Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 08:18 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,089,744 times

Advertisements

^^^^ sorry damba, but I don't get the sense that millennials are flocking to Chicago in great numbers. But, they most certainly are flocking to Austin, Nashville, Denver, Seattle, SF/San Jose, Dallas, Phoenix, NYC and others.

I honestly think a lot of millenials view Chicago as intimidating, high crime, dirty politics, nasty winters, and not very much recreational opportunities. So, I think you're mistaken, amigo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 01:20 AM

3,219 posts, read 3,642,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
^^^^ sorry damba, but I don't get the sense that millennials are flocking to Chicago in great numbers. But, they most certainly are flocking to Austin, Nashville, Denver, Seattle, SF/San Jose, Dallas, Phoenix, NYC and others.

I honestly think a lot of millenials view Chicago as intimidating, high crime, dirty politics, nasty winters, and not very much recreational opportunities. So, I think you're mistaken, amigo.
I am among the youngest of Millennials, and I think that Chicago is very popular amongst my generation. I choose to live here. Chicago attracts a lot of educated young people from around the Midwest and even the rest of the country and the world. I know people my age from California, Colorado, Arizona, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Ohio, Singapore, India, and China who have come here to work in prominent industries like accounting, entertainment, medicine, and securities trading. I also know many who have come here to pursue graduate education at our many leading academic institutions. There is some data to support my perception.

Chicago and New York are clusters of millennial-laden zip codes

New York has the largest population of millennials residents, followed by Chicago.

Where Educated Millennials Are Moving..."Chicago far outperformed all other core cities in gaining educated Millennials"

Old 03-05-2019, 06:44 AM

1,080 posts, read 850,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
This thread, is why the Chicago/New York, or Chicago/Houston comparisons are silly and fruitless. People still don't get it.
I'm not sure I've ever seen or heard Chicago/Houston comparisons anywhere except on this forum (even though I've known plenty of people in both cities), and even then only a few times from the same one or two posters.

Old 03-05-2019, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
My point being, simply, that the race matters less than the country having just left.
I got your point, I don't necessarily disagree with it, and I don't think my post contradicts it. I consider the observation I posted to be the more relevant one in terms of putting U.S. politics in a global perspective, but I realize that's a matter of opinion.

Old 03-05-2019, 07:15 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,995,247 times
Quote:

Chicago has always been popular among millennials, especially in the Midwest because of the Big Ten feeder schools. Add to that, the large consulting/finance/banking/marketing presence, and it makes it a very popular city for millennials nationally. I agree that they are also flocking to the other cities you listed, but Chicago is definitely in that group.

Old 03-05-2019, 07:53 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,318,317 times
Quote:

You are simply incorrect and out of the loop. Sorry that reality does not fit your narrative.

Old 03-05-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Spoken like someone from Phoenix who hasn't spent much time among the residential population of Chicago. Hell, I *wish* Millennials weren't flocking to us-- our rent would still be reasonable!

Old 03-05-2019, 08:07 AM

3,219 posts, read 3,642,782 times
Quote:
I honestly think that this is pretty hilarious as a Millennial. Please read my post above and check out the articles.

Old 03-05-2019, 08:46 AM

45 posts, read 33,303 times
Quote:

Actually, the Loop and the North Side (especially Logan Square and the lakefront neighborhoods) are booming with large influxes of liberal millennial yuppies. However, the City of Chicago overall is experiencing a net population loss because the growth in these neighborhoods can't compensate for the hemorrhage of residents on the South and West Sides (where the overwhelming majority of the city's violent crimes occur.)

I know I'm going off-topic from the thread here, but I bristle when people define Chicago by its crime rate and talk as though the whole city is a war zone. Most of the city's violent crimes are concentrated in a handful of neighborhoods, and as long as you stay out of those areas, your chances of being mugged or shot should be minuscule. The same phenomenon applies to crime in most other cities: every city has areas where crime rates are particularly high. That said, I do NOT mean to imply that Chicago doesn't have a major crime problem; the statistics, news stories, and traumatic experiences of many South and West Siders most certainly suggest otherwise. All I'm saying is that too many people simply write off the entire city, which I don't think is fair at all.

"Not very much recreational opportunities?" There's Navy Pier, Museum Campus, Lincoln Park Zoo, the Art Institute, the Museum of Science & Industry, the Magnificent Mile, the White Sox, the Cubs, the Bulls, the Bears, numerous parks, and plenty of beaches, just to name a few. Whoever thinks Chicago has a shortage of recreational opportunities either hasn't spent much time in the city or hasn't bothered to do his research.

Last edited by agun77; 03-05-2019 at 09:18 AM..

Old 03-05-2019, 09:33 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,089,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Chicago has always been popular among millennials, especially in the Midwest because of the Big Ten feeder schools. Add to that, the large consulting/finance/banking/marketing presence, and it makes it a very popular city for millennials nationally. I agree that they are also flocking to the other cities you listed, but Chicago is definitely in that group.
Yeah, I'll concede that what you state is true. But from what I've seen in the media, Chicago isn't mentioned nearly as much of a millennial draw as the other high-tech cities I mentioned. Unfortunately most news on TV re: Chicago is in regard to the high murder rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago