Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2008, 03:48 PM

2 posts, read 12,756 times

Advertisements

In a few months I will be moving to Chicago to attend U of C. My roommates and I have found an apartment on E. 51st St above Washington Park (on the U of C side--600-700s). It's a lovely apartment and just what we are looking for--my only concern is over safety. Does anyone have any comments on this area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 03:50 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,073,774 times
Washington Park extends from Cottage to King. How far west are you?

Old 07-10-2008, 03:56 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,868,329 times
Default 51st street

My Handyman has a condo at 51st and Michigan. His building and those next to it are really nice new construction, but the area gets rough really quickly as you go south or west. During the day it seems okay but not great as there are a number of bums up and down Michigan and State, but I would move closer to Hyde Park if you can even if you have to pay a little more.

It also depends how far west you are on 51st. As you approach the lake it becomes much more liveable. $600-700 is really cheap for 3 bedroom apartment (you said roommates so I am assuming there are 3 of you). I rent out a 3 bedroom in somewhat liveable Humboldt Park for $900. My guess is that unless that apartment is a real steal the area you are looking in may be rougher than my area which isn't all great, especially for young college girls.

Old 07-10-2008, 04:03 PM

I didn't read the post carefully regarding east-west coordinate. Looks like you are sort of toward the middle. Anyhow, who's to say how safe it is? The only two concrete things I can say are 1) very few UC people live over there and 2) you are not in the official UC police patrol zone. I do swim at 51st and King a few times a week. It seems ok.

I did know a professor couple who moved into a gut-rehab condo the west side of the park (great prices). Nobody seemed to bother them, but their entire building did mysteriously burn down one day.

Have you taken a walk around there on a summer night?

Old 07-10-2008, 04:47 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
ajolotl's points are pretty serious -- the UofC Police are a private supplement to the Chicago and work well in the area they provide additional patrols to. It is really worth being in an area that has that additional layer. The reason that very few UC folks live in the area you are contemplating is that it is not as good as the stuff closer to campus in terms of safety and convenience. If you are coming from out of town you are really going to have enough going on that you really ought to be a conservative as possible in picking a place to live.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:32 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,179,639 times
The WA Park area is sorta behind (north of) Provident Hospital. It has a lot of new condo renovations and some new townhouse construction. Also, it is true that the U of C police force does not patrol the area. I think it is a reasonable place to live and not far from the university at all. You should be most alert coming in after dark.

You may want to consider if you will be doing much research in places like Regenstein after hours or if basically you will go back and forth in rush hours. The area is having a lot of new construction but some places north toward 47th street across MLK still have vacant stretches.

51st street (and around there) north of the park can be reached on the 51st street bus on the 15 Jeffrey but I would drive to an apartment in the area in the evening hours. There is more street crime in the WA park area than in Hyde Park but not a quantum difference.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:34 PM

2 posts, read 12,756 times
Thanks so much for the replies--I really appreciate the input. Sorry I wasn't clear on the location--the apartment is on E 51st in the 600 block (between S. Champlain Ave. and S. Cottage Grove--closer to Champlain), so it's pretty close to Hyde Park (the apartment manager actually said that they are considered part of Hyde Park for tax purposes).

Last edited by jennykat03; 07-10-2008 at 11:00 PM..

Old 07-11-2008, 02:27 AM

184 posts, read 766,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykat03 View Post
Thanks so much for the replies--I really appreciate the input. Sorry I wasn't clear on the location--the apartment is on E 51st in the 600 block (between S. Champlain Ave. and S. Cottage Grove--closer to Champlain), so it's pretty close to Hyde Park (the apartment manager actually said that they are considered part of Hyde Park for tax purposes).
I visit Provident Hospital monthly. I would not recommend that area to city newbies.

Old 07-12-2008, 04:26 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykat03 View Post
That is not Hyde Park. Being part of Hyde Park Township for Cook County tax purposes is completely irrelevant to whether or not you're in the actual community of Hyde Park. The apartment manager is trying to pull a fast one on you. Don't do business with liars.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:11 AM

I agree with Chet Everett. Everything on the south side is about understanding your surroundings, who is who, when you can go where. Students tend to use campus facilities very late at night -- even in the real Hyde Park you'll find yourself frequently feeling much more isolated than you might expect any time after 10pm. Washington Park is not out of the question, but unless you are a hardened city person it makes much more sense to play it more conservative for the first year. UC is intense academically. You don't need other sources of stress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago