Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2021, 03:54 PM

305 posts, read 213,195 times

Advertisements

I was but a young man in my 20s when, on my first morning as a Chicago resident, I woke up early and had coffee at a nearby Starbucks at Orchard, Lincoln, and Belden. As I sat outside at this now defunct coffee house, I took in this 6-pointed intersection of lovely old brick facades and rich foliage and knew I had stumbled upon one of the most beautiful cities and neighborhoods I would ever see. (And decades later that still holds true.)

Every time I pass this old interesection I am filled with profound gratitude and warmth.

(Looking south towards Oz Park, and Lincoln Ave. going SE on your left.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2021, 04:50 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
Definitely Mariano Plaza

https://maps.apple.com/?address=Mari...N0GgdDaGljYWdv

https://goo.gl/maps/wcQkz3RTMGePP3XeA

Old 08-06-2021, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Perfect choice. That’s where I’m hanging out tonight, in fact. I know of few urban settings as inviting and high-spirited as Mariano plaza.

Old 08-07-2021, 08:08 AM

4,641 posts, read 3,254,543 times
Boddicker, good morning and GREAT question you pose! Not fair!! Lol.....

If I could only pick ONE, I might have to say: Lincoln and Lawrence (Lincoln Square entrance).

Definite runner up would be 24th and Oakley (Little Tuscany Italy).

But if I may add some others:

Northwest Highway and Oliphant (Edison Park)

Maxwell and Halsted

Ashland and Taylor (Little Italy)

Ashland and Wrightwood (Wrightwood Park)

Cermak and Wentworth (Chinatown)

28th and Princeton (St. Jerome Croatian Church)

26th and Sacramento (Little Village/ La Villita)

Wow, Chicago Definitely has my heart!!!

Old 08-07-2021, 09:29 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
North Astor Street in the Gold Coast. My first year living in Chicago, I went walking to explore the city on a beautiful 70deg sunny spring day. Walked down that street with the beautiful spring colors, green trees, and all the mansions. One of Chicago’s beautiful streets.

Old 08-07-2021, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Boddicker, good morning and GREAT question you pose! Not fair!! Lol.....

Ashland and Wrightwood (Wrightwood Park)

Interesting choice, Master Jay. Wrightwood Park is lovely, but that actual intersection has just the one Mexican restaurant (El Presidente?) and a whole bunch of speeding cars. I drive past that intersection almost daily, and while I love Ashland for its wideness and efficiency, I always thought the area just south of there (i.e. Clyborn and Fullerton) felt like no man's land. There's a big ugly gas station and a Wendy's.

But yeah, I've played basketball in Wrightwood Park many times and the homes nearby are beautiful, as are all the young mothers. :-)

Also, I don't know if you imbibe, but there is a wonderful new-ish cocktail lounge near Lawrence and Lincoln called The Sixth. It is attached to Roots Pizza, and the bartenders there will definitely make you and your party very comfortable. After an early evening cocktail, I love to stroll over to the aforementioned Lincoln Square entrance.

Finally, I'd suggest to anyone who wants to post in this thread that they might append an accompanying story or anecdote to their chosen intersection, as personone has.

This might give these intersections a little added meaning for our readers.

Old 08-07-2021, 01:05 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Belmont and Clark. The way it was in the mid-'90s -- somewhat "edgier" than today.

Old 08-07-2021, 07:44 PM

personone, hey, thank you for sharing.

It was a very vivid and great portrayal of a fond memory of yours!

Those ARE the best experiences. Thanks again.

Old 08-07-2021, 07:46 PM

andrew61, I hear you, brother!

If you can't live on the edge, where's all the FUN?!?

Old 08-07-2021, 07:57 PM

Boddicker, Wrightwood Park always had a special place in my heart. 10 plus years ago I remember coming down for a bike ride with my dad and brother and we happened to go past it. It had the smallest swimming pool I ever saw in a park!

Am I right?!? Which Chicago park has a pool that is smaller???

Anyways, I tried for years to find that park. The aforementioned episode was a few years before I became a regular explorer.... And so I tried a few times trying to drive around OR ride my bike on the north side looking for it... And ONE day I did indeed find it.

It was the first Chicago pool I brought my kids to ( it was either Wrightwood OR River Park; first and second ever in Chicago)..... Great kids park.

And then later in a couple years I introduced my bicycle group to it and they loved it.... The Family Matters house used to be across the street

El Presidente is acceptable food. The houses are nice. But I can not talk to these mothers unless I had proof that there is no man at home.... come on, it's a Respect thing!

Also, nearby is the only real city Barnes and Noble and not far is a Chuck E. Cheese.

Ha! The first time I went to that Wendys was on a road trip when I brought my Korean language teacher!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago