Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 03:44 PM

306 posts, read 365,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniqueBeing26 View Post
The commute from Edgewater on the red/brown line is 50 minutes? That sounds like a lot.
Give or take 5-10 minutes, yeah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 11:26 AM

6 posts, read 12,999 times
Default East of Broadway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
We loved our time in Edgewater (we were east of Broadway). Apartments there were quite affordable, and I knew several grad students living in studios there at the time. Not sure if they quite hit the $850 mark, but probably not too far off.

Hey you actually liked the area east of Broadway? Most posts I read stated west of Broadway is better, and if you can, try not to live around Kenmore and Winthrop. The entire strip from Foster to near Loyola Campus. It is unfortunate though, because most of the apartments are in that area. Especially the cheaper ones.

Old 06-01-2017, 11:39 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,410,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniqueBeing26 View Post
Hey you actually liked the area east of Broadway? Most posts I read stated west of Broadway is better, and if you can, try not to live around Kenmore and Winthrop. The entire strip from Foster to near Loyola Campus. It is unfortunate though, because most of the apartments are in that area. Especially the cheaper ones.
Yes! 5 years on Granville and didn't have a problem. Close to the el. Close to the lake. Close to lakeshore path. Near Metropolis <3 Decent apartments, nice tree-lined streets, and relatively quiet from Loyola through Thorndale.

Old 06-01-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Yes! 5 years on Granville and didn't have a problem. Close to the el. Close to the lake. Close to lakeshore path. Near Metropolis <3 Decent apartments, nice tree-lined streets, and relatively quiet from Loyola through Thorndale.
I'm surprised. East of Broadway, Sheridan is nice and Kenmore is iffy. I typically avoid Winthrop from Lawrence up to Loyola. Every time there's a shooting nearby, I assume it's in that corridor.

Old 06-01-2017, 01:27 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,410,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsboost View Post
I'm surprised. East of Broadway, Sheridan is nice and Kenmore is iffy. I typically avoid Winthrop from Lawrence up to Loyola. Every time there's a shooting nearby, I assume it's in that corridor.
Yes, I'm sure there have been some issues on Kenmore and Winthrop, but I'm simply stating that the most problems I experienced in 5 yrs living on Granville were some homeless people outside of Aldi. I really like Edgewater and think it's a pretty underrated neighborhood.

Crime has been generally decreasing in the neighborhood:

Edgewater -- Crime in Chicagoland -- chicagotribune.com

Old 06-01-2017, 02:29 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,637,153 times
LOL @ "dont go east of broadway". you guys are spouting off like 25 year old advice or you have really delicate sensibilities when it comes to urban living. it may have been not all that great an area in the past, but has anyone saying this actually bothered to walk around there in recent years? i cant imagine anyone having a problem living there.

shootings are extremely rare compared to the rest of the city. there have been a few closer to argyle and the Aaragon ballroom in the past 5 years, but A) thats Uptown, and B) theyre still not as common as people make them out to be.

if anything the area is somewhat sleepy.

Old 06-01-2017, 03:15 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,323,169 times
IMO Kenmore and Winthrop north of Foster aren't so bad.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:24 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,236,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Unless you are going by the "marketing name" of calling Uptown "Ravenswood" your geography is off --
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ravenswood,_Chicago Of course by using the marketing name that is one way to get an apartment for $850...

Actually going by google maps -- https://goo.gl/maps/1m752puaSAw Nearly three miles by bicycle and since you'd be crossing several major thoroughfares (Damen, Ashland, Clark, Broadway, Sheridan) as well as several other cross streets and numerous parking lots entrances before getting the "highway" that is Lake Shore Drive at Montrose Beach the estimate of 15 minutes is much more realistic...
I considered Ravenswood to stretch from Clark to Damen, Montrose to Lawrence.

800 units of house numbers = 1 mile in Chicago. Clark is at 1400 West (at Montrose) and Damen is 2000. The lakefront path is at about 600, where it crosses Montrose Ave. Thus, the ride from Clark/Montrose to the lakefront path would be exactly 800 units, or one mile. Google it and you get 1.1 miles. The ride from Damen/Montrose would be a distance of 1400 units, or 1.75 miles. Google maps says a ride time of 7 minutes although of course traffic lights and one's own athletic abilities will affect this estimate.

I love that Chicago's grid system is so geometric and easy to calculate.

Old 06-02-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
LOL @ "dont go east of broadway". you guys are spouting off like 25 year old advice or you have really delicate sensibilities when it comes to urban living. it may have been not all that great an area in the past, but has anyone saying this actually bothered to walk around there in recent years? i cant imagine anyone having a problem living there.
Not sure if this was directed at me, but nobody said to stay west of Broadway. I was born and raised in Uptown and live in Edgewater now, so I know both neighborhoods well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
shootings are extremely rare compared to the rest of the city. there have been a few closer to argyle and the Aaragon ballroom in the past 5 years, but A) thats Uptown, and B) theyre still not as common as people make them out to be.
If there's a shooting in Edgewater (I never said there's a lot), I'm putting money on it being in the Winthrop/Thorndale area.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:10 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianRavenwood View Post
I considered Ravenswood to stretch from Clark to Damen, Montrose to Lawrence.

800 units of house numbers = 1 mile in Chicago. Clark is at 1400 West (at Montrose) and Damen is 2000. The lakefront path is at about 600, where it crosses Montrose Ave. Thus, the ride from Clark/Montrose to the lakefront path would be exactly 800 units, or one mile. Google it and you get 1.1 miles. The ride from Damen/Montrose would be a distance of 1400 units, or 1.75 miles. Google maps says a ride time of 7 minutes although of course traffic lights and one's own athletic abilities will affect this estimate.

I love that Chicago's grid system is so geometric and easy to calculate.

The Clark is the traditional EASTERN border of Ravenswood, it stretches all the way to the Chicago River at Foster Ave, that would the 3000 block...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago