Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2022, 12:57 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,551,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
And was super impressed. Impressed enough to move there? IDK, but pretty close.

Positives -
Great downtown, duh, not much else to be said there. Gorgeous skyline, super walkable, a lot of great restaurants, people were friendly enough. Remarkably clean

People - down to earth, friendly enough.

Food - super diverse, lots of options. Had great pho and the best quesadilla I've ever had.

Negatives -
Weather- still a bit nippy for April. Not unbearable, but unpredictable for sure.

Drivers- I was expecting midwest friendliness. I didn't get that. Far more aggressive than Californians, which was surprising.
I don't think our "cleanliness" is well-deserved. This city is filthy, just less filthy than LA or SF or Denver or wherever. Did you notice all of the encampments under almost every significant overpass or bridge? Encampments taking over neighborhood parks as far away from downtown as Rogers Park? Chicagoland is my home and my native city. But, it has substantial problems that should not be glossed over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2022, 06:31 AM

2,195 posts, read 1,852,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I don't think our "cleanliness" is well-deserved. This city is filthy, just less filthy than LA or SF or Denver or wherever. Did you notice all of the encampments under almost every significant overpass or bridge? Encampments taking over neighborhood parks as far away from downtown as Rogers Park? Chicagoland is my home and my native city. But, it has substantial problems that should not be glossed over.
Good Lord, man. Let the man enjoy his vacation!

Chicago is VERY clean compared to virtually any large city. All cities are dirty.

Nobody is going to Rogers Park when visiting Chicago on a trip.

Lighten up, Francis!

Old 04-08-2022, 07:19 AM

4,641 posts, read 3,254,543 times
Kmanshouse, I visit Rogers Park when I take my trips to Chicago.

But I am NOT the norm when it comes to the definition of a "visitor."

I am, in fact, an abnormal visitor!

Here's to everyone having a great day, and a greater weekend!!

Old 04-08-2022, 07:42 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post

Chicago is VERY clean compared to virtually any large city. All cities are dirty.

Lighten up, Francis!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Kmanshouse, I visit Rogers Park when I take my trips to Chicago.

But I am NOT the norm when it comes to the definition of a "visitor."

I am, in fact, an abnormal visitor!

Here's to everyone having a great day, and a greater weekend!!
Yes - so much great food in Rogers Park with Devon Ave. - great Indian food as well as Russian bakeries...great area for "real" food.

Old 04-08-2022, 07:44 AM

2,388 posts, read 2,341,464 times
Was down there for Memorial Day last year. Despite my limited time there I was impressed with the Riverwalk and Millennium Mile. Much cleaner than I was expecting. Walkable AF and plenty of transit despite running on a Sunday schedule.

If things don't work out with this job I'm at I will consider Chicago despite its obvious issues.

Old 04-08-2022, 08:27 AM

reneeh63, good morning.

You'll have to forgive me, but I have NEVER taken in any of the restaurants or bakeries on Devon Avenue! Although I agree that that is a very bustling part of town... But to be honest, if my memory serves me correct, that stretch actually falls more in the West Ridge neighborhood. But I imagine as you go more and more east on Devon Avenue (going into the actual Rogers Park neighborhood) there are STILL going to be the delicious establishments that you are mentioning!)

If one follows Clark Avenue in the Rogers Park neighborhood, they'll find an eclectic blend of other ethnic restaurants (certainly Mexican, but I believe maybe even some African restaurants).

Chicago is full of delicious places in all her "4 corners."

Old 04-08-2022, 08:30 AM

Marv95, good morning.

Thank you for mentioning the Riverwalk. I have actually never WALKED it!

But I WOULD recommend that one take the Water Taxi for a round trip ride, maybe starting in beautiful Ping Tom Park in Chinatown. It makes approximately 4 step before it turns around. And I think the price is $5.00 for a 1-hour roundtrip ride.

You'll see the city from the river's point of view (beautiful buildings, people walking and eating outside, etc)..

Ohhhhhhhhhh, I can't WAIT for the warm weather!

Old 04-08-2022, 08:51 AM

12,839 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post

Lighten up, Francis!
Haha! Right! Look, I can only speak for downtown. It was nice compared to a lot of cities I've been. Don't see anything wrong with comparing it to LA or NYC though, those are your peer cities.

Old 04-08-2022, 08:52 AM

12,839 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Marv95, good morning.

Thank you for mentioning the Riverwalk. I have actually never WALKED it!

But I WOULD recommend that one take the Water Taxi for a round trip ride, maybe starting in beautiful Ping Tom Park in Chinatown. It makes approximately 4 step before it turns around. And I think the price is $5.00 for a 1-hour roundtrip ride.

You'll see the city from the river's point of view (beautiful buildings, people walking and eating outside, etc)..

Ohhhhhhhhhh, I can't WAIT for the warm weather!
Dang it, missed this part.

Old 04-08-2022, 09:01 AM

2,195 posts, read 1,852,784 times
Master Jay, you come down from MKE, and are a full explorer, so Rogers Park makes sense for you!

As for Devon Ave, it's a cool cultural immersion vibe but I've not had great luck with my food choices, despite reading reviews ahead of time. You can get everything, but the quality is very mixed.

If you want extraordinary Indian cuisine, I'd recommend Basant on Lincoln Ave. Just south of Irving Park Road. Not cheap, but incredibly high quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago