Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 02:23 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,385,654 times

Advertisements

Anybody watching this? I'm a sucker for Top Chef anyway, and having it in Chicago adds an extra cool element. A lot of it's formulaic and not site-specific, but some of it is tailored for Chicago.

In the most recent episode they catered a block party in what I've deduced and gleaned from other sources was Ravenswood Manor (on Richmond, I think).

It's a kind of nice showcase of the city. I'm glad they moved around instead of just sticking to the Mag Mile or Gold Coast like some programs would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 02:31 PM

20 posts, read 86,281 times
The episode I cought was pretty interesting to me. The way they seem to parage them around in a convoy seems a bit odd though.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:42 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,802,842 times
Padma Lakshmi.

I never ate at Stephanie's former restaurant on Damen, but did eat at Arturo's this past week.(noticed that her fav is tostadas carnitas)

I'll pick Antonia to win. I think they will go with a female winner this year, and I like her better than the rest. Though once again, I think Stephanie will be her primary competition.

I'm also glad they primarily picked Sept to shoot the show.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:42 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,105,849 times
Top Chef has long been on my staple of reality TV must sees, along with such enriching masterpieces like Beauty and The Geek (where most of the girls have been from Chicago), Breaking Bonaduce, and the Real World/Road Rules challenge (although it hasn't been the same without The Miz)

So, my sophisticated television palette out of the way, I was glad to see Rick Bayless mention how it was insulting to see the menu that one team set for the block party. If I heard the Top Chef contestants were cooking for my block party, then I get there to eat corn dogs and pasta salad, I would be kind of pissed. So way to represent Rick.

Oh, and that spastic New York dude's got to go.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswynn View Post
The episode I cought was pretty interesting to me. The way they seem to parage them around in a convoy seems a bit odd though.
Well, yeah. It'd be cooler to see them taking the train, but A) Toyota clearly sponsored the show to have their Highlanders featured and B) they'd never get anywhere on time.

I mean, it's a big corporate show, but still kinda fun to see. Plus it was clearly shot in the summer, and that makes me ache for some leafy trees and short-sleeved shirts.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Top Chef has long been on my staple of reality TV must sees, along with such enriching masterpieces like Beauty and The Geek (where most of the girls have been from Chicago)
I met a couple of the dudes from Beauty and the Geek at a Sox game once. I never watched the show, but I was with my roommate and she was a fan. Really nice guys, actually. Ended up going to a BBQ with them in Bridgeport after the game.

Quote:
Oh, and that spastic New York dude's got to go.
I kinda like that dude. Andrew, is it?

Old 03-28-2008, 03:32 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
It drove me crazy how they kept wanting to cook for "middle America" in the block party episode... These jerks had no idea where they were. Ravenswood Manor is full of sophisticates with money, and those bungalows and other homes cost big bucks. Those people did not want corn dogs!

Old 03-28-2008, 03:34 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
I kinda like that dude. Andrew, is it?
Yep, that's his name. He's fricken' insane. I'd love to see him go, but he does add drama to the show. And he's actually pretty good when he's not acting like an idiot! (Or at least it appears that way, since none of us can really taste the food).

Old 03-28-2008, 07:18 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
Thumbs up Top Chef

LOVE that show. It's like a visit to Chicago.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:43 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
It drove me crazy how they kept wanting to cook for "middle America" in the block party episode... These jerks had no idea where they were. Ravenswood Manor is full of sophisticates with money, and those bungalows and other homes cost big bucks. Those people did not want corn dogs!
Ravenswood Manor is also filled with Blago!

If they want block party they need to go to Jefferson Park or even Autsin!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: