Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 07:41 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,719,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMack View Post
yo retard the island, galewood etc thats all Austin
You are confusing community boundaries with neighborhood boundaries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 08:11 AM

440 posts, read 1,506,817 times
As a proud former resident of Grant Works (and even prouder to be former, I might add), I'm gonna chime in:

Calling the North side of Roosevelt Road "Lawndale" is misleading until you cross Cicero and the tracks when you really, truly feel like you are in North Lawndale. I can't imagine anyone who has lived or spent any time in that area referring to the Roosevelt corridor as Lawndale, so my opinion is that any map showing it to be so is simply mistaken.

Most maps that I've seen show the border correctly, at the railroad tracks just east of Cicero.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NearWestSider View Post
As a proud former resident of Grant Works (and even prouder to be former, I might add), I'm gonna chime in:

Calling the North side of Roosevelt Road "Lawndale" is misleading until you cross Cicero and the tracks when you really, truly feel like you are in North Lawndale. I can't imagine anyone who has lived or spent any time in that area referring to the Roosevelt corridor as Lawndale, so my opinion is that any map showing it to be so is simply mistaken.

Most maps that I've seen show the border correctly, at the railroad tracks just east of Cicero.

This is basically what I said before. I did make a mistake because I neglected to mention "The Island" at first. I did correct myself in a latter post since I could not edit my omission of The Island in the below post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Uh north of Roosevelt is Lawndale starting at Central. Central Ave is 4 blocks from Austin Ave.

Once one gets near Kolmar going east both sides of Roosevelt are in Lawndale. One is completely surrounded by Lawndale and Homan Square for several miles.
Then I corrected my error here:

Quote:
The neighborhood north of Roosevelt to the Eisenhower is called The Island until one gets to Central. Then it is Lawndale.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:14 PM

760 posts, read 1,275,155 times
Default So it stands the "area" is Austin.

Quote:
You are confusing "community areas" with neighborhood boundaries.

Check the city's map.

" + theTitle + "
I said "the area is Austin". No confusion here.

http://egov.cityofchicago.org/webpor...eas_AUSTIN.pdf

Last edited by JoeyPants; 06-20-2009 at 01:15 PM.. Reason: link

Old 06-22-2009, 08:51 AM

http://www.cityofchicago.org/webportal/COCWebPortal/COC_EDITORIAL/City_Neighborhoods_8_5x11.pdf (broken link)

Old 07-02-2009, 08:11 PM

8 posts, read 46,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank0604 View Post
I coach a soccer program at Gregory middle school in Lawndale, near K-Town, and I have been very pleasantly surprised by the area. I walk through (about a 4 block walk) from the Kedzie/Homan Blue Line stop, and have had no problems. In fact, people even wave to me and say hello, something you don't even see in Bucktown.
I work at a school in K Town. It's about a 8 block walk from the Pulaski stop on the blue el line. Lots of foreclosures, abandoned buildings, and overgrown lawns BUT also plenty of smiling people that always say hello to me. I'm a teacher and as a white women, the locals who say hello always ask if I'm a teacher. No one has ever bothered me. I wouldn't think it would be safe to be there at night, or without a destination as it is a HIGH crime area.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:08 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,889,212 times
Default kf350

Do you walk the 8 blocks or do you drive to school. You are lucky nothing has happened to you. It is certainly not safe during the day, even less at night.

I think you would be well-advised to seek other employment or get a car at the very least.

Just wondering, do you feel like you are baby setting as a teacher in that area?

Old 03-16-2011, 03:15 PM

2 posts, read 7,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Some of my neighbors have talked about K-town and how it is good place to hang out. Mind you these are black, ghetto people talking here, so I pretty much expect it to be a rough area where I would stand out like a sore thumb as I am essentially a yuppie white guy. I get that.

Some of my former renters wanted me to go there with them to a place where they hung out. I took a pass.

The Mexicans and Puerto Ricans have never spoken of this area.

Still, I am curious about the neighborhood and its history. Obviously the name K-town comes from Kostner, Keeler, Kilpatrick etc streets that run thru the neighborhood. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
I can tell you not to trust your friends there most alikely gonna get you into trouble or rob you...And NO Im not racist i actullay live in K-town And im am puerto rican I rarely go outside unless I have to...Or im leaving out this crazy ass place i hear cops and shooting almost every other night and soon will be getting the hell out of this hell hole and moving by Ohare...But yeah anyways it would be smart if you stay away the only time you see white ppl here is if there buying drugs or driving through to get to work

Old 03-16-2011, 03:18 PM

2 posts, read 7,192 times
Your Actually very wrong your pretty much safe during the day because of all the cops that are in this neiborhood when you really need to worry is at night..

Old 03-16-2011, 03:25 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,275,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snr1922 View Post
I can tell you not to trust your friends there most alikely gonna get you into trouble or rob you...And NO Im not racist i actullay live in K-town And im am puerto rican I rarely go outside unless I have to...Or im leaving out this crazy ass place i hear cops and shooting almost every other night and soon will be getting the hell out of this hell hole and moving by Ohare...But yeah anyways it would be smart if you stay away the only time you see white ppl here is if there buying drugs or driving through to get to work
First this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by snr1922 View Post
Your Actually very wrong your pretty much safe during the day because of all the cops that are in this neiborhood when you really need to worry is at night..

Then that? Que?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago