Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2021, 06:57 AM

1,067 posts, read 916,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
Plenty of available and inexpensive/reasonably priced housing in 2/3 of the city, with many properties on the market for quite a while.

Don't let the North Centers or Logan Square's throw you off; Redfin tells a different story.
Agreed. Chicago is extremely affordable and plenty of supply on the market. Tight supply nationwide is causing housing (and not rents) to skyrocket but I don't see that happening in Chicago / Illinois due to taxes and the eviction moratorium.

I applaud Illinois and IHDA for getting out rental assistance quickly. But JB needs to stop extending the eviction moratorium so deadbeats stop taking advantage and we get back to normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2021, 09:19 AM

65 posts, read 46,990 times
Quote:
Plenty of available and inexpensive/reasonably priced housing in 2/3 of the city, with many properties on the market for quite a while.

Don't let the North Centers or Logan Square's throw you off; Redfin tells a different story.
I’m planning a relocation to Chicago early next year. I just had this similar conversation with my realtor. All the other cities I was looking at it’s insane. 500k+ for basic houses and they’ll be 600k+ by March. Those basic houses will be sold in a day. Chicago has good inventory and it’s affordable even with high property taxes. I love these bungalows in Berwyn and they’re priced nicely along with other areas of Chicagoland. I’m doing another trip in 2 months to check out other neighborhoods/burbs before making a decision.

IDK how long the more balanced market will last tho. Once the secret is out that Chicago isn’t the war zone the local and national media portray it be. There could be a surprise surge in sales not predicted.

Old 09-03-2021, 09:54 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,551,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeL78 View Post
I’m planning a relocation to Chicago early next year. I just had this similar conversation with my realtor. All the other cities I was looking at it’s insane. 500k+ for basic houses and they’ll be 600k+ by March. Those basic houses will be sold in a day. Chicago has good inventory and it’s affordable even with high property taxes. I love these bungalows in Berwyn and they’re priced nicely along with other areas of Chicagoland. I’m doing another trip in 2 months to check out other neighborhoods/burbs before making a decision.

IDK how long the more balanced market will last tho. Once the secret is out that Chicago isn’t the war zone the local and national media portray it be. There could be a surprise surge in sales not predicted.
Chicago and Illinois have relatively high unemployment and slower economic growth than most states. That is another factor in why home values aren't as high here as in other cities of similar caliber. So, once the secret gets out that you can get a nicer home here than you can in Denver, for example, the other secret that you might not be able to get a job or a job that is as high-paying, everything falls apart.

Old 09-03-2021, 03:56 PM

65 posts, read 46,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Chicago and Illinois have relatively high unemployment and slower economic growth than most states. That is another factor in why home values aren't as high here as in other cities of similar caliber. So, once the secret gets out that you can get a nicer home here than you can in Denver, for example, the other secret that you might not be able to get a job or a job that is as high-paying, everything falls apart.
The Chicago July unemployment rate of 8% is the same as NYC and lower than LA at 10%. Smaller high growth sunbelt cities may be lower but the pay is too. I work from home so the company I work for can be anywhere. I know some people don’t have privilege. Hopefully the unemployment rate comes down. The good thing is I don’t see the city losing Fortune 500 headquarters.

Old 09-03-2021, 04:49 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,604,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
Agreed. Chicago is extremely affordable and plenty of supply on the market. Tight supply nationwide is causing housing (and not rents) to skyrocket but I don't see that happening in Chicago / Illinois due to taxes and the eviction moratorium.

I applaud Illinois and IHDA for getting out rental assistance quickly. But JB needs to stop extending the eviction moratorium so deadbeats stop taking advantage and we get back to normal.
Can you show me those affordable homes? The only affordable ones I have seen on realtor websites are homes in the south which has high crime.

Old 09-04-2021, 02:33 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,361,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
https://www.bls.gov/web/laus/laumstrk.htm
https://www.bls.gov/web/metro/laummtrk.htm

As was said before, Chicago and Illinois have a lower unemployment rate than California, New York, New Jersey and other high housing cost states. Chicago does have a relatively high unemployment rate at 7.5%, but pales in comparison to Los Angelels' 9.3% and is less than NYC 8.0%, peer metro areas. There was a recent study that I saw on City vs. City that had Cook, Lake and Dupage as having some of the most disposable incomes available after mortgage payments in the country. I have no idea what your are talking about Chicago not having high paying jobs compared to small towns and states with low unemployment rates

There are help wanted signs everywhere here. I tend to think people in big cities are collecting unemployment until they have to work; some of their positions in hospitality have been affected, just look at Hawaii's high unemployment rate.

Chicago has alot going for it; it has a position on the Great Lakes with the largest water resource in the world as opposed to water starved states in the west; it is out of the hurricane and tropical storm and Nor'estern paths in the South and on the East Coast, and sits in a sweet spot in the country.

Old 09-04-2021, 06:00 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
https://www.bls.gov/web/laus/laumstrk.htm
https://www.bls.gov/web/metro/laummtrk.htm

As was said before, Chicago and Illinois have a lower unemployment rate than California, New York, New Jersey and other high housing cost states. Chicago does have a relatively high unemployment rate at 7.5%, but pales in comparison to Los Angelels' 9.3% and is less than NYC 8.0%, peer metro areas. There was a recent study that I saw on City vs. City that had Cook, Lake and Dupage as having some of the most disposable incomes available after mortgage payments in the country. I have no idea what your are talking about Chicago not having high paying jobs compared to small towns and states with low unemployment rates

There are help wanted signs everywhere here. I tend to think people in big cities are collecting unemployment until they have to work; some of their positions in hospitality have been affected, just look at Hawaii's high unemployment rate.

Chicago has alot going for it; it has a position on the Great Lakes with the largest water resource in the world as opposed to water starved states in the west; it is out of the hurricane and tropical storm and Nor'estern paths in the South and on the East Coast, and sits in a sweet spot in the country.
I know where my sister works (big tech), the pay here is only slightly less than the pay in HQ and Seattle. She lives in a more iconic style midcentury home. There is a comparable neighborhood by me where homes go for about 1/5 of what you can expect to pay there, with lots that are twice the size with a very appealing woodsy atmosphere.

I don’t think there is a huge incentive for some people to work now with the unemployment payments and eviction moratorium. I talked to some restaurant owner a few months ago who said that even paying $20 an hour with benefits for a dishwasher did not bring in applicants. That said, the schooling issue has also been problematic with hybrid or e-learning for a year and a half.

Old 09-05-2021, 08:15 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,580,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
Can you show me those affordable homes? The only affordable ones I have seen on realtor websites are homes in the south which has high crime.

Archer Hts for one. Belmont Craigin and Belmont Central too.

Old 09-06-2021, 01:34 AM

1,200 posts, read 1,604,922 times
Quote:
Archer Hts for one. Belmont Craigin and Belmont Central too.
Archer and Craigin received an F when it comes to crime, their violent crime rate is 40%+ above national average, they have only improved in property crime which is much lower than national average.

Old 09-06-2021, 06:11 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,361,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
Archer and Craigin received an F when it comes to crime, their violent crime rate is 40%+ above national average, they have only improved in property crime which is much lower than national average.
What do you consider affordable? I grew up in Orange County, CA and moved here from Boston. Everything looks like a bargain to me. If you are from Houston, then your persective is going to be different, since Houston might be one of the few large markets ( Houston and Philly) less expensive. To me, a safe affordable place in Chicago would be Mt. Greenwood, Evergreen Park, Oak Lawn, Oak Forest, Lyons, Berwyn, If these are too espensive for you, then maybe you should stick with Houston.

https://www.redfin.com/city/6341/IL/Evergreen-Park If this is too expensive in a safe area as an example, Chicago is not for you.

Last edited by Justabystander; 09-06-2021 at 06:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago