Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2022, 02:34 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,866,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greencheese View Post
And when those cities start calling themselves Alpha global cities then they can be compared as well. The problem with Chicago is it likes to hold itself out as a global city but the second there's negative news it tries to compare itself to other lesser cities. Start talking about corporate headquarters and Chicago is all about being a global city that should ONLY be compared to NYC or LA in the US, but start the conversation towards crime and suddenly I should think of St Louis as Chicago's peer...
Yeah, that is a fair point. The city can't have it both ways....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2022, 07:10 PM

663 posts, read 306,036 times
Global cities are not based on crime or being a mega-city. Some like to use it in comparisons. Still, importance overall is not on criteria of claimed issues. Otherwise, even those formally from LA or NYC in Chicago should leave for greener pastures.

Corporate America still over time decides. You can take your multple degrees and resume elsewhere.

Old 02-08-2022, 08:51 AM

Default Tech Talent Rankings

https://www.cbre.com/insights/report...1#introduction

Old 02-23-2022, 05:01 PM

Illinois has actually fared pretty well in terms of tech job growth during the pandemic.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ide-west-coast

Old 02-23-2022, 06:00 PM

71 posts, read 45,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Illinois has actually fared pretty well in terms of tech job growth during the pandemic.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ide-west-coast

Moderate tech growth, great job. Nobody wants rapid growth in that sector and for another city to become ruined like Austin and Seattle.

Old 02-23-2022, 08:53 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,579,336 times
Lol, God forbid Chicago becomes a more vibrant, safer and desirable city.

Old 02-23-2022, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post

When has tech growth made a city more vibrant? The booming tech scene in Seattle has turned it into a sterile tech nerd land for the rich. All the middle class got pushed out to far South Seattle and Tacoma, and even those two area are getting way too pricey. Guess what, your city isn't vibrant if it's just made for the rich. And how will tech make Chicago safe and desirabe? Literally no correlation lmaoo. Seattle is literally the opposite of a "vibrant" city. Ever heard of the "seattle freeze"? Austin is slowly turning that way as people are having to commute 2 hours out because COL is out of control with low garbage wages that the draconian dump that is the state of Texas offers.

Chicago still has tons of culture with our many diverse ethnic neighborhoods and such. All of Seattle ethnic neighborhoods have been gentrified and yuppified and it sucks. Don't get me wrong, i'm pro-development, but it's good how chicago is doing it. hundreds of companies have expanded or relocated to this region the past couple years. We still have the 7th largest economy in the world. The most diverse economy in the country.

Go move to Austin or Seattle and try buying a home. Buying a home here is such an easy process.

Old 02-23-2022, 09:20 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,914,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsmiths View Post
When has tech growth made a city more vibrant? The booming tech scene in Seattle has turned it into a sterile tech nerd land for the rich. All the middle class got pushed out to far South Seattle and Tacoma, and even those two area are getting way too pricey. Guess what, your city isn't vibrant if it's just made for the rich. And how will tech make Chicago safe and desirabe? Literally no correlation lmaoo. Seattle is literally the opposite of a "vibrant" city. Ever heard of the "seattle freeze"? Austin is slowly turning that way as people are having to commute 2 hours out because COL is out of control with low garbage wages that the draconian dump that is the state of Texas offers.

Chicago still has tons of culture with our many diverse ethnic neighborhoods and such. All of Seattle ethnic neighborhoods have been gentrified and yuppified and it sucks. Don't get me wrong, i'm pro-development, but it's good how chicago is doing it. hundreds of companies have expanded or relocated to this region the past couple years. We still have the 7th largest economy in the world. The most diverse economy in the country.

Go move to Austin or Seattle and try buying a home. Buying a home here is such an easy process.
All valid points.

But everything is or will become “tech”. From logistics, to FiServ, to Insurance. Becoming a competitive tech market is non optional. Chicago will need to attract more entrepreneurial talent in software, bio, R&D. And it needs a much stronger backing from VC to compete. Minimally, this area should play very well in law/fiserv tech. But the city has barely dipped its toes in that water, and is getting lapped in the process.

Being a fairly tech neutral area does keep cost down around here, and keeps demand in check, and makes for a more livable environment for the middle class. But in time, ill effects will become more apparent.

Old 02-23-2022, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
All valid points.

But everything is or will become “tech”. From logistics, to FiServ, to Insurance. Becoming a competitive tech market is non optional. Chicago will need to attract more entrepreneurial talent in software, bio, R&D. And it needs a much stronger backing from VC to compete. Minimally, this area should play very well in law/fiserv tech. But the city has barely dipped its toes in that water, and is getting lapped in the process.

Being a fairly tech neutral area does keep cost down around here, and keeps demand in check, and makes for a more livable environment for the middle class. But in time, ill effects will become more apparent.

This. And you misinterpreted me, I have nothing against tech. I welcome tech growth, and you're 100% right when you say this is becoming a super digital world. Lots of biotech and other companies like that moving to the West Loop which is great, just diversifies our economy even more. There's a reason Chicago was name the #1 college grad destination in the country.

I'm just against the super fast tech growth of every company move there hq or operations to one city and everybody gets priced out. Sorry, I don't want Chicago to become Seattle, Austin, SF, or Miami! We're doing good with the moderate tech growth we're getting now. I just read this article of this startup moving its HQ from silicon valley to Chicago. Love little small victories like that. Keeps us competitive but not insane.

Old 02-24-2022, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
I believe bearsmiths may be the same poster as dtyfygiu (see his similar posts on the previous page and other threads). I agree with you that I think having a strong tech presence is very healthy for the city overall.

I think bearsmiths/dtyfgiu is saying that if it becomes the dominant industry like in SF/Seattle, it could drive up prices and make living here unaffordable. However, I don't think that will happen in Chicago. The city is waayyy too large and it has too many other established industries to be completely replaced by tech. So I don't think there should be any concern about Chicago becoming SF/Seattle. It's simply built differently and is a legacy city with deeply established core industries. However, if tech growth does occur, I think it is healthy for the city, and could help expand growth and vibrancy into parts of the South and West sides. That wouldn't make the city unaffordable imo though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago