Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2022, 01:40 PM

2,192 posts, read 1,850,403 times

Advertisements

There are racists in every neighborhood in every city.

Chicago is a bit complicated in this way. In a city this big something like 75% of all murder victims are black, even though they are only about 1/3 of the population. Because of this, some non-black people are going to think a certain way. This city is very newsworthy about murders and it puts some people on edge. This is likely where some of the racist comments are coming from. But they don't understand the long, long history of why things are the way they are here.

But overall, there are thousands of people in the AA community thriving in neighborhoods all over the city. Like someone else said, look at overall crime statistics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2022, 02:52 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,464,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
even though they are only about 1/3 of the population.
This is a lie. Who do you think are voting for black politicians??? LOL

Old 06-20-2022, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
This is a lie. Who do you think are voting for black politicians??? LOL
I'm assuming this is tongue in cheek...

Amazingly, this city is essentially 30/30/30/10 with black/white/latino/(asian/other)

Old 06-20-2022, 05:31 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,183,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
I'm assuming this is tongue in cheek...

Amazingly, this city is essentially 30/30/30/10 with black/white/latino/(asian/other)
But what is the electorate? Does it break down the same? I doubt it!

More to the point, I have no idea where the young lady works or if she owns a car or a dog. All of that will enter into the choice of a location for a residence.

But I think that the OP should live where she feels comfortable and leave it at that.

Old 06-20-2022, 06:15 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,474,875 times
I am ex Chicagoan,what happens to all the tall buildings on Sheridan Road,once you get off Lake Shore Drive,is the Malibu building still there>
And what about Kenmore behind Sheridan Road,plenty of cheap apts there as well.
I also have friends who lived in Andersonville.
Chicago used to be a bloc neighborhood,bloc by bloc,on the west side ,there were the Polish,Lithuanian,Ukrainian,they said Chicago has the largest Polish population outside Warsaw,many of my co workers are Polish American.
I recall Sheridan Road is very Jewish and they do discriminate against the Blacks,but that was long time ago.
Like they said,pick a safe place.

Old 06-23-2022, 12:36 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,586,016 times
A particular neighborhood might be great like Hyde Park, but the surrounding areas are not so great as Hyde Park itself. You might have to travel thru those areas to get to your apartment or shopping, so you might keep that in mind.

A neighborhood ought to have amenities like your favorite grocery store, restaurant, fast food, Target, Walgreens, whatever you want.. and if you have to travel to get to them, think about whether those blocks are safe or desirable for you and that you feel comfortable in.

Actually, you really have to make a trip to the neighborhood of your choice to get a feel if you would be comfortable. My friend told me that i would not fit into Hyde Park and did not say why. i figured out that it was because she considered me too conservative (i am guessing Hyde Park is more liberal and artsy).

So really invest in a little day trip or overnight trip even, walk around and see how you feel day AND night. See what kind of people shop at the various stores/restaurants and you'll get a feel for the neighborhood.

Old 06-24-2022, 11:25 AM

332 posts, read 524,907 times
Couple of quick chime-in's. . . .

When discussing Rogers Park and Hyde Park (both great neighborhoods IMHO) - remember that via public transportation it can EASILY take an hour and a half to get from one to the other -- to go from Rogers Park to Hyde Park you'd have to take the red line from Loyola all the way to 55th/Garfield and then transfer to a bus . . .each time I've been to Hyde Park it's been via car to/from due to travel time.

Lincoln Park is essentially a de facto landing pad for recent college graduates to come to Chicago for a few years to start their careers and then move on somewhere else - whether that be somewhere else in the city, the suburbs, their hometown, or wherever their career paths may take them. So there's always going to be a very transient component to LP.

Old 06-24-2022, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swandaddy View Post
Couple of quick chime-in's. . . .

When discussing Rogers Park and Hyde Park (both great neighborhoods IMHO) - remember that via public transportation it can EASILY take an hour and a half to get from one to the other -- to go from Rogers Park to Hyde Park you'd have to take the red line from Loyola all the way to 55th/Garfield and then transfer to a bus . . .each time I've been to Hyde Park it's been via car to/from due to travel time.

Lincoln Park is essentially a de facto landing pad for recent college graduates to come to Chicago for a few years to start their careers and then move on somewhere else - whether that be somewhere else in the city, the suburbs, their hometown, or wherever their career paths may take them. So there's always going to be a very transient component to LP.
Valid points.

Old 06-24-2022, 01:05 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swandaddy View Post

While there is truth to this statement, this is a partial truth. Lincoln Park has over 70K residents and there are a lot of families in the community area. It utterly depends on where in the neighborhood you are. The area we are in has a lot of families for example - far outweighing people who just graduated college in the last 5 years with no kids.

Old 06-24-2022, 07:36 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,474,875 times
it is not that easy to find affordable housing in Lincoln Park for just out of college kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago