Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving from New York City to Chicago, seeking information on; Chicago areas to live, Middle eastern community and culture in Chicago, hip, student friendly neighborhoods

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 09:56 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,667,509 times

Advertisements

Hyde Park has two forms of public transit- the bus and the metra electric.

The metra electric line is an easy ride from it's Chicago downtown station at Millennium Park to Hyde Park- only about 15-20 minutes, but it doesn't run as frequently as the el.

You can see its schedule online: Metra / Electric Line Schedules

So you could essentially live anywhere along an el line, take the el to the loop and get on the metra electric and get to Hyde Park. You can see how time adds up right?

I don't know a lot about the buses to Hyde Park, maybe one of those makes more sense? CTA's Web site: Chicago Transit Authority | 1-888-YOURCTA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 11:11 AM

287 posts, read 1,029,642 times
I hope this is helpful, because I know it will be far from complete. The largest actual Middle Eastern population centers in Chicagoland are actually in the SW suburbs, not the city. That being said there are Middle Eastern communities in the city as mentioned. They're not particularly conveniently located to Hyde Park.

There's a Palestine Film Festival that begins near the end of April. I don't know about lecture series and such because it's not really my scene. Not really what you asked for, here's a list Islamic Cultural Centers and Mosques (broken link), but they may be able to help you more.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:59 AM

190 posts, read 983,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by egyptian View Post
thanks, very helpful. about how long is the commute from these neighborhoods to Hyde Park? and is there a reliable metro line that goes there (and does it run all night)? i guess another option would be living close to the metro stop in hyde park so at least i'd have easy access to downtown?
I'm also moving from New York City to Chicago and will also be working at the U of C in a few months, so I've researched this topic on the CTA website.

There are actually a few ways to get to Hyde Park/U of C by public transit that seems, at the very least, efficient. I've been told safety (within the surrounding areas of the U of C) could be a concern, but generally it's okay.

So the simplest way is to take the East 63rd/Cottage Grove branch of the Green Line to the East 63rd/Cottage Grove terminus. From there you can walk north on Cottage Grove and arrive at the edge of the U of C proper on 59th Street.

An alternative could be to take the 95th/Dan Ryan bound Red Line to the Garfield station and catch the No. 174 bus to its turn-around at 57th Street and University Avenue (sort of in the center of the U of C campus). If you live on the Green Line, and would rather not transfer trains, you can catch the No. 174 bus as well by getting off at the Garfield station (which is not the same Garfield station as the one on the Red Line).

There's also a bus with a rather direct/express route to Hyde Park and the U of C. The No. 192 (the U of C Hospitals Express) goes from the Ogilvie Transportation Center in the West Loop and makes stops at Union Station before arriving at 59th Street/Goldblatt Pavilion at the U of C Hospitals.

For the return trip there's the No. 173 (the Lakeview Express) which goes from the U of C back toward downtown only, in the afternoon/evenings. Its northern terminus is Belmont and Sheridan in Lakeview, but it makes several stops along the way in the South Loop, River North, Gold Coast, Lincoln Park, etc.

The Nos. 2, 4, 6, and 10 all seem to go from the downtown area to the U of C, or within a stone's throw.

The Metra Electric Line also runs down to the U of C campus. The best stop to use is the 57th Street stop (apparently not the 59th Street stop) because there's a free CTA bus (with U of C identification) that takes you to the campus.

Anyway, there's a ton of ways to get down there.

Good luck. Maybe I'll see you around Hyde Park.

Old 03-08-2008, 01:59 AM

7 posts, read 17,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castro Viejo View Post
I'm also moving from New York City to Chicago and will also be working at the U of C in a few months, so I've researched this topic on the CTA website.

There are actually a few ways to get to Hyde Park/U of C by public transit that seems, at the very least, efficient. I've been told safety (within the surrounding areas of the U of C) could be a concern, but generally it's okay.

So the simplest way is to take the East 63rd/Cottage Grove branch of the Green Line to the East 63rd/Cottage Grove terminus. From there you can walk north on Cottage Grove and arrive at the edge of the U of C proper on 59th Street.

An alternative could be to take the 95th/Dan Ryan bound Red Line to the Garfield station and catch the No. 174 bus to its turn-around at 57th Street and University Avenue (sort of in the center of the U of C campus). If you live on the Green Line, and would rather not transfer trains, you can catch the No. 174 bus as well by getting off at the Garfield station (which is not the same Garfield station as the one on the Red Line).

There's also a bus with a rather direct/express route to Hyde Park and the U of C. The No. 192 (the U of C Hospitals Express) goes from the Ogilvie Transportation Center in the West Loop and makes stops at Union Station before arriving at 59th Street/Goldblatt Pavilion at the U of C Hospitals.

For the return trip there's the No. 173 (the Lakeview Express) which goes from the U of C back toward downtown only, in the afternoon/evenings. Its northern terminus is Belmont and Sheridan in Lakeview, but it makes several stops along the way in the South Loop, River North, Gold Coast, Lincoln Park, etc.

The Nos. 2, 4, 6, and 10 all seem to go from the downtown area to the U of C, or within a stone's throw.

The Metra Electric Line also runs down to the U of C campus. The best stop to use is the 57th Street stop (apparently not the 59th Street stop) because there's a free CTA bus (with U of C identification) that takes you to the campus.

Anyway, there's a ton of ways to get down there.

Good luck. Maybe I'll see you around Hyde Park.
Thanks for the help!
y
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago