Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 09:06 AM

1,869 posts, read 5,803,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Yet Miami is ranked #4, because apparently everyone loves 96 degrees and 187% humidity. And Phoenix is ranked #9 because everyone enjoys being able to fry an egg on their own forehead. And seriously, how the hell did the Twin Cities' weather rank ahead of ours? And Se-friggin'-attle?
Miami scores well because it has year round warm weather and most places don't for 12 months. Miami does have humidity and late afternoon shower/storm, but it also has warm temperatures, and an ocean breeze, and good amounts of sunshine too.

Phoenix scores well because it is sunny and warm.(Don't underestimate the first part of that) Many people want to see the sunshine, often. Many people have a tougher time in gray skies than sunshine. Yes it gets very warm in the summer, even in the dry heat. I've been in 116 degree Valley weather, and it was very hot in the sun, and although warm in the shade, very tolerable long periods., and of course tolerable at night. To be able to be outside, have the sunshine is appealing to a lot of people.

Many people like to see the sun and many people prefer warmer temperatures. There are plenty that don't, but I would never underestimate the amount of people who don't like gray skies, as well as cold temperatures.

So many people talk favorably about Chicago and rightfully so in many ways. And so many people talk negatively about the weather in Chicago, and often times rightfully so. It's certainly an issue and very real if that many people discuss it.

Seattle obviously is on there for its moderate temperatures year round. Many would argue it is too cloudy and rainy and others would like the cool but moderate year round temperatures to go along with a very nice, sunny summer. Seattle has nice summer weather.

Twin Cities, is almost comparable to Chicago. Not sure about that one. While it is colder often times than Chicago, it isn't that much colder. My only guess would be more forgiving summer weather than Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 09:10 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Actually the Twin Cities is quite a bit colder, and winter is a month longer to boot.

I will never, ever understand how anyone can tolerate living in Phoenix. I don't care how nice and mild it is in the winter. That won't ever be enough for me to put up with months of 100-degree heat. You can always bundle up for a Chicago winter. You can only strip down so much for a Phoenix summer before saying "fuggit" and spending most of the day indoors. That's no way to spend a summer.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:46 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Actually the Twin Cities is quite a bit colder, and winter is a month longer to boot.

I will never, ever understand how anyone can tolerate living in Phoenix. I don't care how nice and mild it is in the winter. That won't ever be enough for me to put up with months of 100-degree heat. You can always bundle up for a Chicago winter. You can only strip down so much for a Phoenix summer before saying "fuggit" and spending most of the day indoors. That's no way to spend a summer.
Yes, it's definitely a noticeable difference. And that extra month of winter isn't an exageration either. The Twin Cities easily gets another two weeks on both ends. It's just enough of a difference to be annoying.

Weather in Phoenix is only better half of the year. Summers are completely intolerable there. If you want good summers and good winters, you need to be on the coast where the ocean regulates extremes (like SoCal). Personally, I prefer the weahter in Northern California because I don't really like hot summer temperatures.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:54 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Personally, I prefer the weahter in Northern California because I don't really like hot summer temperatures.
Me too. And if you need a hot weather fix for a weekend, its only a short drive away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago