Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2023, 01:06 PM

5,072 posts, read 2,187,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Yes, but aren't they the "cancer?"
democrats are a cancer yes. That is why good people who are not a cancer are moving to florida.

I know this as the number show it. Plus I know several people that live there and many more that are on their way there even now. And more who are getting ready to move there.

I also have neighbors and coworkers who have family that now live there and they all say the same things. They went there to get away from illinois which btw for years has been losing people due to democrats running things. And they are going to Florida as they do things the right way

Old 04-22-2023, 01:07 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,478,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert9 View Post
democrats are a cancer yes. That is why good people who are not a cancer are moving to florida.

I know this as the number show it. Plus I know several people that live there and many more that are on their way there even now. And more who are getting ready to move there.

I also have neighbors and coworkers who have family that now live there and they all say the same things. They went there to get away from illinois which btw for years has been losing people due to democrats running things. And they are going to Florida as they do things the right way
Eh, ok. IL got this way because of voters. And they are voters. So I'm dubious.

Old 04-22-2023, 01:10 PM

374 posts, read 260,975 times
I keep seeing all this talk of crime. Crime is in the same general range year after year. It fluctuates up and down a little. Nothing to see there.

Old 04-22-2023, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
THIS (Bolded) is a GREAT point. Once many people start actually living THEIR lives, work jobs, paying taxes, they also begin to understand that having dreamy ideologies don't pay the bills. Suddenly they become aware that a lot of the pie in the sky crap that was crammed down their throat when they were young was just that, crap.

At some point all young people become older and during this transition they also may grow something else, a brain.

A lot of the exodus from Chicago to more conservative, lower COL and crime rate areas, can be attributed to this.
Well many Democrats realize that too you know. The progressive wing is just that - a wing. Just under half of the Democratic Chicago voters voted for Vallas. And he should have won. He blew the campaign though.

Old 04-22-2023, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrampage View Post
I keep seeing all this talk of crime. Crime is in the same general range year after year. It fluctuates up and down a little. Nothing to see there.
Eh, no. We've got some troubles, starting with a bone head Mayor-elect who seems to excuse violent beatings and destroying property as understandable youthful frustration. Fortunately, his new Chief of Staff, initially at least, seems to have a brain. Hopefully the administration finds a way to work with the police. They don't have to like each other, but they do have to work together, as the Sun-Times correctly editorialized today.

Old 04-22-2023, 01:41 PM

4,880 posts, read 6,949,176 times
Quote:
Yes, but aren't they the "cancer?" Or is there a magic wall that only lets in a certain political affiliation? IL hasn't voted for a Republican President since '88.
Using this knowledge, it's no wonder the state is a total fiscal and criminal mess. Yes, voting does have consequences.

Old 04-22-2023, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert9 View Post
Very true. When I was young and naive, I was a democrat. I grew up and matured and that along with obama changed me forever!
I was too. My mother was a staunch FDR Democrat. My conversion (or shall I say epiphany) occurred in the mid 1980's when I started to realize that a lot of the stuff that my party at the time was doing, just wasn't making sense. It's only gotten MUCH worse.

The old Democrat Party is dead. Too many people just refuse to believe it because their parents or grandparent were Democrats and they're afraid to change for whatever reason.

I've got to think that's a lot of the reason that Chicago still votes so heavily Democrat. That's also why so many stay as they incorrectly and naively believe that doing the same thing over and over again, it will get better. Isn't that one of the definitions of insanity though?

It is admirable though for the people who have seen so much go wrong there, that they stick with their city. They're still proud of Chicago, no matter what happens.

Old 04-22-2023, 02:07 PM

5,072 posts, read 2,187,381 times
Quote:
I was too. My mother was a staunch FDR Democrat. My conversion (or shall I say epiphany) occurred in the mid 1980's when I started to realize that a lot of the stuff that my party at the time was doing, just wasn't making sense. It's only gotten MUCH worse.

The old Democrat Party is dead. Too many people just refuse to believe it because their parents or grandparent were Democrats and they're afraid to change for whatever reason.

I've got to think that's a lot of the reason that Chicago still votes so heavily Democrat. That's also why so many stay as they incorrectly and naively believe that doing the same thing over and over again, it will get better. Isn't that one of the definitions of insanity though?

It is admirable though for the people who have seen so much go wrong there, that they stick with their city. They're still proud of Chicago, no matter what happens.
It is indeed the very definition of insanity! I have seen others mention that as well

Old 04-22-2023, 04:06 PM

Quote:

What if you don't believe in many of the platforms of the Republican party? Does that make you afraid to change or insane? No. It just means you don't believe in many of the platforms of the Republican party.

Old 04-22-2023, 05:29 PM

Quote:
What if you don't believe in many of the platforms of the Republican party? Does that make you afraid to change or insane? No. It just means you don't believe in many of the platforms of the Republican party.
Your point is well taken as to the platforms. To me, that is EVERYTHING when considering who you're voting for. I used to vote more for the person than the platform even up to the Obama presidency. I won't vote for any Democrat who's above the position of local dog catcher now.

I don't see how the Democrat platform has done anything but hurt Chicago. I'm sure there have been local aldermen over the years that have made attempts to improve the city's fiscal situation as well as the lawlessness. However, your top leadership, based on everything I've seen, is a collection of political fools with lots of baggage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago