Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 10:34 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,782,278 times

Advertisements

Duplicate post from the old thread, just in case no one wants to read the old thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
Heart O' Chicago Motel
It's also not the fanciest, but it has free parking, and right by the Clark Street bus (runs 24 hours) and not too far of a walk to the Red Line. It's also not too terribly far from all the Andersonville dining/shopping.

I don't know, i'm not very picky about hotels...

So I just booked to stay here. I'm assuming the "red line" cannot be that different than the Metro here (I hope). I will do some more research on it. Any confirmation if this place is in a safe area? I guess it doesn't matter now lol, but knowing it is would make me feel better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 10:53 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,803,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
Duplicate post from the old thread, just in case no one wants to read the old thread

So I just booked to stay here. I'm assuming the "red line" cannot be that different than the Metro here (I hope). I will do some more research on it. Any confirmation if this place is in a safe area? I guess it doesn't matter now lol, but knowing it is would make me feel better.
Personally, that "Heart-O-Chicago" Hotel has always scared the crap out of me, and it's VERY far from the Loop. It's in Edgewater, and looks like a place that would rent rooms by the hour, if you know what I mean. Also, it's in a pretty desolate part of Edgewater with a lot of automobile traffic. It's a hike to the Red Line too.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:10 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times
Default Ditto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Personally, that "Heart-O-Chicago" Hotel has always scared the crap out of me, and it's VERY far from the Loop. It's in Edgewater, and looks like a place that would rent rooms by the hour, if you know what I mean. Also, it's in a pretty desolate part of Edgewater with a lot of automobile traffic. It's a hike to the Red Line too.
Crimminy, the Congress is run by morons who have some sort of beef with organized labor, but at least it is is TRULY right at the intersection of Michigan Ave and Congress Parkway and has AWESOME access to just about anything you could want from Chicago.

The "heart of chicago" looks like some place serial killers dream of taking their victims!!! It is no more the real "heart of Chicago than my left pinky is nearest my center of mass...

Old 07-08-2008, 07:07 AM

... oh well. It got pretty good user reviews on expedia, hotels.com, trip-advisor, etc. And from what I read, it is in Andersonville - not Edgewater (not that I would know the difference or what either one of those is like). If it is a 15 minute walk to the red-line, that's ok. Every day, I walk 10 minutes to the Metro here. In fact, I'll be doing that in a few minutes. Each review hinted that this place was located in a safe area, albeit off a traffic-heavy street. I guess we'll find out lol.

Last edited by Azalea City Man; 07-08-2008 at 07:22 AM..

Old 07-08-2008, 08:06 AM

Calling that "Andersonville" is like calling Spanish Harlem the "Upper East Side".

Andersonville is part of Edgewater, by the way...

Old 07-08-2008, 08:08 AM

47 posts, read 247,180 times
Oh, the Heart o' Chicago is fine! I've stayed there a few times without incident. I'm a budget-minded, low-maintenence traveler, so as long as you're not expecting mints on pillows or something, it's fine. I've stayed in the Congress, but it's been about 10 years. It was fine then, and about a block from the Art Institute. But, yeah, Heart o' Chicago is probably your cheapest (safe) option.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:21 AM

Yeh, budget-minded. When it came to $140 a night (Congress) versus $72 a night + red-line (Heart O' Chicago) ... it became a no-brainer, at least for us right now. Have to love student loans and un-needed car payments

Old 07-08-2008, 07:57 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,626,711 times
The Heart is 72 a night now? Holy Penguin,Batman!

Old 07-09-2008, 08:40 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,632,411 times
^^ At $72 a night in a pretty safe neighborhood with reviews that good? Def. sounds like it's worth the longer trek downtown. Plus, you'll actually get to see something more than the typical tourist areas that most people (myself included) see on their first trip to Chicago.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
^^ At $72 a night in a pretty safe neighborhood with reviews that good? Def. sounds like it's worth the longer trek downtown. Plus, you'll actually get to see something more than the typical tourist areas that most people (myself included) see on their first trip to Chicago.
It must just look worse than it is, then. I've never stayed there. But it looks like one of those places where prostitution thrives (like the old motels on Lincoln Avenue).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: