Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 08:48 PM

391 posts, read 1,303,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Not to mention, quite a few towns in NW Indiana are closer to Chicago than some of the northwest and southwest suburbs. It isn't really that weird when you think about it. In New York cities in New Jersey are considered part of the metro area because they are close by, and cities in Virginia are part of the DC metro area, so it isn't as uncommon as one might think.
Wow I had no idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 10:02 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Lots of metros span state lines. Charlotte. KC. Memphis. St. Louis. Cincinnati. Louisville. Portland, to an extent.

It's not uncommon.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:07 PM

904 posts, read 2,873,183 times
In NY, we actually call it the "Tri-State Area" for New York, New Jersey Connecticut. It includes pretty much the entire northern half of New Jersey, plus Fairfield County, Connecticut. Some census definitions include Pike County, Pennsylvania as part of the NY metro, but I don't really buy that. So yeah, it's pretty common, and you see it in a number of other places, as others have mentioned.

As for Chicagoland.....is it me or that just a really weird phrase, when you think about it? I've gotten used to it by now, but the first time I heard it I was like "Chicagoland! That's what they call the Chicago region....it sounds like an amusement park with deep-dish pizza and Al Capone." I figured out what it meant immediately, but I just think it sounds strange, almost silly, like a board game or something.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:08 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times
Oh, I'm with you in that it is a silly phrase (but sometimes silly phrases just catch on and stick), but I don't find it odd that a metro area would encompass more than one state.

I remember even joking with friends about it when younger saying things like "chicagoland, just like disneyland, but colder, flatter, and with no rides".

Old 03-02-2008, 10:08 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwattagelimit View Post
As for Chicagoland.....is it me or that just a really weird phrase, when you think about it? I've gotten used to it by now, but the first time I heard it I was like "Chicagoland! That's what they call the Chicago region....it sounds like an amusement park with deep-dish pizza and Al Capone." I figured out what it meant immediately, but I just think it sounds strange, almost silly, like a board game or something.
I found it silly when I first moved here, too. I barely notice it now.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:09 PM

904 posts, read 2,873,183 times
Another thought about this...ever been to New Jersey? The vast majority of the state is either a suburb of NYC, or a suburb of Philly. There are cities in NJ, but people don't really associate with them.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:11 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,510,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoro View Post
Wow out of state places? That's kinda wierd.
It's the same as the NYC metro area taking in Jersey, Long Island, Manhattan, the Yonkers/New Rochelle area, and part of CT.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:50 AM

46 posts, read 152,375 times
In the case of San Diego, a big part of its metro area isn't even in the United States

Old 03-03-2008, 12:43 PM

249 posts, read 685,371 times
Chicagoland is a word that was invented by a newspaper (the Chicago Tribune) back in the day when newspapers were actually important enough to make a word stick. From Wikipedia:

Colonel Robert R. McCormick, editor and publisher of the Chicago Tribune, usually gets credit for placing the term in common use.[7][8] McCormick's conception of Chicagoland stretched all the way to nearby parts of Iowa and Michigan.[9] The first usage came on July 27, 1926 (page 1) with the headline: "Chicagoland's Shrines: A Tour of Discoveries" by reporter James O'Donnell Bennett. He claimed that Chicagoland comprised everything in a 200 mile radius in every direction and reported on many different places in the area. The Tribune was the dominant newspaper in a vast area stretching to the west of the city, and that hinterland was closely tied to the metropolis by rail lines and commercial links.[10]

Old 03-03-2008, 01:01 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
I think most people would associate Chicagoland as the 10 county area with 9,725,317 people as of 2007.

I thought it was funny when I moved here, but now I don't even think twice. It's just.....Chicagoland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago