Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 11:17 AM

6 posts, read 17,316 times

Advertisements

Any thoughts on Wicker Park vs. Lincoln park for a young single professional? Open to thoughts on West Loop and River North as well. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 11:22 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,578,435 times
Wicker Park is the most fun, has more retail variety of restaurants, boutique shops, 606 (similar to the High Line in NYC), independent bookstores, etc. Retains some of the counter-culture vibe from the 80s and 90s.

Lincoln Park has unbelievable parks/zoo's/lake access. Some of the most beautiful homes in the city too. IMO best restaurant as well - Chicago Oven Grinder. Also some blues clubs on Halsted. Huge fan of Kibbitznest on Clybourn/Webster too.

West Loop is expensive and very popular, skyrocketing property values, not much more than restaurants and pubs. IMO best coffee shop in the city - Sip Coffee on Grand/Ogden. Overall, pretty overrated. Still somewhat gritty in large parts; guess that's part of the charm. Great cigar shop at Morgan/Lake called Tesa.

River North is pretty homogenized (lots of high rises, hotels, tourists, bars/clubs, also bums). Nice if you work downtown and want to walk to work. Decent art district in the northern boundary. Plenty of mid-to-high end shopping in the adjacent Gold Coast and Michigan Avenue.

Verdict: you can't really go wrong in any of the them. If you're single, I'd recommend River North. If you're buying, I'd recommend West Loop. If you have kids, Lincoln Park. And if you're interested in a more hipster/vibrant/exciting neighborhood (think Williamsburg or the Pearl District), then absolutely Wicker Park.

Last edited by TBideon; 10-03-2017 at 11:35 AM..

Old 10-03-2017, 12:34 PM

6 posts, read 17,316 times
Thanks so much for the feedback! I am single and being in an area conducive to meet people is one of the big drivers of the move (currently live in a suburban area; 30-40s with kids). I'm not big on the club scene, but would like the opportunity to meet folks and make friends. Would you still recommend River North for that? I read on some other threads it was more for those into the club scene, etc. I'll be working from home, so no need to have easy access to downtown.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:54 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,986,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatonegirl55 View Post
Thanks so much for the feedback! I am single and being in an area conducive to meet people is one of the big drivers of the move (currently live in a suburban area; 30-40s with kids). I'm not big on the club scene, but would like the opportunity to meet folks and make friends. Would you still recommend River North for that? I read on some other threads it was more for those into the club scene, etc. I'll be working from home, so no need to have easy access to downtown.
I would go for Wicker Park or Lincoln Park if I were in your position.

Old 10-03-2017, 01:27 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I would go for Wicker Park or Lincoln Park if I were in your position.
I concur. Based on the info we have, I'd say no reason for you to live in River North.

Old 10-03-2017, 01:48 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
Default The biggest differences between Wicker Park and Lincoln Park are probably in the mix of people that are around ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatonegirl55 View Post
...especially during the "traditional" work hours. Given that Lincoln Park is more associated with the sorts of folks that tend to be labeled as "yuppie" and Wicker Park has a bit more of a "hip" mix of folks it probably makes sense to consider that.

Once upon a time there were LOTS of artsy types in River North but the rising costs and shifts in land uses have dampened that.

West Loop is not a terrible choice, but the layout of much of the area makes hard to have the same sort of "village" feel that is attractive in Lincoln Park or the neighborhood businesses that are appealing in Wicker Park..

Old 10-03-2017, 02:17 PM

15 posts, read 18,067 times
Hey I'm in a very similar position to you OP. I'm in my early to mid 20s and was weighing a few neighborhoods before I went to visit last weekend. I was also looking for a neighborhood that had a variety of amenities - namely a myriad of good restaurants, bars, coffee shops, boutique shops, had a friendly vibe, and the propensity to meet people etc. I was also heavily weighing Lincoln Park vs Wicker Park, and I have to say Wicker Park IMO blows Lincoln Square out the water.

Lincoln Square is great, but it feels very busy, commercialized, and is a cool place to go to hang out, but I personally wouldn't live there, and from what your're seeking, it isn't ideal for you either. The age range in the area varied, but it seems like it's mostly 28-35+ young professionals who are settling or settled down.

Wicker Park was quieter, but very quaint. Lots of great restaurants and bars, wide sidewalks so lots of outdoor seating, and it felt friendlier and had a neighborhood feel. I honestly would recommend it over Lincoln Park, but I also recommend you go visit and see what fits better with you.

Old 10-03-2017, 02:50 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,862,731 times
River North is by far the most "touristy" of the four. You'll find more "trendy" kinds of places. Generally bigger, more crowded restaurants, since the neighborhood is a mix of tourists and lots of young professionals who work downtown. For nightlife, this is the one neighborhood, you'll find more traditional "clubs/lounges" that you stereotypically think about, with young adults dressing up and places really crowded with loud music and dancing.

Lincoln Park has some variety because it is located next to the park to the east, which offers miles of greenery, bike trails, the zoo, the lake, etc. So you have access to real nature. Lots of restaurants, bars, shopping, etc. Definitely more of a traditional neighborhood feel to it. Then you have DePaul, so there are parts of the neighborhood where you'll find lots of college kids around the campus.

Don't know to much about Wicker Park, but it's the most artsy/hipster of the four areas (although apparently it's not nearly as hipster as it used to be). I go to a couple of restaurants there every once in a while, and it's definitely got a more unique, artsy/hipster feel compare to the other neighborhoods in question.

West Loop has lots of good restaurants and some cool bars. Definitely doesn't feel as "neighborhoody" as Lincoln Park or Wicker Park. You won't find as much immediate access to grocery stores or shopping directly in the West Loop.

Old 10-03-2017, 03:03 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,313,074 times
Compared to Lincoln Park, Wicker Park IMO still hasn't completely lost its grittier feel... if such a thing matters to you. And it's closer to some higher-crime areas to the west, which can sometimes cause problems for some who like to go barhopping and then walk home in the wee hours.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:04 PM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khasan122 View Post
Hey I'm in a very similar position to you OP. I'm in my early to mid 20s and was weighing a few neighborhoods before I went to visit last weekend. I was also looking for a neighborhood that had a variety of amenities - namely a myriad of good restaurants, bars, coffee shops, boutique shops, had a friendly vibe, and the propensity to meet people etc. I was also heavily weighing Lincoln Park vs Wicker Park, and I have to say Wicker Park IMO blows Lincoln Square out the water.

Lincoln Square is great, but it feels very busy, commercialized, and is a cool place to go to hang out, but I personally wouldn't live there, and from what your're seeking, it isn't ideal for you either. The age range in the area varied, but it seems like it's mostly 28-35+ young professionals who are settling or settled down.

Wicker Park was quieter, but very quaint. Lots of great restaurants and bars, wide sidewalks so lots of outdoor seating, and it felt friendlier and had a neighborhood feel. I honestly would recommend it over Lincoln Park, but I also recommend you go visit and see what fits better with you.
You are using Lincoln Park and Lincoln Square interchangeably here. Those are two different neighborhoods, OP. Lincoln Square is further north, away from the center of the city. A bit more affordable and a nice neighborhood for sure. Pretty different from Lincoln Park...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago