Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 01:20 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,110,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
OP here. Let's get back to the Jones candidacy.
Besides knowing Jones is a Nazi and supporting him and his cause, which is self explanatory and not further discussed here, which of the following is worse than the others?
a. Dislike Democrats so much that will vote for anyone else.
b. Have no idea who is who and just look for name recognition or a classic, American last name like "Jones".
c. Believing that the election is futile as the incumbent is virtually guaranteed to win, not going to vote.
a. I think this is dangerous. The difference between Democrats and Replican should not be comparable to the difference between American and Nazi. We, Americans, died fighting them not too long ago. I may not like Democrats but I will not vote for Nazi. This kind of voting sometimes send the wrong person to office. When I made the statement that "some times we deserve the people we vote into office", I refer to this voting attitude in general, not this particular case, as Jones lost.
b. I do not know how prevalent this is but I know a few of my friend giggling admitted this when all is said and done. Potentially dangerous.
c. Is this the rationale of the Republican party by not wasting time and money to send a candidate which they know will have little chance against the Democrat incumbent, a futile attempt ? I give credit to the Republican party for outright denouncing and not endorsing Jones but I am not sure about the decision letting Jones run unopposed in the primary, automatically sending him to the main election.
What do you guys think?
I just Googled Jones, and he is reportedly a "self proclaimed Nazi", so it wasn't an unfair label to place on him. Yeah, he shouldn't have gotten any votes whatsoever, I myself now wish I would have written in a vote for Winston Churchill or someone instead of simply skipping the race - live and learn.

But man, if this result isn't indicative of the collective anger at Illinois Democrats (and to be honest, Lipinski is about as conservative of a Democrat as you can get), I don't know what is. But even if it is anger bordering on hatred, it wasn't enough to change things, Lipinski still won in a landslide. I truly don't know why the ILGOP didn't primary him, maybe it didn't want to waste the money it would have taken? Now I know why you are so concerned - 55,000 people in one Congressional district willing to vote for a self-described Nazi instead of the Democratic incumbent? It will be a miracle if the state doesn't erupt in a civil war one of these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2018, 01:21 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,989,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
OP here. Let's get back to the Jones candidacy.

Besides knowing Jones is a Nazi and supporting him and his cause, which is self explanatory and not further discussed here, which of the following is worse than the others?
a. Dislike Democrats so much that will vote for anyone else.
b. Have no idea who is who and just look for name recognition or a classic, American last name like "Jones".
c. Believing that the election is futile as the incumbent is virtually guaranteed to win, not going to vote.

a. I think this is dangerous. The difference between Democrats and Replican should not be comparable to the difference between American and Nazi. We, Americans, died fighting them not too long ago. I may not like Democrats but I will not vote for Nazi. This kind of voting sometimes send the wrong person to office. When I made the statement that "some times we deserve the people we vote into office", I refer to this voting attitude in general, not this particular case, as Jones lost.

b. I do not know how prevalent this is but I know a few of my friend giggling admitted this when all is said and done. Potentially dangerous.

c. Is this the rationale of the Republican party by not wasting time and money to send a candidate which they know will have little chance against the Democrat incumbent, a futile attempt ? I give credit to the Republican party for outright denouncing and not endorsing Jones but I am not sure about the decision letting Jones run unopposed in the primary, automatically sending him to the main election.

What do you guys think?
Sorry to burst your bubble but this Jones guy and his ilk will always garner votes, regardless of trump, republicans, or whatever hysteria needs to be generated in 2018.

Even republicans said not to vote for this guy.

You should be more concerned about broward county Florida’s vote stealing; then again, the topic is crook county, where rigged and fraudulent elections were perfected.

Try to not let jones keep you awake at night. Geez.

Last edited by Kamms; 11-17-2018 at 01:46 PM..

Old 11-17-2018, 01:30 PM

14,796 posts, read 17,830,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
I just Googled Jones, and he is reportedly a "self proclaimed Nazi", so it wasn't an unfair label to place on him. Yeah, he shouldn't have gotten any votes whatsoever, I myself now wish I would have written in a vote for Winston Churchill or someone instead of simply skipping the race - live and learn.

But man, if this result isn't indicative of the collective anger at Illinois Democrats (and to be honest, Lipinski is about as conservative of a Democrat as you can get), I don't know what is. But even if it is anger bordering on hatred, it wasn't enough to change things, Lipinski still won in a landslide. I truly don't know why the ILGOP didn't primary him, maybe it didn't want to waste the money it would have taken? Now I know why you are so concerned - 55,000 people in one Congressional district willing to vote for a self-described Nazi instead of the Democratic incumbent? It will be a miracle if the state doesn't erupt in a civil war one of these days.
Is that why Roskam and Hultgren lost? Anger at Democrats? Trump is destroying the Republican Party.

Old 11-17-2018, 09:54 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,110,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Is that why Roskam and Hultgren lost? Anger at Democrats? Trump is destroying the Republican Party.
Please don't misunderstand, I didn't mean to imply the anger exists in a majority of the voters, which is what it takes to win elections. Illinois is a solid Blue state, and got even Bluer with this election. I think Rauner's willingness to shut down the state to harm the public sector unions had a much larger effect than Trump.

But from Jones' results, it appears that 25% or so of the voters are either clueless or so full of hate they would vote for a Nazi over a Democrat, and that's quite a revelation. I sure would like to see a poll of these voters - although I'm sure they are part of the 50% of voters who said they would leave the state if they could (from a poll taken in about 2015), how many are making active plans to do just that? It's no fun to feel like you have no representation in state government, and that's where I'm at now.

Old 11-21-2018, 01:11 AM

6,428 posts, read 6,979,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
You used the term "flight", which is what I was addressing. There is no black equivalent to white flight. We do not have the political and economic power to drive market conditions like that. You are taking two totally different circumstances and equating them because the end result looks similar (I.e. people leaving an area). I am clarifying the difference.
Race, race, race...

Whites leaving Gage Park or Marquette Park or Austin in the 1960s and 1970s didn't have any money either. They were mostly factory workers, and their home equity was typically zero (when you sell your house to an impoverished black family, you don't get much). It's a free country, and blacks move from one place to another for the same reason anybody else does - for a better life, to save money, to avoid crime, for the schools, to be closer to friends and relatives.

Old 11-21-2018, 02:26 PM

4,632 posts, read 3,510,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Race, race, race...
Yup. Welcome to America.

Old 11-22-2018, 12:28 AM

6,428 posts, read 6,979,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Yup. Welcome to America.
We are better than that. I don't care whether you are black, white, brown, green, or purple, if you are a human being you are as good (or as bad) as anyone else on this earth, until and unless your conduct proves otherwise. And that's how I'm going to treat you, and I invite my fellow Americans to do the same.

Old 11-24-2018, 03:27 PM

629 posts, read 554,245 times
who cares, you idiots voted in a billionaire who has never worked a day in his life to be governor who has pledged to raise your taxes...

Old 11-25-2018, 03:15 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,560,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
the comparison was comparing blind voting by party, NOT comparing a nazi to the moron madigan..

Both Madigans have graduate degrees--I may not care about them,but perhaps YOU'RE the moron. 1. Your English is lacking and 2. This was not the subject. Let me guess--you love Trump because "He speaks to me". Yes Trump's speaking has been analyzed and Newsweek and Politico rate him at a 3rd or 4th Grade Level.

Straight -ticket voting was already pointed out..

Old 12-10-2018, 10:32 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,989,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smegmatite View Post
who cares, you idiots voted in a billionaire who has never worked a day in his life to be governor who has pledged to raise your taxes...
The Chicago Pritzkers running Illinois...lol. At least the past 2 governors aren’t doing time in prison; some consolation I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago