Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2017, 07:45 AM

15 posts, read 18,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
You are using Lincoln Park and Lincoln Square interchangeably here. Those are two different neighborhoods, OP. Lincoln Square is further north, away from the center of the city. A bit more affordable and a nice neighborhood for sure. Pretty different from Lincoln Park...
Apologies, I meant to reference Lincoln Park throughout. I didn't go to Lincoln Square at all
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 10:13 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,987,538 times
OP, you might want to check out Lincoln Square. It's a pretty laid back area, lots of people in your age group. Lots of families, but by no means exclusively families. If you go, check out the stretch of Lincoln Avenue around the actual Square which is a block or 2 south of Lawrence. Cafe Selmarie is great and has outside seating right on the square. The Book Cellar is a good independent bookstore with frequent writer appearances. Artango Bistro gives tango lessons, the Old Town School of music is right down the block. Merz Apothecary is great if you like things like imported soaps, candles, grooming products. I live in a small neighborhood between there and Andersonville and I'm constantly walking over to one or the other.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:14 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khasan122 View Post
Hey I'm in a very similar position to you OP. I'm in my early to mid 20s and was weighing a few neighborhoods before I went to visit last weekend. I was also looking for a neighborhood that had a variety of amenities - namely a myriad of good restaurants, bars, coffee shops, boutique shops, had a friendly vibe, and the propensity to meet people etc. I was also heavily weighing Lincoln Park vs Wicker Park, and I have to say Wicker Park IMO blows Lincoln Square out the water.

Lincoln Square is great, but it feels very busy, commercialized, and is a cool place to go to hang out, but I personally wouldn't live there, and from what your're seeking, it isn't ideal for you either. The age range in the area varied, but it seems like it's mostly 28-35+ young professionals who are settling or settled down.

Wicker Park was quieter, but very quaint. Lots of great restaurants and bars, wide sidewalks so lots of outdoor seating, and it felt friendlier and had a neighborhood feel. I honestly would recommend it over Lincoln Park, but I also recommend you go visit and see what fits better with you.
Lincoln Park and Lincoln Square are nowhere near each other. Lincoln Park is old money, near downtown, lots of yuppie-type singles and families. Lincoln Square, four miles to the north and halfway to the city limits, is ethnic (German, Greek, etc.) middle class, with a recent influx of hipsters and yuppies.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:46 PM

27 posts, read 27,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khasan122 View Post
Apologies, I meant to reference Lincoln Park throughout. I didn't go to Lincoln Square at all
Well, now you have a new place to check out! We don't live there, but we take the train up on weekends to hang out and enjoy the atmosphere. Lincoln Square is very nice with good mix of people, some fun street festivals, a nice library and good shops and restaurants. It's got a completely different feel to it than Wicker Park, Bucktown and Logan Square with the main advantage being it's on the Brown Line.

Old 10-05-2017, 07:17 AM

11 posts, read 13,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee-Mom View Post
Lincoln Square is very nice with good mix of people, some fun street festivals, a nice library and good shops and restaurants. It's got a completely different feel to it than Wicker Park, Bucktown and Logan Square with the main advantage being it's on the Brown Line.
As someone who recently moved from Bucktown to Lincoln Square/North Center, i disagree with the Brown Line being considered an advantage. The Blue Line will get you from Damen in Bucktown/Wicker Park to the Loop in 10mins while the Brown Line from Montrose takes 30mins. If you're commuting to the Loop, Logan Square, Bucktown and Wicker Park are hard to beat.

Old 10-05-2017, 07:25 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,678,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remk View Post
As someone who recently moved from Bucktown to Lincoln Square/North Center, i disagree with the Brown Line being considered an advantage. The Blue Line will get you from Damen in Bucktown/Wicker Park to the Loop in 10mins while the Brown Line from Montrose takes 30mins. If you're commuting to the Loop, Logan Square, Bucktown and Wicker Park are hard to beat.
What? The brown line from Western is usually 30 minutes.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:13 AM

11 posts, read 13,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
What? The brown line from Western is usually 30 minutes.
You're right. I was estimating based on my recollection. CTA timetables list Montrose to Washington/Wells (first stop in the Loop) at 25mins. The Blue Line Damen to Clark is listed at 8mins.

Old 10-05-2017, 10:04 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,678,955 times
Quote:
You're right. I was estimating based on my recollection. CTA timetables list Montrose to Washington/Wells (first stop in the Loop) at 25mins. The Blue Line Damen to Clark is listed at 8mins.
Yeah, Damen Blue is much quicker. No doubt.

Old 10-05-2017, 07:51 PM

27 posts, read 27,532 times
Quote:
Good to know! I missed the part about the OP needing to go directly to The Loop. My stops are mostly on The Brown Line and in Near North so I'm biased, but The Blue would be good for direct routes to The Loop or airport.

Whatever line you take, Lincoln Square is still worth a look.

Last edited by Coffee-Mom; 10-05-2017 at 07:52 PM.. Reason: Lincoln Square

Old 10-06-2017, 09:43 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,441,745 times
If you're not into the jet-set life I wouldn't move to River North; not worth dealing with the traffic & sirens IMO. Though the further areas near the river are more chill. Honestly, it depends on if you want new or old housing, high-rise or low-rise, near parks or near bars, active or quiet, clean or gritty, old money vs. new money, etc. And honestly you can find a mix of those even within neighborhood boundaries. Your criteria could include other parts of the North side: Lakeview, Lincoln Square, Ukrainian Village, Bucktown, etc. You should try and narrow down what you want a little more, or come visit the city first, or just throw a dart and move here because you can't really go too wrong with those neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago