Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2023, 04:05 PM

590 posts, read 1,014,415 times

Advertisements

I don't know why they stay, but I know why I would move there. I am an Italian living in West Palm Beach for many years. I vacation to Chicago whenever I can. See, funny: people from Chicago vacation and move down here, and I look forward to escaping to Chicago.
Down here I like only a few things and definitely not the weather: Miami because it's international, has a large first generation Italian community (today more than NY), I love the many beautiful parks and the fact that whenever I want I can go play tennis, soccer, basket, hiking anything.

That said, I love Chicago because I' m a city guy. Chicago offers lot of culture, museums, great public transportation, International cuisine, not to talk about the fact that in most bars in Chicago you can listen for free to live jazz and/or blues for the same acts that would cost $ 35 to get in in South Florida.

I like to walk in Chicago, from Wicker park, to Lincoln, from Andersonville to West Loop, to Chinatown to Little Italy, to Pilsen, it's just so various. Sometimes when we are there my wife and I just ride buses and trains just to see where they go, what's there and Chicago in a way it's like many places in one. You walk a mile and you are in a completely different type of neighborhood.

But I understand that Chicago is not an easy city to like; it doesn't stun you with immediate beauty. It's more about the soul of this city and to touch that you got to walk it, live it, breathe it. Not just in the main downtown streets but in different neighborhoods.

I guess it's personal, I don't know how to describe it, but when I am in Chicago, in a way I feel home, it just feels right.

Old 03-24-2023, 05:31 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,898,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoItaly View Post
I don't know why they stay, but I know why I would move there. I am an Italian living in West Palm Beach for many years. I vacation to Chicago whenever I can. See, funny: people from Chicago vacation and move down here, and I look forward to escaping to Chicago.
Down here I like only a few things and definitely not the weather: Miami because it's international, has a large first generation Italian community (today more than NY), I love the many beautiful parks and the fact that whenever I want I can go play tennis, soccer, basket, hiking anything.

That said, I love Chicago because I' m a city guy. Chicago offers lot of culture, museums, great public transportation, International cuisine, not to talk about the fact that in most bars in Chicago you can listen for free to live jazz and/or blues for the same acts that would cost $ 35 to get in in South Florida.

I like to walk in Chicago, from Wicker park, to Lincoln, from Andersonville to West Loop, to Chinatown to Little Italy, to Pilsen, it's just so various. Sometimes when we are there my wife and I just ride buses and trains just to see where they go, what's there and Chicago in a way it's like many places in one. You walk a mile and you are in a completely different type of neighborhood.

But I understand that Chicago is not an easy city to like; it doesn't stun you with immediate beauty. It's more about the soul of this city and to touch that you got to walk it, live it, breathe it. Not just in the main downtown streets but in different neighborhoods.

I guess it's personal, I don't know how to describe it, but when I am in Chicago, in a way I feel home, it just feels right.
It’s not that Chicago is not doesn’t stun you with immediate beauty; it does from an urban perspective. It’s always voted one of the nicest downtowns. Throw in Lake Michigan, the River, and other parks, etc. It’s frequently thought of as one of the most beautiful downtowns and cities.

It is the weather, crime, and political issues that give it a bad rep and have people consider moving out.

Old 04-20-2023, 04:09 PM

219 posts, read 136,575 times
The truth is that I can't afford to live anyplace I'd want to move to. If money wasn't an issue I'd probably move to NYC but I can't afford it. I did like Asheville but I found it to be to small and slow for my tastes. At heart I'm a big city boy.

Old 04-21-2023, 10:06 AM

119 posts, read 88,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Arrow View Post
The truth is that I can't afford to live anyplace I'd want to move to. If money wasn't an issue I'd probably move to NYC but I can't afford it. I did like Asheville but I found it to be to small and slow for my tastes. At heart I'm a big city boy.
Good point. I'd say Chicago is like the poor man's NYC. I've driven thru Ashville on the way to Raleigh & remember it being pretty scenic so i can definitely see the appeal. My cousin moved from Chicago to Raleigh 10 years ago & has never looked back fondly on Chicago.

Old 04-21-2023, 11:34 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,724,668 times
Chicago is descending into lawlessness and a majority of the 38% that voted want it.

Old 04-21-2023, 11:46 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,570,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoItaly View Post

Florida is awful as a place to be. I respect and even admire its successes in terms of development, opportunities, and governance. Unfortunately, pretty much everything else about it I dislike.

Old 04-21-2023, 12:07 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,479,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Florida is awful as a place to be. I respect and even admire its successes in terms of development, opportunities, and governance. Unfortunately, pretty much everything else about it I dislike.

The weather is just miserable 9 months out of the year, and spotty during the other three months. I was once down there at Christmas and it was 98 degrees. When I got back to Chicago I believe it was close to 0 and I'd never been so happy to see the cold in my life.

I also wouldn't want to live there because it is too steeped in the culture war. I wouldn't move to a place like D.C. or most of CA for the same reason. Too much of a flock mentality, and I have always been a non conformist at heart. I just think I would be absolutely miserable there. But to each his own.

Old 04-21-2023, 12:11 PM

219 posts, read 136,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Florida is about to ban drag queen shows and has already banned merely discussing sexuality in high school. That's too American Taliban for my tastes.

Old 04-21-2023, 12:16 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,479,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Arrow View Post
Florida is about to ban drag queen shows and has already banned merely discussing sexuality in high school. That's too American Taliban for my tastes.
In schools, or everywhere?

Old 04-21-2023, 12:17 PM

2,195 posts, read 1,867,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
The weather is just miserable 9 months out of the year, and spotty during the other three months I was once down there at Christmas and it was 98 degrees. When I got back to Chicago I believe it was close to 0 and I'd never been so happy to see the cold in my life.

I also wouldn't want to live there because it is too steeped in the culture war. I wouldn't move to a place like D.C. or most of CA for the same reason. Too much of a flock mentality, and I have always been a non conformist at heart. I just think I would be absolutely miserable there. But to each his own.
People who say they love Florida and that they are "winning" down there are typically conservatives who applaud the culture war DeSantis has waged.

They also now allow concealed carry for anyone - no permit, no training, no IDs, nothing. Any human can walk around with a gun under their jacket there now. I'm okay with concealed carry, but do allow this with no restrictions/requirements is reckless.

My son spent 4 months down there for work, and he is a gun guy, but socially liberal. His beef with the place wasn't political. He hated the weather. Never wanted to take another job down there just because of that.

It feels like a place where I'd be pretty uncomfortable, pretty quickly. But I'd be happy to hit it up for some vacation time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago