Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2022, 04:30 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times

Advertisements

This was an interesting post in another forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Sorry this is their 2022 RANKING.

Anyhow Good job USA

World Economic Forum: San Jose, Boston & San Francisco Top 3 in Talent Concentration in 2022 Global Ranking

North America
Top Global Cities By Innovation:

1 San Jose
3 San Francisco
4 Boston
5 New York
10 Seattle
14 Los Angeles
15 San Diego
17 Toronto
19 Austin
23 Chicago
25 Raleigh-Durham

North America
Top Global Cities By Talent Concentration:

1 San Jose
2 Boston
3 San Francisco
7 Washington DC
8 Austin
9 Seattle
18 Toronto
19 New York
20 Raleigh-Durham
23 Denver
24 Calgary

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2022/...lent-property/
We have debated on this thread a lot how Chicago stacks up in terms of innovation. It seems I have been wrong in that Chicago is doing pretty well in terms of innovation. The rankings in “talent concentration” seems to be where Chicago is lower and where the cities that are commonly thought of as “tech cities” seem to thrive (Bay Area, Boston, Austin, Seattle, DC).

Additionally, it seems like the Bay Area, Boston, Seattle, Austin, Raleigh Durham, and NYC, are represented in both rankings. Again, these are thought of as “tech cities.”

So maybe the lack of “talent concentration” is why Chicago is not commonly thought of as a “tech/innovation” city, when in reality it’s ranked higher than we think.

Thoughts on this? How can Chicago gain in “global talent concentration?”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2022, 08:00 PM

74 posts, read 67,294 times
The issue here is that Chicago is 3rd in population. It really shows that Chicago is LAUGHABLY underperforming vs other cities much smaller than itself. While other cities are climbing the rankings Chicago appears to be doing little more than slipping. Simply being a large city in itself is no longer the only requirement for success, maybe someday our leaders will acknowledge that.

Old 02-05-2022, 08:37 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,580,285 times
Well stated and dead on.

Old 02-06-2022, 08:15 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,210,944 times
As somebody who lives in a tech heavy city, be careful what you wish for is all I’m going to say.

Old 02-06-2022, 08:22 AM

226 posts, read 133,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
As somebody who lives in a tech heavy city, be careful what you wish for is all I’m going to say.

Mod cut. Same sentiments were expressed in the Chicago housing thread. Literally the number one thing Chicago has over cities like New York and LA is its affordability. Yeah lets become a tech Meccas like SF or Seattle and price out one of the few cities where the middle class can still thrive. I've lived in Seattle and LA. The Middle class there is extinct! The COL is so high, anybody who isn't super rich or poor enough to recieve tons of government assistance is leaving. Just go take a look at the SF/LA/Seattle forums, everybody there is complaining about sky high costs, and you people want that to be Chicago just so a bunch of tech firms can be here? Nah I'm good, you can still buy a home in a decent neighborhood in the city for 300k or less, thats damn near impossible in all of our peer cities excluding Philly.

I'm fine with Chicago being in the middle of the pack. Not low where no innovation is happening, but not high where tech workers have taken over the city.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-06-2022 at 11:50 AM.. Reason: Rude.

Old 02-06-2022, 09:25 AM

934 posts, read 1,441,193 times
Strong tech economy can be a good thing, as long as its well-balanced in a diverse economy for the city. But top 25 in the world for innovation? I'll take it.

Old 02-06-2022, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge View Post
Strong tech economy can be a good thing, as long as its well-balanced in a diverse economy for the city. But top 25 in the world for innovation? I'll take it.
Agree. A diversified economy is the key, and being one of the global leaders in innovation is impressive. With University of Chicago and Northwestern, I think the city can develop and maintain a pool of innovative talent locally. That would be nice to have as well.

Old 02-06-2022, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greencheese View Post
The issue here is that Chicago is 3rd in population. It really shows that Chicago is LAUGHABLY underperforming vs other cities much smaller than itself. While other cities are climbing the rankings Chicago appears to be doing little more than slipping. Simply being a large city in itself is no longer the only requirement for success, maybe someday our leaders will acknowledge that.
Right, but it's not all about city size. Houston (4th largest city), Phoenix (5th largest city), and Philly (6th largest city) are not on either list.

So if Chicago is LAUGHABLY underperforming, so are many other cities.....

Old 02-06-2022, 02:06 PM

74 posts, read 67,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Right, but it's not all about city size. Houston (4th largest city), Phoenix (5th largest city), and Philly (6th largest city) are not on either list.

So if Chicago is LAUGHABLY underperforming, so are many other cities.....

And when those cities start calling themselves Alpha global cities then they can be compared as well. The problem with Chicago is it likes to hold itself out as a global city but the second there's negative news it tries to compare itself to other lesser cities. Start talking about corporate headquarters and Chicago is all about being a global city that should ONLY be compared to NYC or LA in the US, but start the conversation towards crime and suddenly I should think of St Louis as Chicago's peer...

Old 02-06-2022, 02:18 PM

226 posts, read 133,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greencheese View Post
And when those cities start calling themselves Alpha global cities then they can be compared as well. The problem with Chicago is it likes to hold itself out as a global city but the second there's negative news it tries to compare itself to other lesser cities. Start talking about corporate headquarters and Chicago is all about being a global city that should ONLY be compared to NYC or LA in the US, but start the conversation towards crime and suddenly I should think of St Louis as Chicago's peer...

Chicago is a global city, 7th richest city in the world. Yes it has a crime problem, but the point still stands.

Thank God Chicago isn't a tech mecca. I love being able to live a middle class lifestyle in a world class city like Chicago. Go to Seattle/SF/Austin/etc. and go look at what an economy dominated by tech workers does.

Chicago has the most diverse economy in the country, very proud of this city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago