Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2022, 04:20 PM

84 posts, read 192,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Even though you think your car may not be worth much, it’s probably worth more this year than it has in a long time. Demand for used cars is still through the roof. I would seriously consider selling either before you move or shortly after. Considering all the expense and hassle, if you don’t NEED to have it, it’s probably not worth it.
Yes I agree and might actually give me more if I act sooner than later. Like someone mentioned above if I feel I can make it without my car I will sell it before the winter time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2022, 07:32 PM

3,047 posts, read 3,315,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highguard View Post
Thanks for the info. The city sticker..curious, do I have to get it before I leave TX or I will have some time to get it once I get into the city. I will be intially driving in with Texas plates and registeration.
You will have 30 days after you get to Chicago. In addition to your DL & registration you will need apartment lease agreement. This will establish date for when the 30 days start.

Separate rules to swap DL & registration for plates to IL.

Old 04-01-2022, 09:24 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,711,339 times
Edgewater can be kind of rough for finding street parking, especially closer to the lake.

As far as groceries go, I would just pick up small amounts of items as I needed them when I was on my way home from work. On the weekends, I would drive my car to the store and get bigger items like toilet paper, cat litter, laundry detergent. I know a lot of people have groceries delivered.

I would recommend bringing your car with you, but keep in mind how frequently you drive it. If it sits for a week or two, then maybe consider selling it. My SO and I had two cars when we moved to Chicago and we ended up selling one because we could easily share.

Old 04-02-2022, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
You will have 30 days after you get to Chicago. In addition to your DL & registration you will need apartment lease agreement. This will establish date for when the 30 days start.

Separate rules to swap DL & registration for plates to IL.
Thank you much for this info. Glad I have 30 days to get things done.

Old 04-02-2022, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Edgewater can be kind of rough for finding street parking, especially closer to the lake.

As far as groceries go, I would just pick up small amounts of items as I needed them when I was on my way home from work. On the weekends, I would drive my car to the store and get bigger items like toilet paper, cat litter, laundry detergent. I know a lot of people have groceries delivered.

I would recommend bringing your car with you, but keep in mind how frequently you drive it. If it sits for a week or two, then maybe consider selling it. My SO and I had two cars when we moved to Chicago and we ended up selling one because we could easily share.
Yes, I agree. I am going to bring my car and see how much I need it & how successful I am in parking it. If I am not using it much might as well sell it since older cars are in demand. But if I find use of it especially in the weekends to do groceries etc. might as well keep it. Here in Houston, TX, my job is 100% remote now and I take my car out only on the weekends to do groceries and errands. Believe me that in this mostly car-city (where it is hard to function without one) I still get notes pasted on my car 'I want to buy your car'.

Old 04-04-2022, 07:21 AM

3,922 posts, read 6,836,808 times
Another thing to note is that you may have random no parking notices posted on the street for any given reason. I once got a ticket because I was street parked for 4 days and during that time parking enforcement made it a no parking zone. I didn't check on my car so I didn't know a notice was posted and I got a $125 ticket. Be sure to check on your car every other day or so if possible.

Old 04-04-2022, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Another thing to note is that you may have random no parking notices posted on the street for any given reason. I once got a ticket because I was street parked for 4 days and during that time parking enforcement made it a no parking zone. I didn't check on my car so I didn't know a notice was posted and I got a $125 ticket. Be sure to check on your car every other day or so if possible.
Thanks for the update and will do. It seems like owning a car is a challenge in Chicago which is fine to me as I will most likely end up selling it in the near future. One of the reasons I am leaving Houston is because I am tired of driving everywhere and in excess of 1+ hour (most of the time).

Last edited by highguard; 04-04-2022 at 10:31 AM..

Old 04-04-2022, 12:11 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,550,099 times
I cannot imagine not having a car in Chicago. But, I also cannot imagine having a car without a parking space in much of the city. We really have to normalize not leaving your personal property on the street indefinitely. This will become essential with an EV future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: