Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2021, 08:23 AM

305 posts, read 213,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-guy View Post
Chicago consists of a bunch of liberal neighborhoods that vary in their idea of liberalism.
Since it's so segregated, ideas and ways of thinking change greatly in 2 miles.

Working class of lets say Belmont Craigin, Hermosa, etc has different values/ethics, thhan the white collar of Lincoln park a few miles east. Same with Austin a few miles south.

All liberal, just different ideas on it.
I just learned that Lincoln Park is 80% white. That was surprising to me given how diverse the city is. In all my years of living around that area, I don't think I ever met a conservative.

I'm reminded of the hilariously accurate witticism from the late Joseph Sobran:

“The purpose of a college education is to give you the correct view of minorities, and the means to live as far away from them as possible.”

As they say, 'diversity for thee, not for me.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2021, 08:34 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,474,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boddicker View Post
I just learned that Lincoln Park is 80% white. That was surprising to me given how diverse the city is. In all my years of living around that area, I don't think I ever met a conservative.

“The purpose of a college education is to give you the correct view of minorities, and the means to live as far away from them as possible.”

Well, the good news is it looks like at least one part of LP has been getting a dose of culturally enriching diversity...

https://blockclubchicago.org/2021/07...ne-owner-says/

This will be nothing but good for them, I'm sure. Once they stop calling the cops

Old 08-03-2021, 08:54 AM

4,659 posts, read 3,278,320 times
BRU67, thank you for sharing. I perused the article.

So the SAD thing for me, it seems that with the diversity being brought (which is a GOOD thing) also brought an incident that for some perpetuates the negative stereotype of people of color in the city (which is a BAD thing).

That said, Luella's in the Lincoln Square area is a Black-owned business. And to my knowledge there was never an episode of violence nor anything else to perpetuate a negative image of Black Americans.

Old 08-03-2021, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
BRU67, thank you for sharing. I perused the article.

So the SAD thing for me, it seems that with the diversity being brought (which is a GOOD thing) also brought an incident that for some perpetuates the negative stereotype of people of color in the city (which is a BAD thing).

That said, Luella's in the Lincoln Square area is a Black-owned business. And to my knowledge there was never an episode of violence nor anything else to perpetuate a negative image of Black Americans.
No problem Master Jay. I hope you are well. You won't hear about Luella's because it does not fit the narrative. What you will hear from our media is stories like this. Note that the comrades at Block Club Chicago just casually mention the loud noises, litter, unruly customers, fight, and 17 shots fired ("no one was hit," the article points out, so no biggie apparently). I'll go out on a limb here and venture that this is what has actually led to the police presence there, not "phony 911 calls." However, the article's dutiful focus is on the narrative, which is of course a "racist" white neighbourhood picking on a black-owned business.

My sympathy factor in this particular case is pretty low though, because I know that if this was happening in another neighborhood, those complaining neighbors would themselves be quick to employ a knee-jerk reaction without considering all the facts. I'm convinced that the only way people are going to learn how damaging "progressivism" is will be for them to get a dose of its downsides themselves. Unfortunately, in Chicago, it's possible to pretty much completely isolate yourself in a bubble, with rare exceptions like this happening from time to time.

Old 08-03-2021, 09:28 AM

BRU67, assuming all the complaints are true (loud noises, litter, unruly customers, fight, and 17 shots fired, etc.) I don't care WHAT color/ethnicity/race is involved! There is NO place for that kind of nonsense!

And yet when one mentions they do not put color at the forefront (see color, ALL lives matter, etc), some will blame them as "racist or insensitive."

Geez, you just can't win!

Old 08-03-2021, 09:50 AM

Quote:
BRU67, assuming all the complaints are true (loud noises, litter, unruly customers, fight, and 17 shots fired, etc.) I don't care WHAT color/ethnicity/race is involved! There is NO place for that kind of nonsense!

And yet when one mentions they do not put color at the forefront (see color, ALL lives matter, etc), some will blame them as "racist or insensitive."

Geez, you just can't win!
It's also really insulting and condescending to African-Americans, if not racist in its own right. This article essentially implies that this is the type of business that "those people" own, so anyone who complains about it is a racist. Unbelievable. It never ceases to amaze me what our progressives get away with, but they somehow do

Old 08-03-2021, 10:09 AM

BRU67, I feel like I need to play some good ol' songs like "Why can't we be friends?" and "Ebony and Ivory" right now. I'm in charge of music in the office right now, here in the jail.

Last night, like many nights in my classes I reiterated that ANYbody in class can be anyone or anything that they want to in life, and that they will earn REAL respect NOT by the clothes they wear or the car they drive; but rather for striving to be their best, their intelligence and their ability to be kind to others.

I have students of diverse ages, ethnic backgrounds and religions.

Am I prejudiced, then, since I do NOT see color??? Be honest with me, brother BRU67!

You know I have been a very frequent visitor to Chicago, and its many neighborhoods. Lincoln Square, as far as I can see, is rather Liberal. Edison Park, as far as I can see, is rather Conservative.. Of all the times I've visited, I have felt very comfortable in both these neighborhoods, despite them appearing to be politically rather "political opposites." I value them both greatly, and it has nothing to do with their political climate.

DARN ME!!! Why is that I just look past things like politics and race, etc.?!? I wish I could just be fixated on differences instead of similarities! (tongue-in cheek sarcasm!)

Old 08-03-2021, 10:18 AM

Quote:
BRU67, I feel like I need to play some good ol' songs like "Why can't we be friends?" and "Ebony and Ivory" right now. I'm in charge of music in the office right now, here in the jail.

Last night, like many nights in my classes I reiterated that ANYbody in class can be anyone or anything that they want to in life, and that they will earn REAL respect NOT by the clothes they wear or the car they drive; but rather for striving to be their best, their intelligence and their ability to be kind to others.

I have students of diverse ages, ethnic backgrounds and religions.

Am I prejudiced, then, since I do NOT see color??? Be honest with me, brother BRU67!

You know I have been a very frequent visitor to Chicago, and its many neighborhoods. Lincoln Square, as far as I can see, is rather Liberal. Edison Park, as far as I can see, is rather Conservative.. Of all the times I've visited, I have felt very comfortable in both these neighborhoods, despite them appearing to be politically rather "political opposites." I value them both greatly, and it has nothing to do with their political climate.

DARN ME!!! Why is that I just look past things like politics and race, etc.?!? I wish I could just be fixated on differences instead of similarities! (tongue-in cheek sarcasm!)
No, I do not believe so Master Jay. I think I've identified who the real prejudiced parties are. As has often been said, we battle the soft bigotry of low expectations!

Old 08-03-2021, 02:30 PM

738 posts, read 490,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boddicker View Post

That's brilliant!

Old 08-03-2021, 02:38 PM

I went to college for 6 years and earned 2 degrees. Thank God I did NOT learn to stay away from minorities!... Especially since being of Mexican descent, I would qualify as a "minority."

As you know, I really don't believe in those type of adjectives/titles, as they seem to serve more to separate us all versus bring us together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago