Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 03:10 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,322,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisboy View Post
The Chicago Spire is to be exactly 2000 feet high, compared to the Sears Tower which is 1451. (Thats almost a 600 foot difference!) It will be 150 stories, compared to the Sears which is 110. At the time of it's completion, it will be the second tallest building in the world, only next to the Burj Dubai, in the UAE, which is a whole 684 feet taller than the Spire.

Right now, they are only on the underground process, they haven't even started on the lobby yet. It is expected to be completed in 2012
I'm upset with Dubai...I want Chicago to have the tallest building.

With all of the revisions to the Spire I doubt that by 2012 it will be 2000'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 03:16 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,964,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post

Well at least the Burj Dubai was designed by an elite group of Chicago architects and engineers at SOM... They can pay for the worlds tallest building over in Dubai, but they needed Chicagoans to make it happen.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:21 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,352,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post

All those revisions were done before construction started - with the end date still 2012.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:37 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,322,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
All those revisions were done before construction started - with the end date still 2012.
I know, they've changed it a lot. There just always seems to be something that they want to change during construction. At least seems that way to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Well at least the Burj Dubai was designed by an elite group of Chicago architects and engineers at SOM... They can pay for the worlds tallest building over in Dubai, but they needed Chicagoans to make it happen.

That's interesting to hear, have they designed a lot of buildings for Dubai?

Old 06-18-2008, 04:02 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,683,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post

Amen, brotha!

Old 06-18-2008, 04:02 PM

595 posts, read 2,751,849 times
I have seen all these pictures of Dubai, and sure, it's growing at an ENORMOUS rate, but, with that type of growth comes a need for more housing, etc, and so they try to put up as many buildings as they possbily can in the shortest amount of time. Therefore, all the buildings look the same and there is nothing too unique about many of them. The Burj Dubai, though, is an exception.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:47 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,964,588 times
Quote:
I have seen all these pictures of Dubai, and sure, it's growing at an ENORMOUS rate, but, with that type of growth comes a need for more housing, etc, and so they try to put up as many buildings as they possbily can in the shortest amount of time. Therefore, all the buildings look the same and there is nothing too unique about many of them. The Burj Dubai, though, is an exception.
I personally have worked on a few projects in Dubai, and it's going through one of the craziest boom cycles I've seen in my lifetime. As in any boom cycle, some of the stuff getting built is put up hastily and developers as skimping on quality.

You could say the same thing about 80% of the new condos that were built on Chicago's north side in this past boom cycle, by the way... Stainless steel appliances and granite counter tops aren't going to do you any good when your walls are moldy and your roof is leaking.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:25 AM

19 posts, read 22,431 times
Quote:
The Chicago Spire is to be exactly 2000 feet high, compared to the Sears Tower which is 1451. (Thats almost a 600 foot difference!) It will be 150 stories, compared to the Sears which is 110. At the time of it's completion, it will be the second tallest building in the world, only next to the Burj Dubai, in the UAE, which is a whole 684 feet taller than the Spire.

Right now, they are only on the underground process, they haven't even started on the lobby yet. It is expected to be completed in 2012
3rd largest in the world to be exact.the russia tower in moscow is going to be 2009ft.(i u heard of it)

Old 08-02-2008, 01:35 AM

61 posts, read 198,698 times
The 2000' height is limited by FAA regulations. The building's revisions were based around the lack of useable space, in the initial design. The building was originally 2000' including it's spire. Now it's 2000' with no spire. That's that many more floors of useable space.

The freedom tower is waaaayyyyy over budget, already. This project is expected to see some serious down scaling. I doubt it will affect the tower itself, but more likely it's surrounding buildings. You may see a bit more lawn than originally planned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago