Millenium Park. You can probably take a free trolley from there,a CTA bus, or walk.
The free Trolley you can use is the one with the Red Circle on it.

http://www.nictd.com/
http://www.transitchicago.com/
http://egov.cityofchicago.org/city/w...OID=-536896085
http://egov.cityofchicago.org/webpor...RouteMap_1.pdf

Last edited by Avengerfire; 07-12-2008 at 10:54 AM..

Old 07-12-2008, 12:25 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,406,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missteacherlady View Post
I posted this question in the Northwest Indiana section... but you Chicago folks just may be able to help me as well

OK, I want to shop on the Magnificent Mile in Chicago, but I don't know what stop to get off on the South Shore, or if I will have to use the Metra, after that or something...

Does anyone know which stop? Thanks in advance!!
The last stop on the Southshore is Randolph. The last stop on the Metra is Southwater which is only about 2 blocks north of Randolph.

When you get off the Southshore, you can walk underground to Southwater and head north and catch a bus right as you come out of the Southwater exit that will get you to the MM.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-12-2008, 12:26 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,181,392 times
What Avenger is trying to say is that the last stop for the South Shore train, for all practical purposes, is on the Magnificent Mile, particularly if you get off of the north end of the platform. That exit may not work on the weekends.

Old 07-12-2008, 12:41 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,406,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
What Avenger is trying to say is that the last stop for the South Shore train, for all practical purposes, is on the Magnificent Mile, particularly if you get off of the north end of the platform. That exit may not work on the weekends.

No its not. The last stop on the Southshore is South of the Mag mile.

The Magnificent Mile is the portion of Michigan Avenue in Chicago, Illinois extending from the Chicago River to Oak Street in Near North Side community area.[1] Located one block east of Rush Street, which is known for its nightlife, the Magnificent Mile serves as the main thoroughfare between Chicago's Loop business district and its Gold Coast.[2] Real estate developer Arthur Rubloff of Rubloff Company gave the nickname to one of the city's most prestigious residential and commercial thoroughfares in the 1940s.[1] It includes fine restaurants, hotels, and stores and several of the tallest buildings in the world. In addition, numerous prestigious buildings are located along the Magnificent Mile, such as the Wrigley Building and the John Hancock Center, places listed on the National Register of Historic Places such as The Old Chicago Water Tower District and Chicago Landmarks such as Tribune Tower and the Allerton Hotel.

Old 07-12-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
...for all practical purposes, is on the Magnificent Mile....
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
No its not. The last stop on the Southshore is South of the Mag mile. The Magnificent Mile is the portion of ...
He never said it was on the Mag Mile. The station is like 2 blocks away from the Mag Mile so for "all practical purposes" it is on the Mag Mile.

The Mag mile is more like the Mag two or three miles now anyway.

Old 07-12-2008, 01:25 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
Have you ever heard anyone try to say that the Mag Mile turns west on Oak Street? I've always believed it was just Michigan Avenue myself, but I've run into a few people who swear it includes that tony Oak Street stuff.

Old 07-12-2008, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Have you ever heard anyone try to say that the Mag Mile turns west on Oak Street? I've always believed it was just Michigan Avenue myself, but I've run into a few people who swear it includes that tony Oak Street stuff.
I have heard people say it too, but I dont include it. You can call it the Mag Mile area perhaps though.

I dont consider 2-3 miles of Michigan to be the actual Mag mile, but from south of the river to a few blocks south of Roosevelt it has become much more magnificent in the last 20 years.

Old 07-12-2008, 07:23 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,181,392 times
I think the magnificent street we dub the Mag Mile (which may exceed a mile) starts at Randolph. I don't know exactly where it ends, particularly since I tend to eschew it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: