Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 08:04 PM

2 posts, read 6,489 times

Advertisements

Thanks so much for the advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 12:20 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,687,867 times
Glad I saw this thread. I'm moving to Chicago in August and this question has been weighing on my mind heavily. Sounds like I will need a window unit. I hate the heat.

Old 05-25-2008, 06:56 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,990 times
I don't have AC.

Then again, i get cross breezes from the lake, and if it's really bad, I can walk two blocks and sit in the lake.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:17 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
It was the summer of '95.

I was 8 months pregnant.

It sucked.
That was a miserable summer. I remember it well. Whenever I think of that summer, I remember walking into the apartment of a a friend who didn't have a/c and had an infant. The apartment was brutally hot and she had the infant laying in front of a fan and kept spraying him with water to cool him off. When I walked in she was seething and said "that is it, I have to get out of here". She moved shortly thereafter.

An interesting book (http://www.press.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/hfs.cgi/00/14801.ctl - broken link) was written about that summer. I recommend it.

Old 05-25-2008, 05:27 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
That was a miserable summer. I remember it well.
If I remember right there were also power outages on the west side that made the problem much bigger. Com Ed was in a heap of trouble.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:48 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
I remember that summer because I moved during that summer. It was 102 degrees the day I moved. Even in central Wisconsin it was awful. I volunteered part-time at a summer camp in central Wisconsin that summer. There were a few days that year where the camp directors basically said, "OK, the camp is closed, everyone go down to the lake and go swimming." Those were harrowing days for those of us who were lifeguarding.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:08 PM

1,464 posts, read 5,510,206 times
Default Numerous factors come into play here

There are numerous things that will come into play here if you will or will not need A/C.

First if your apt faces north or east, vs south or west will make a HUGE difference. Those easterly breezes off the lake work like a giant air conditioner year round like today for instance. 82 yesterday with SW winds and 45 today with NE winds. See a difference?

Also, if you are on a tree lined street vs one with no trees. Urban heat islands can be brutal and keep your apt like an oven even during the night because the whole neighborhood will throw off heat that is absorbed during the day light hours due to lack of shade.

Next how busy your street is will make a difference too. Cars and trucks sitting bumper to bumper stopped in traffic just radiate heat during those hot summer days. If you dont believe me, go to Manhattan and experience it for yourself. Gridlocked traffic can warm up your block some 5-10 degrees actually, but again that falls under the urban heat island aspect.

Next, what floor you are on matters to an extent. Yes being on the 2nd or 3rd floor is going to be a bit cumbersome but that is because you aren't above the canopy of other surrouding buildings so the heat just gets trapped in the concrete canyons in the stagnant air. If you live in one of the taller buildings like those found in Lakeview, or LP, you may be up on the 15th floor and be able to get up in the cross winds which will just blow into your unit and cool you off.

Another huge factor is the color of your building. Black buildings or any dark color for that matter will just soak up the heat and turn your place into an easy bake oven for you, but a light white building like the newer ones are, will reflect the suns rays and keep the building cool.

Lastly just keep your blinds closed during the day time hours to keep out the hot sun's rays and that should keep you cool.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:14 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
You wont need AC today.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
That was a miserable summer. I remember it well. Whenever I think of that summer, I remember walking into the apartment of a a friend who didn't have a/c and had an infant. The apartment was brutally hot and she had the infant laying in front of a fan and kept spraying him with water to cool him off. When I walked in she was seething and said "that is it, I have to get out of here". She moved shortly thereafter.

An interesting book (http://www.press.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/hfs.cgi/00/14801.ctl - broken link) was written about that summer. I recommend it.
Yeah it was. I was working outside in the city for Streets and San all summer. BRUTAL.
On top of that my brother and I did not have AC. We lived on the 2nd floor.
I got deathly ill from Salmonella via food poisoning. That 10 days or so of illness was pure and utter hell.

I have to check out that book. Thanks for the link. When I can give you rep again I will.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I concur with Drover. Get a window unit, but only if you are above the ground floor. Otherwise they are security hazards.

I personally don't like living here without AC, but many people do it. I've done both over the years, but am definitely addicted to AC now...
(For the OP)

"Portable" floor units are good too. The only thing is I have not seen them cheaper then $300. One probably could do the job for 800 sq feet.

There are also air cooling devices in which you put water into that are very cheap and use far less electricity.

Haier 7,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner - HPRB07XC7 : Target

Search results for air Coolers - Wal-mart
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago