Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2008, 10:20 AM

3 posts, read 8,406 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Chicago, my birthplace but emigrated when I was still in diapers, in September.

I will be transferring jobs to the Wyndham Downtown, a temporary transfer, hopefully. I was interested in a writing/film career and was curious as to the opportunities in terms of jobs/internships. (i have a B.A. and some relevant experience) What would be a convenient and moderately priced neighborhood to live? (will not have a car)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 12:06 PM

9 posts, read 32,034 times
If you are going to be working downtown I'd suggest checking out the Pilsen area (south of the loop) and Printer's Row. Printers Row can be pricey, but you can find a good deal if you're willing to have a roommate or live in a studio. Pilsen is known as an artsy neighborhood and has a lot of local small businesses. Safety can be a concern, so be sure to check out the surrounding blocks during the day and at night. I've found most of Chicago to be pretty safe if you use common sense.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:05 PM

569 posts, read 1,829,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellynchi View Post
If you are going to be working downtown I'd suggest checking out the Pilsen area (south of the loop) and Printer's Row. Printers Row can be pricey, but you can find a good deal if you're willing to have a roommate or live in a studio. Pilsen is known as an artsy neighborhood and has a lot of local small businesses. Safety can be a concern, so be sure to check out the surrounding blocks during the day and at night. I've found most of Chicago to be pretty safe if you use common sense.
My roomate used to live in Pilsen, I havent noticed much going on there yet besides a few art galleries on Halsted. For me, it's not a large enough surrounding community, but that probably will change over time if Pilsen becomes the new cheap artsy destination.

Chicago has an art scene in most of every neighborhood. Even if you live in one, the next is not hard to access with the local transportation. If you prefer to call "art communities" home base, there are a few i'd recommend. Consider living in lakeview (belmont & halsted). This area neighbors Chicago's LGBT community which spills over if that may be an issue. The scene is pretty big there, lots of local talented film makers and artists call that area of Chicago home. There are art galleries in the area as well. You are about a 30 minute train ride downtown and you are next to the lake. There is also Wicker Park, supposedly has the highest concentration of working artists in Chicago but I havent met any of them yet. It's closer to downtown, but farther from the lake.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:04 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,657,350 times
Everyone's idea of "semi-affordable" is different. It would help to have a rental range to work with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago