Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 12:08 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,740,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
The Northern part of E. Lake View near Irving is not super gentrified. It has many apartment buildings that are quite affordable and the area is actually kinda gritty still.
But otherwise I agree.
Gritty? Really? I live a block south of Irving, near Pine Grove, and gritty is the last word I would use to describe this neighborhood. The only grittiness comes from the trash left behind by roving bands of Cubs-fan yuppies on game day. It's an alright neighborhood to live in, but I think that description is a bit skewed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 07:21 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNaomi View Post
Gritty? Really? I live a block south of Irving, near Pine Grove, and gritty is the last word I would use to describe this neighborhood. The only grittiness comes from the trash left behind by roving bands of Cubs-fan yuppies on game day. It's an alright neighborhood to live in, but I think that description is a bit skewed.
Go by Broadway. Check out the wonderful inhabitants of the Hotel Chateau and the Gill Park co-op around Grace.Are you that isolated from what is just a few blocks from you? You must not get around much or go out late at all,even Lookoutkid knows these things about E.Lakeview and he lives in Buena Park.

There is a lady that sleeps in front of the Subway or Hearty Boys when its sunny out and/or warm. She begs in front of the Liquor store or the Starbucks almost everday.Go into Gill Park late at night and you will see at times a half dozen homeless people that sleep there.

If you want pictures you will get them.
Do you work for Helen Schiller? lol

Old 04-28-2008, 08:48 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
A long time ago people had self respect and would not make a spectacle of themselves. Then the hippies went to law school and got the courts to side with them in arguments that cities could not violate the rights of the slothful, flithy and shiftless to lay about and make nuisances of themselves. In San Fran there are thousands of fools that think bums ought to be showcased as tourist attractions. Chicago's population of "street screechers" is tiny by comparison. Enough misguided folks, Ald. Schiller among them, seem to get some twisted sense of nostalgia for their own misspent hippie youth and encourage these ner'do-wells...
My personal favorite are the folks who get fat running their little scams, when the crowds die down and they pull out their cell phones and cigarettes I wonder how their tax returns compare to the fools how "spared 'em some change"...

Funny thing is there is probably enough density of foot traffic in some places like Naperville that I suspect that fine city will soon have to decide which camp they are going to get into. Law and order or gullible backers of con artists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago