Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2022, 11:40 AM

84 posts, read 193,540 times

Advertisements

Hello, All. I am finally making the move to Chicago in May. My apartment is located in the Edgewater area. I appologize, if this question has been asked but I need some input and I know folks here help out.

I have a paid-off car that I want to bring with me. Can someone tell me how parking in Chicago functions (for a novice, noob etc.) so when I drive in all the way from TX, I can at least have an idea what to do and not get my car towed or ticketed etc.

PS: If anyone can be kind enough also to tell me how people do grocercies etc. in Chicago if they are using public transportation etc.

Will greatly appreciate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2022, 08:36 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,785,524 times
Glad your car is paid off. We all feel much better knowing that.

Signs will be posted in tow zones. Some street parking needs permits, typically in residential areas, some you use a pay station and some is simply first come first served.

For the groceries while walking or public transportation it s quite simple. Limit your purchases to what you can carry. Coming from Texas tap water will be your new friend. Unless you live very close to the store it gets very easy to skip buying water to avoid lugging it home.

Good luck on your move.

Old 03-31-2022, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendersj31 View Post
Glad your car is paid off. We all feel much better knowing that.

Good luck on your move.
Thanks for the information and is helpful to me.

The only reason I mention paid-off car is that people usually tell me to sell my car and don't put up with the hassle of it in Chicago considering I will live near to Redline Thorndale station. But being paid-off and a older model I can just bring it and maybe get rid of it later. I am not going to get much for this car anyways and still runs like pro.

Old 03-31-2022, 03:25 PM

3,959 posts, read 6,893,677 times
You will find that Chicago is a very easy city to get by in without a car. You might find the hassle of parking one outweighs the benefits of having it. Where you're located in Edgewater will determine if you will need a parking permit. Everyone in Chicago is required to have a city sticker which costs around $100.

Some areas have ample amounts of parking, others don't. Again, that depends on actual location and I can't speak for Edgewater.

Driving to the grocery store will likely be an option for you. Many grocery stores have parking for free. Finding a spot close to your place might be hard though.

Winters are a whole other animal. In winter many streets close and cars are ticketed or towed that are in those zones. You will find it much harder to find a spot in the winter months due to the closures. There is also the famous Chicago "Dibs" where someone claims a spot with a chair or other object since they shoveled out that spot.

Best of luck to you, with current used car prices being sky high you might be better off selling it if you find you don't use it much before next winter.

Old 03-31-2022, 04:27 PM

Thanks for the awesome and very helpful reply.

Gives me a lots of insight and pretty much reinforces what I have heard others say. I agree and have a feeling that I will end up selling my car few months after I move. Good thing I kept my old car and if I need to retire it no hard feelings.

Old 03-31-2022, 05:45 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,544,511 times
Find someone that has a garage space for rent. It's not cheap, but can be well worth it if one desires to keep their car!

Old 03-31-2022, 08:47 PM

3,110 posts, read 3,396,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highguard View Post
Hello, All. I am finally making the move to Chicago in May. My apartment is located in the Edgewater area. I appologize, if this question has been asked but I need some input and I know folks here help out.

I have a paid-off car that I want to bring with me. Can someone tell me how parking in Chicago functions (for a novice, noob etc.) so when I drive in all the way from TX, I can at least have an idea what to do and not get my car towed or ticketed etc.

PS: If anyone can be kind enough also to tell me how people do groceries etc. in Chicago if they are using public transportation etc.

Will greatly appreciate.
https://www.chicityclerk.com/sticker

$95 for a city sticker. This will be in addition to what you pay for IL plate.

Parking depends on your neighborhood. Your new apartment may tell you if you need a special permit for your street. There should be off street garage for parking, you will need it. In winter carry a snow shovel so you can dig yourself out. Have a bag of road salt snowmelt for ice in the trunk.

Get groceries the usual way. Stores will provide some parking. Be sure to park & shop at the store & pay attention to any time limits. Store will pay private towing co if you stay too long then you will be responsible to pay any charges. Pay attention to no parking signs, zones.

Old 04-01-2022, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
Find someone that has a garage space for rent. It's not cheap, but can be well worth it if one desires to keep their car!
Yes, I am thinking about doing that. I have heard the rates are like $150 a month or so but might have to put up with it.

Old 04-01-2022, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
https://www.chicityclerk.com/sticker

$95 for a city sticker. This will be in addition to what you pay for IL plate.

Parking depends on your neighborhood. Your new apartment may tell you if you need a special permit for your street. There should be off street garage for parking, you will need it. In winter carry a snow shovel so you can dig yourself out. Have a bag of road salt snowmelt for ice in the trunk.

Get groceries the usual way. Stores will provide some parking. Be sure to park & shop at the store & pay attention to any time limits. Store will pay private towing co if you stay too long then you will be responsible to pay any charges. Pay attention to no parking signs, zones.
Thanks for the info. The city sticker..curious, do I have to get it before I leave TX or I will have some time to get it once I get into the city. I will be intially driving in with Texas plates and registeration.

Old 04-01-2022, 04:08 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,276,527 times
Even though you think your car may not be worth much, it’s probably worth more this year than it has in a long time. Demand for used cars is still through the roof. I would seriously consider selling either before you move or shortly after. Considering all the expense and hassle, if you don’t NEED to have it, it’s probably not worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: