Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2019, 03:14 PM

4,642 posts, read 3,254,543 times

Advertisements

raleightransplant, the name escapes me, but I went to the Thai restaurant in Lincoln Square, on Lincoln Avenue, facing the Western Brown line station. That stuff made me sweat! Seriously, it was too painful to eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2019, 03:24 PM

885 posts, read 624,911 times
Master Jay: You might have dined at Roseded. This Thai restaurant is actually located on Leland Ave., which becomes the conduit for Lincoln Ave. traffic as it meets Western Ave., one block south of Lawrence Ave.

I have eaten here, also. I believe that Roseded is one of the first Thai eateries to open in Chicago. It dates to the early 1970s.

Bon appetite!

Last edited by Nearwest; 12-10-2019 at 03:35 PM..

Old 12-10-2019, 03:46 PM

Nearwest, my friend: you are correct. I just looked it up online. It is indeed Roseded. And thank you for sharing some Chicago history. I love learning more about it. Lincoln Square is a top 5 neighborhood for me. I have a ton of memories of that area. And I'm sure that area was WAY more Germanic, when it opened in the early 1970s!... That area is quite diverse, when it comes to eateries. I've sampled many. There is another Thai place ON Western, just north of the Brown Line station, I believe.

Old 12-10-2019, 03:53 PM

885 posts, read 624,911 times
Master Jay, thanks for the kudos. The other Thai restaurant to which you referred might be Green Leaf Cuisine. This eatery is located on Western Ave. across from the Brown Line station.

I actually prefer the Thai food at Green Leaf, compared to the food from Roseded.

Enjoy your Chicago culinary adventures.

Old 12-10-2019, 04:08 PM

2,195 posts, read 1,852,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleightransplant View Post
Yes. Lincoln Square has some of the best Thai food in the city hands down. My fiancé is Thai, and she takes her family (who still live in Thailand) to Aroy in particular whenever they visit. We go up that way a lot for Thai. There is a little Thai grocer next to Rosded that has some good stuff as well.
I've been meaning to get to that grocer. I can walk there in 7-8 minutes. I highly recommend Siam Country - across the street from Aroy. We prefer their food (although they are both good), and their owners are the nicest people ever.

Old 12-10-2019, 04:10 PM

Nearwest, hopefully our friend raleightransplant has had a chance to go to Green Leaf with his wife and/or in-laws!.. Tomorrow I'm meeting a group I met from my days when I'd stay at the Roadway Inn in Skokie (it's since been torn down. Perhaps you know the one. Nowadays, there's a Chik Fil A). We are going to Morettis in Morton Grove.. I did like a place called Hana's Chinese, in a strip mall off of Skokie Blvd. in Skokie, near the now defunct Roadway Inn. Hana's is now a Lao Sze Chuan. And it's pretty good. I've also been to their restaurant in Evanston. But their location in Chinatown is the best... Wow, I guess I really DO get around your area, for being a Milwaukee guy!

Old 12-10-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearwest View Post
Master Jay, thanks for the kudos. The other Thai restaurant to which you referred might be Green Leaf Cuisine. This eatery is located on Western Ave. across from the Brown Line station.

I actually prefer the Thai food at Green Leaf, compared to the food from Roseded.

Enjoy your Chicago culinary adventures.
I believe that is right. Ate there once - like most, it's BYOB, but what's cool, is there is a liquor store right next door. Go in there, grab your brews, bring them next door, sit down and eat.

It was at Green Leaf where I tried about the hottest Thai dish I ever had. It was just barely edible, and delicious.

Old 12-10-2019, 04:22 PM

No disrespect to the Thai food lovers, but if I could pick one Asian restaurant in Lincoln Square vicinity, I must respectfully choose San Soo Gab San Korean BBQ, on Western and Berwyn Aves. I've been going their for years, since it fit the "hole in the wall" profile. It's gone through changes, and now has a sushi area. Over the years when I play "Chicago tour giver" to friends and family, I always take them there. It's always a great time. Last time, I chatted up the table next to me and my date, and soon we were sitting at their table, and I was reintroducing them to some Korean liquor, and teaching them some Korean language

Old 12-12-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
No disrespect to the Thai food lovers, but if I could pick one Asian restaurant in Lincoln Square vicinity, I must respectfully choose San Soo Gab San Korean BBQ, on Western and Berwyn Aves. I've been going their for years, since it fit the "hole in the wall" profile. It's gone through changes, and now has a sushi area. Over the years when I play "Chicago tour giver" to friends and family, I always take them there. It's always a great time. Last time, I chatted up the table next to me and my date, and soon we were sitting at their table, and I was reintroducing them to some Korean liquor, and teaching them some Korean language
I love them all.

Thai, Korean, Vietnamese especially. But a good Chinese food dish is great, and Filipino food is underrated. Japanese is just a different animal completely - I typically consider that standalone.

Old 12-12-2019, 09:16 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleightransplant View Post
Yes. Lincoln Square has some of the best Thai food in the city hands down. My fiancé is Thai, and she takes her family (who still live in Thailand) to Aroy in particular whenever they visit. We go up that way a lot for Thai. There is a little Thai grocer next to Rosded that has some good stuff as well.

Sticky Rice on Western and Irving is a must for Thai food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago